Is it better to work out alone or in a group?

Options
1235»

Replies

• lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I like both. I enjoy group classes but have no problem doing an individual workout. But I rejoined my current gym after a few years at a gym with no group classes and which was very empty. I got tired of the solitude and wanted a more active/social gym. I think just seeing the others does motivate me.
  • ent3rsandman
    ent3rsandman Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I like it when someone goes with me to the gym every so often, but if they always tag along I find that it gets in the way of my "me" time.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    The other day one of my guy friends suggested I be his gym buddy. Lol, I just wanted to raise my hands in the air and back away slowly.
    It reminded me of this thread. My gym time is mine! Lol
  • DISCIPLINEEQUALSFREEDOM
    Options
    I do both. If I do group classes I rarely talk to anyone and just do my own. I also lift with a partner on strength days ONLY.
  • rlr5072
    rlr5072 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I like a little bit of both for variety's sake.

Weekdays are harder for me to stick to after a long day at work and I enjoy going to class and having an instructor just guide me through it - all I have to do is show up. When I feel like quitting, seeing other people going can help me to finish. We ordinarily do things in class that I would never like to do myself (HIIT, burpees, push ups, etc.) and getting through it as a group is definitely more bearable.

On weekends, I tend to work out solo since weekend classes start too early for my liking. I like being able to take my time and to lift heavier at my own pace. It's odd because I dread interacting with other people at the gym when I'm working out solo since I'm in my own headspace, but I really enjoy seeing my friends at class and catching up for a few minutes. Like others said as well, there's a lot more accountability with going to classes - your class friends want to see you and almost expect you to be there in a way. I find it hard to blow off a class - it's much easier for me to cancel on myself.

Hope you can figure out a way to work out in a group setting, OP. Giving it a try is worthwhile and could be a good change of pace/something different to look forward to.
  • Mandygring
    Mandygring Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I prefer a group setting. When I'm by myself I usually see someone I know in the gym and they come over and talk to me. I don't mind at all. I love it
  • gpokerlund
    gpokerlund Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    No right answer for this. Whats right for one is wrong for another. The important thing is that you workout, period. I however, enjoy both. When i do workout with friends im usually so focused on pushing them and correcting their form that my workouts suffer lol.
  • Jackibrazil
    Jackibrazil Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I like working out with one other person. I have the shame factor when I feel like giving up too quickly so I keep going.
  • bz2018
    bz2018 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I personally enjoy working out alone, my music, loud and focussed. I have a squat rack in my house so it has the supports which I like I can go to fail.
    No need for a hype man for me lol