Intermittent Fasting Question

Options
13»

Replies

• kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    'The Scientific Guide to Intermittent Fasting' by Michael VanDerschelden is a good book to answer all your questions
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    honie99 wrote: »
    malibu927 wrote: »
    It's just a tool to help you create a calorie deficit by limiting the amount of time you eat. If you succeed doing it, then it's good.

That's only partly correct. There does seem to be a fair bit of science that suggests the IF regime increases metabolism, lowers insulin levels, increases HGH and so on - all of which can assist in weight loss. If you're interested, there is plenty of reputable studies into this type of activity - when compared to some of the 'fad' type diets that have sprouted over the years.

If you’re going to provide the information, it’s courtesy to link to the studies as well. But IME, I lost exactly the same doing IF than not.

I assume most people can use Google to research topics of interest, but here's a good start: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/10-health-benefits-of-intermittent-fasting#section1

I'm not going to link to all 44 references to studies or articles that are on that page.

While we're on the subject of providing references, can you post anything reliable that says Intermittent Fasting is just a tool to help you create a calorie deficit by limiting the amount of time you eat? ;)

"You can Google it yourself" and "Well can you Prove the opposite" are the most unscientific, copout answers in dialogue history.

You're completely missing the point here. If you bothered to read back to my original post, I said that there seemed to be a fair bit of science suggesting there is actual benefits (because science) if people cared to look for it. I'm not banging a drum either way, and was making an observation based on what I'd read about IF. I really don't give a rats *kitten* if people Google it or don't, but if they did bother to invest a little time in some research about a topic (weight loss) that could potentially be life-saving or at least life-changing, then they might find that useful time spent.

And if you bothered to analyse any number of the rubbish posts on these forums, you would find plenty of people who are very vociferous in support of their chosen 'diet' - many of which don't have any scientific backing at all. Same goes for @mph323 and @mmapags . +1 and +2 to you guys ;)

My real objection was to the School-Ma'am attitude of @malibu927 who didn't like the fact that I didn't reference my post, academic style. This is social media, not university.

This is a website about the topic with possibly the most amount of BS surrounding it. Demanding facts and proof is exactly the right thing to do.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    It's just a tool to help you create a calorie deficit by limiting the amount of time you eat. If you succeed doing it, then it's good.

That's only partly correct. There does seem to be a fair bit of science that suggests the IF regime increases metabolism, lowers insulin levels, increases HGH and so on - all of which can assist in weight loss. If you're interested, there is plenty of reputable studies into this type of activity - when compared to some of the 'fad' type diets that have sprouted over the years.

If you’re going to provide the information, it’s courtesy to link to the studies as well. But IME, I lost exactly the same doing IF than not.

I assume most people can use Google to research topics of interest, but here's a good start: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/10-health-benefits-of-intermittent-fasting#section1

I'm not going to link to all 44 references to studies or articles that are on that page.

While we're on the subject of providing references, can you post anything reliable that says Intermittent Fasting is just a tool to help you create a calorie deficit by limiting the amount of time you eat? ;)

"You can Google it yourself" and "Well can you Prove the opposite" are the most unscientific, copout answers in dialogue history.

You're completely missing the point here. If you bothered to read back to my original post, I said that there seemed to be a fair bit of science suggesting there is actual benefits (because science) if people cared to look for it. I'm not banging a drum either way, and was making an observation based on what I'd read about IF. I really don't give a rats *kitten* if people Google it or don't, but if they did bother to invest a little time in some research about a topic (weight loss) that could potentially be life-saving or at least life-changing, then they might find that useful time spent.

And if you bothered to analyse any number of the rubbish posts on these forums, you would find plenty of people who are very vociferous in support of their chosen 'diet' - many of which don't have any scientific backing at all. Same goes for @mph323 and @mmapags . +1 and +2 to you guys ;)

My real objection was to the School-Ma'am attitude of @malibu927 who didn't like the fact that I didn't reference my post, academic style. This is social media, not university.

Her request was both reasonable and inoffensive in my view. I've read a lot of the literature on IF. I practice it. But I've never seen any proven weight loss advantage other than compliance.

You are fairly new but already you have observed that there is lots of, as you put it "rubbish' post on these forums. That is why proof sources are asked for from those making claims. To help sort out the good stuff from the nonsense. Why this should bother you is beyond me.

ETA: Took a look at the link you provided. The info there is pretty much all correlation and not causation as far as I could see(to be fair, didn't read all 44 studies). Correlation =/= causation. It was the fairly typical click-bait woo that you see in those types of articles. Belly fat? Prevents cancer? Prevents Alzheimers? Heart disease?

Wow! who knew. If IF was proven to do any of that, wouldn't every doctor on the planet be recommending it? And you wonder why proof sources were requested?
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I too practice IF and have read some of the supporting literature, but have found nothing that shows anything causative. I agree with mmapags that there's nothing in the literature to support a weight loss benefit outside of compliance.

IF is very en vogue right now and natural breakfast skippers like me are having a right chuckle to ourselves because we've been doing it for years. The unfortunate thing is that unscrupulous charlatans are making all sorts of outrageous claims about a very natural thing that happens for some people: when they eat in the morning, it turns on their appetite switch for the day and they're hungrier throughout the day. When they skip breakfast, this doesn't happen and they have much better control of their appetites.

I've observed this with my children, who I let eat to their natural hunger cues. My daughter is a natural breakfast eater. My son is not. Since I've homeschool them, this isn't an issue.

My husband can eat breakfast and go hours and hours between meals. I cannot. I, however, am just fine waking every day at 4:30, having tea, and then not eating anything until around 2:00 every afternoon.

It's a shame that people are trying to monetize a simple fact about human appetite regulation by dressing it up with a bunch of outlandish claims.