Is it better to work out alone or in a group?

Options

Replies

• slbf42
    slbf42 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I always workout and especially lift alone. I've never been motivated by others yelling encouragement or pushing me to do that one extra rep. For me I work out for my own satisfaction and the notion of pleasing or impressing someone else doesn't even come into it. I'm also not especially motivated by the idea of competing with someone else so I'm unlikely to gain the benefit of group cardio.
  • Mandygring
    Mandygring Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I feel more motivated with all my friends around. I love my dance classes.
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I think it's personal preference. I've taken a few and I just really don't like group classes. I don't even like going to the gym; I'm much more productive with my home workouts where I'm by myself. But also, my workout time is my ME time so perhaps that's part of it.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    alannacarl wrote: »
    Way back in the 1800's, a psychologist named Norman Triplett did a little experiment with children. In this experiment, he had the children reel in fishing line as fast as they could. He found that the children reeled in more fishing line when they were in the presence of another child doing the same. He didn't tell the kids that they were competing against each other in order for this to happen. Triplett also found that cyclists seemed to ride faster in groups or pairs than when they raced alone. His theory was that just the presence of other people, whether in competition or not, ignites a competitive instinct and energy that motivates a person in sport (or exercise) that requires muscular effort. His theory and experiments were foundational in sport/social psychology.
    I know just from personal experience that I definitely perform better in group exercise than when alone. I've always been a competitive person but I don't need to be competing for the presence of others to motivate me. In my experience working out with others does the opposite of holding me back and that aligns with Triplett and his work. Since you like cycling, you might want to try a spin class. I know it isn't the same, but you can get that group and cycling (although stationary) experience at the same time.

Drafting. Having another cyclist in front of you is like not having to push through the air, it reduces the energy you need by about 30 % for the same speed, or lets you go faster for the same power. Having a cyclist behind you creates a high pressure zone behind you (they push the air in front of them) which is like having a tail wind.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    alannacarl wrote: »
    Way back in the 1800's, a psychologist named Norman Triplett did a little experiment with children. In this experiment, he had the children reel in fishing line as fast as they could. He found that the children reeled in more fishing line when they were in the presence of another child doing the same. He didn't tell the kids that they were competing against each other in order for this to happen. Triplett also found that cyclists seemed to ride faster in groups or pairs than when they raced alone. His theory was that just the presence of other people, whether in competition or not, ignites a competitive instinct and energy that motivates a person in sport (or exercise) that requires muscular effort. His theory and experiments were foundational in sport/social psychology.
    I know just from personal experience that I definitely perform better in group exercise than when alone. I've always been a competitive person but I don't need to be competing for the presence of others to motivate me. In my experience working out with others does the opposite of holding me back and that aligns with Triplett and his work. Since you like cycling, you might want to try a spin class. I know it isn't the same, but you can get that group and cycling (although stationary) experience at the same time.

Drafting. Having another cyclist in front of you is like not having to push through the air, it reduces the energy you need by about 30 % for the same speed, or lets you go faster for the same power. Having a cyclist behind you creates a high pressure zone behind you (they push the air in front of them) which is like having a tail wind.

I just started getting serious about cycling and experienced this for the first time this year. Amazing how much of an impact this has.

Also fascinating all the little things you learn from working out in a group. My knowledge of biking has grown exponentially from biking in a group.
  • alannacarl
    alannacarl Posts: 4 Member
    Options

Actually, he also found that cyclists were faster when using a pacing machine that simulated a competitive atmosphere, so drafting had nothing to do with it.
  • mnalsa83
    mnalsa83 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I prefer working out alone. I personally feel that if there's more than 1 other person that I am the gym with, there's too much lag time between sets and I start to lose motivation.
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I had an eye opening revelation on this subject recently (Fri.)
    By the way, I just started week 8 of working out.

I had thought I figured out a weekly plan involving weights, cardio, stretch, and rest. On paper the schedule looked great.
    So I started Fri. morning at the gym with my free weight workout in hand. I did 3 different exercises and I got so bored. (I was all by myself.) I actually gave up and said "hell with this!" I was in a rotten mood.

So I went to the rowing machine which I quite enjoy normally. I planned to do a half hour. At the 5 minute mark I started to think the same negative thoughts. At 15 minutes I jumped off, went home and had a nap.

So Saturday I went to Boot camp then yoga. On Sunday I went to Bodypump and on Monday I went to Zumba. I loved the classes and can't wait till next week's.

I learned that the group classes work so much better for me. It keeps me from giving up and it's nice to see others struggle with the same things I struggle with. And the instructors cheered me on and I have been meeting some nice people.

So I don't know if it's this crucial point in my fitness journey where I need to be with people. Or perhaps it's based on my personality. But me left on my own is a recipe for failure at this point.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I've played a lot of team sports and love the camaraderie/competitiveness of it all. But when it comes to working out (as opposed to competing in sports), I'd much rather do it alone as a general rule. You wouldn't catch me dead in a group class and even the thought of something like Crossfit gives me the heebie-jeebies.

Weight room? Leave me alone, I'm here to lift, not socialize. In fact, it's perfectly okay if you don't talk to me or even acknowledge my existence. This is probably the place where I'm happiest being 100% solitary and on my own.

Running? Maybe, but mostly I like to put my headphones in, zone out and enjoy my "me time".

Road cycling? More "me time" (I'm not a competitive cyclist). It's me against my cycle computer and I don't have to worry about drafting/pulling, keeping an eye on the bike inches in front of me, getting dropped, etc.

Mountain biking? Here's one I don't mind having friends along, because I'm out there for fun as well as exercise. It's fun to get into a little friendly racing and smack talking - it's kinda like racing motocross without the engine noise. And crashes aren't as much fun if you don't have somebody to laugh about them with.

Really, it comes down to the fact that we're all wired differently when it comes to this kind of stuff and there is no right or wrong answer. Whatever helps you enjoy your workouts and stick to them is the best answer for any individual.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I get through my routine more efficiently alone, but I am more likely to push myself if I workout with my boyfriend. I do not enjoy working out in large groups because I tend to slack a little in that setting.
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I always run on my own. Also do other workouts on my own. I suppose if someone wanted to get a softball team together, I would be interested.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    Dunno.... Does anyone in this group wear perfume?
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    I have tried working out with others. Can't do it in the gym. I go, do my thing, and leave. I tried walking with an older friend, that didn't work either. She wanted to walk at the crack of dawn and I am not a morning person, and it took longer than it would have if I had been alone.
  • jamespatten3576
    jamespatten3576 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I would think it would depend on your personality. This probably makes me a horrible person but I made the most progress many many many years ago working out with a friend I didn't really respect. I know that sounds weird "friend I didn't respect", but I was young and a probably a bit arrogant. Thing was in my mind if he could do something then I dam sure was going to, so my strength increased quite a bit.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on personality and preference. Personally, I don't play well with others, so I've always lifted, hiked, and ran alone. Hubby goes "with" me sometimes, but we don't necessarily stay together in the gym or on the trail.
  • Mandygring
    Mandygring Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I prefer a group bc the girls in my dance class motive me. :) Plus I feel more like I'm playing and less like working.
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Whichever one gets you to work out
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,862 Member
    Options
    It depends on the people. In cycling, group rides are easier because you can roll and draft. But then you might get some *kitten* who doesn't cooperate and even worse, drop some riders.
  • mightdomightnot
    mightdomightnot Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I'd love a gym buddy