Ways to get more protein in my diet??

Options
I struggle to get enough protein in my diet during the day because I’m not a big meat eater and have recently become allergic to eggs.
Any suggestions as to what I can eat or supplement with to up my protein?

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, beans, meatless products (tofu, seitan, etc)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Added to the list, Tofu. It is easier if you incorporate a little protein in every meal. It all adds up. Do you like ground meat better? Meat and fish is a great source for protein.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    I find that a protein bar with lunch is an easy way for me to boost up my intake.
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    In your situation, I would start doing some research into vegan/vegetarian meal planning, for body builders. That type of literature will have information about getting adequate protein supply from non animal sources, which you seem to favor.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese is a great source of protein. And there is no shame in having a protein shake or bar.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt and cottage cheese have a lot of protein for the calories (especially the lower fat versions). You can sneak more into yogurt by adding protein powder too.
  • lexie_houghton
    lexie_houghton Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I love Greek yogurt but can’t get by the texture of cottage cheese.
    I haven’t tried protein bars or protein shakes and there are so many kinds I don’t even know where to start!
    In terms of meat I usually only favour chicken and fish, although I do eat red meat sometimes.
    I’ll definitely have to check out tofu! I’ve had it before but have no idea how to cook it.
  • DvrDawg
    DvrDawg Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I make a protein smoothie - Chobani yogurt with fruit, then frozen fruit, scoop of protein powder and some ice - if you want it a little more "sweet" -you can put in a packet of splenda/stevia/s&l. Put it in a blender and it comes out like a milkshake/frosty. Good as a cold treat after a tough workout - I look forward to them. I have played around and have made many flavors (Pineapple, strawberry, mixed berry, peach, watermelon, blueberry) -whatever fruit yogurt i find, i just buy corresponding frozen fruit and vanilla protein powder.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Beans are really easy to add in, you can bulk up virtually anything with some sort of bean from salads to throwing some in with your mince/ground meat dishes.

Greek yoghurt, skyr, any protein bar (though I find them a bit too calorie dense for my liking), protein shakes (you can usually get smaller tester packs to try before fully committing), tuna with sandwiches or a salad at lunch, quorn as an alternative to tofu. So many options! I agree with the suggestion to look up some veggie and vegan recipes to get more ideas too.
  • DvrDawg
    DvrDawg Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Try making your own protein smoothie - in a blender, put chobani fruit flavor yogurt (pick your favorite), get the same frozen fruit and put in, a scoop of vanilla protein powder and then some ice. Blend it and it makes a great tasting frozen smoothie - I look forward to them. You can add stevia/splenda if you want a little sweeter but I like them without it. You can make any flavor combination you can think of to create variety.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Search for "vegetarian protein sources" in bing or google - there are plenty of lists out there. Also, if "meat" for you doesn't include fish, there are a lot of aquatic protein sources out there, with or without backbones.
  • Daveacpa2
    Daveacpa2 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I love Greek yogurt but can’t get by the texture of cottage cheese.
    I haven’t tried protein bars or protein shakes and there are so many kinds I don’t even know where to start!
    In terms of meat I usually only favour chicken and fish, although I do eat red meat sometimes.
    I’ll definitely have to check out tofu! I’ve had it before but have no idea how to cook it.

I like Quest Bars, I find them to be the best tasting with high protein and fiber for only 190 calories.
  • lexie_houghton
    Options
    chgodvr wrote: »
    I make a protein smoothie - Chobani yogurt with fruit, then frozen fruit, scoop of protein powder and some ice - if you want it a little more "sweet" -you can put in a packet of splenda/stevia/s&l. Put it in a blender and it comes out like a milkshake/frosty. Good as a cold treat after a tough workout - I look forward to them. I have played around and have made many flavors (Pineapple, strawberry, mixed berry, peach, watermelon, blueberry) -whatever fruit yogurt i find, i just buy corresponding frozen fruit and vanilla protein powder.

That sounds delicious! I’ll try it out! Thanks!
  • lexie_houghton
    Options
    Beans are really easy to add in, you can bulk up virtually anything with some sort of bean from salads to throwing some in with your mince/ground meat dishes.

Greek yoghurt, skyr, any protein bar (though I find them a bit too calorie dense for my liking), protein shakes (you can usually get smaller tester packs to try before fully committing), tuna with sandwiches or a salad at lunch, quorn as an alternative to tofu. So many options! I agree with the suggestion to look up some veggie and vegan recipes to get more ideas too.

I agree that protein bars seem a bit calorie dense, but I’ll definitely try out your other suggestions!
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Your best bet is likely going to be to incorporate a protein shake of some sort. Make your own smoothies or simply mix up a shake. If you make smoothies using protein powders you can get unflavored varieties at most stores, but if adding fruit, be aware that the calories can soar. I use protein isolates because I am lactose intolerant. Isolates have the lactose removed, and are faster absorbed so great for right after a workout to reduce the chance of getting DOMS.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    It seems you are sensitive to texture. I am too.

The very simplest protein powder to get is the whey protein isolate. You can get that at Bulk Barn and then you can decide how much flavouring to add. Try shredding some ice, add yogurt and the fruit of your choice.

I also have tried brown rice protein powder and it isn't bitter either.

Try imitation crab sticks. It's bland fish without the bones.
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    I am into plant based protein powder- the brand I use I get off amazon- but I have seen it in some walmarts. It is called" Country Farms Plant protein shake". It is vanilla flavor. It is made of rice, pea, hemp and Quinoa protein. To me it is delicious and I love because it does not use soy- I personally can not have soy products. It is only 90 calories a scoop and 15 grams of protein. I only use 1/2 scoop each day mixed with fruit and almond milk some sweetener and it is delicious. The different kind of fruit determines the flavor because you can use pineapples or berries or chocolate etc.- you get the picture.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,872 Member
    Options
    Take a look at this thread, which links to a spreadsheet listing many, many foods by protein efficiency - most protein for fewest calories. Lots of meaty fishy things near the top of the list, but more veggie things as you scroll down. Find things you like on the list, eat more of them in place of things that don't help you meet your goals as well.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also
  • mainnie
    mainnie Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Help