How do you deal with PMS hunger?

Options
I finally put two and two together and realized that the bouts of intense hunger I'm experiencing every few weeks must be PMS related, even though I take oral contraceptives that are supposed to reduce PMS symptoms and these periods of intense hunger don't seem to correspond 100% with my "cycle". It was hard to pin point because I noticed that hunger comes in waves throughout every month and some days I feel hungrier than other days and then there are many different factors that affect my hunger levels.

However, about once a month I get RAVENOUS for about a week. If it was just a craving for something in particular, or a slight increase in appetite, I'd just have a little what I was craving or increase my intake a little - or even eat at maintenance for a few days. But the hunger is so overwhelming that it takes all my will power to not eat OVER my TDEE by several hundreds of calories and gain. And that's if I'm active that day and have a high TDEE. I often realize I need to go for a long run in the evening to just burn off all the calories I ate that day over my TDEE , WHILE still feeling hungry. And pretty much all I can think about all day is food. I become hyper aware of food and people around me eating and I can barely concentrate on anything else. Even after big meals I have this deep seated hunger feeling lingering. It actually feels like this primal drive to eat (doesn't matter what kind of food really).

According to my activity tracker, I eat with a very small deficit (100-250 cals) most days and very rarely 300-400. So it's super frustrating because I have to use all my will power not to ruin all my progress during that horrendous week each month.

Isn't there ANYTHING that can reduce these bouts of hunger slightly? I suspect that the answer is probably "No, just power through it" but one can hope. Maybe you can at least share some psychological "tricks" that help you??

Replies

• alexahollis
    alexahollis Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I could have written this post! Pre-menstrual week welcomes uninhibited eating, too much and poor quality is what I crave.
    Just worked this out at 35.
    I made a vow that next time I won’t repeat the pattern. It’d be stupid too right now I see it?! Not clear yet on my strategy though...
  • maggibailey
    maggibailey Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Try lots of things till you find something that works. Do you take a multi vitamin? Maybe your body needs more of something at that time? Maybe up your protein that couple of days. Obviously distract yourself but that only works while you are doing something not after. The good news is almost every woman on this site knows what you are feeling to some extent, you are neither crazy nor alone :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Honestly... It started 2 years ago for me (at 36. I am lucky I guess) and I've yet to figure out a way. I've tried supplements, teas, the only thing that worked once is going low carb but it didn't work the next... Typically pure carb things are the only thing that seem to satisfy me (like a cup of cheerios, an English muffin, bread etc). I could eat one pound of meat and a bag of veggies and I'd still feel 'empty'.

Also... the hunger is easier to ignore in the morning so I try to make my first meal as late as possible. But yeah typically I go over that week, I just try to eat less the week after my period when I'm not very hungry.
  • JadeQuetzal
    JadeQuetzal Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Walk to kitchen > open fridge > remind yourself that you're on a diet > walk away >repeat

Do this until your walking back and forth has earned you enough calories for your PMS craving.

Seriously though, I do that... until my husband reminds me that I can earn calories back, and I go on a walk or hike to make up for it. The "nothing satisfies this hunger" feeling is more irritating though. I try to drink more water (low cal drink mixes help fill me up a little better for some reason -i'm sure it's mental), and try to distract myself.
  • oat_bran
    oat_bran Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I could have written this post! Pre-menstrual week welcomes uninhibited eating, too much and poor quality is what I crave.
    Just worked this out at 35.
    I made a vow that next time I won’t repeat the pattern. It’d be stupid too right now I see it?! Not clear yet on my strategy though...
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Honestly... It started 2 years ago for me (at 36. I am lucky I guess) and I've yet to figure out a way. I've tried supplements, teas, the only thing that worked once is going low carb but it didn't work the next... Typically pure carb things are the only thing that seem to satisfy me (like a cup of cheerios, an English muffin, bread etc). I could eat one pound of meat and a bag of veggies and I'd still feel 'empty'.

Also... the hunger is easier to ignore in the morning so I try to make my first meal as late as possible. But yeah typically I go over that week, I just try to eat less the week after my period when I'm not very hungry.

I'm 29 and I'm surprised I haven't realized it was hormonal earlier. But then I'm not entirely sure it has always been like this before. Or at least that it was always this bad. I'm pretty sure I can remember the first time it started, it was just a little over a year ago. Suddenly I felt UNSATIABLE and I couldn't figure out what happened. I ate and still felt empty no matter what. For a long time I thought there was something wrong with my thyroid or that my leptin/grelin levels were messed up.

For me all food is appealing when I'm like this, but especially any calorie-dense and/or sweet food : bread and grains in other forms, nuts, protein bars, cheese, even fruit because of its sweetness. Sometimes when I start eating those thing, I just feel like I cannot stop, the drive to keep eating is overwhelming at times.
  • oat_bran
    Options
    Try lots of things till you find something that works. Do you take a multi vitamin? Maybe your body needs more of something at that time? Maybe up your protein that couple of days. Obviously distract yourself but that only works while you are doing something not after. The good news is almost every woman on this site knows what you are feeling to some extent, you are neither crazy nor alone :)
    Walk to kitchen > open fridge > remind yourself that you're on a diet > walk away >repeat

Do this until your walking back and forth has earned you enough calories for your PMS craving.

Seriously though, I do that... until my husband reminds me that I can earn calories back, and I go on a walk or hike to make up for it. The "nothing satisfies this hunger" feeling is more irritating though. I try to drink more water (low cal drink mixes help fill me up a little better for some reason -i'm sure it's mental), and try to distract myself.

Yes, hearing that I'm not the only one like this makes it somewhat easier already! At the moment, I just try to postpone my first meal like someone above said, and eat a small snack every 2-3 hours. If I have a long exercise session that day I usually manage not to eat over my TDEE. Though ironically, exercise is so much harder on those days as I feel weak, sluggish and bloated.

And yeah, I spend an entire day distracting myself, but my thoughts return to food constantly. I can barely get anything done or focus on my work or thesis. It's very frustrating.
  • swebb1103
    swebb1103 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I will be honest - I just eat. I also try to stay more active. I have the insatiable hunger plus the cravings. I still track and it makes me cringe, sometimes, how much and what I am eating, but I put in more time at the gym and usually manage to have a calorie deficit.
    I have noticed that when I do have willpower and stay on track, I am much more tired than normal. When I just keep eating, I feel normal.
    Last night I ate 3 potatoes fried in olive oil for dinner because it was all I could think of, I had such intense cravings. I am not proud and I was over calories, but this morning I feel great, and my cravings are gone.
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I just try to go for damage limitation. I have PMDD which is miserable so I just eat, but try to not go completely crazy. It's taken some practice but I've gotten loads better.
  • madwells1
    madwells1 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    If I pinpoint this as a true PMS trigger--which for me has me wanting a greasy piece of fried chicken or a bag of potato chips (both of which I absolutely detest on a normal day) I tell myself it is okay.

Note, I usually know this is happening as soon as I wake up in the morning. I want to eat everything and start getting moody (wonderful, right?). I tend to know when this will happen though as I have pretty bad PMDD so I track my cycles. I make sure that during this time, I religiously go to the gym and walk/run at least 4 miles, or take my dog for a 4 mile walk.

Keeping exercise integrated helps me as when I get home, I feel like I have accomplished something, so whatever I make for dinner (or buy if I am lazy), I tend to eat less of and feel satisfied. Granted, last month I polished off an entire bag (don't judge) of kettle potato chips. I did manage to buy the 40% reduced fat ones though.

Figuring that the entire bag had 1040 calories, I still came in under calories including all my walking and workday. Not the healthiest dinner, but that day it was important I ate these for some reason.

• timtam163
    timtam163 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Oh dude this is so me. Even on BC.

I try a few things: I up my cardio like you, but also try to stay hydrated, get plenty of sleep, and. prioritize fiber. I keep foods I crave such as dark chocolate around in small quantities, but also have high-volume low-calorie substitutes for those cravings: i.e. I put cocoa powder in my cereal milk with fruit on top for sweetness, or something of that nature. I also go for walks to keep moving and keep my mind off food... sometimes it works.

If your oral contraceptive is new to you, this might go away over time; if it doesn't, and if this interferes with your life, you might be able to switch types and find one with fewer side effects.
  • mabearof6
    mabearof6 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I eat at maintenance for 2 or 3 days. Some months I try to be a little more active so I can allow even more calories, and some months I go overboard. I just don't sweat it.
  • DanniB423
    DanniB423 Posts: 777 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I am so happy to read this post. I am on birth control pills but this still happens to me. The week before is horrible. My stomach is a bottomless pit and I feel ravenous.
    Edit to add: I always want a divorce on that week too.... :wink:
  • oat_bran
    Options
    swebb1103 wrote: »
    I will be honest - I just eat. I also try to stay more active. I have the insatiable hunger plus the cravings. I still track and it makes me cringe, sometimes, how much and what I am eating, but I put in more time at the gym and usually manage to have a calorie deficit.
    I have noticed that when I do have willpower and stay on track, I am much more tired than normal. When I just keep eating, I feel normal.
    Last night I ate 3 potatoes fried in olive oil for dinner because it was all I could think of, I had such intense cravings. I am not proud and I was over calories, but this morning I feel great, and my cravings are gone.
    madwells1 wrote: »
    If I pinpoint this as a true PMS trigger--which for me has me wanting a greasy piece of fried chicken or a bag of potato chips (both of which I absolutely detest on a normal day) I tell myself it is okay.

Note, I usually know this is happening as soon as I wake up in the morning. I want to eat everything and start getting moody (wonderful, right?). I tend to know when this will happen though as I have pretty bad PMDD so I track my cycles. I make sure that during this time, I religiously go to the gym and walk/run at least 4 miles, or take my dog for a 4 mile walk.

Keeping exercise integrated helps me as when I get home, I feel like I have accomplished something, so whatever I make for dinner (or buy if I am lazy), I tend to eat less of and feel satisfied. Granted, last month I polished off an entire bag (don't judge) of kettle potato chips. I did manage to buy the 40% reduced fat ones though.

Figuring that the entire bag had 1040 calories, I still came in under calories including all my walking and workday. Not the healthiest dinner, but that day it was important I ate these for some reason.

That's what I'm trying too do. Exercising as much as possible to have those extra calories and stay under my TDEE and not gain at least. I can't really have more than a 100 calorie deficit on those days or I get so hungry I can't sleep at night.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I am so thankful I have never experienced PMS!!!
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I just eat at maintenance.
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    DanniB423 wrote: »
    I am so happy to read this post. I am on birth control pills but this still happens to me. The week before is horrible. My stomach is a bottomless pit and I feel ravenous.
    Edit to add: I always want a divorce on that week too.... :wink:
    Hr probably does too that week. ;)
  • lady_bug_jd
    lady_bug_jd Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I read recently that magnesium can help with PMS symptoms including food cravings.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I read recently that magnesium can help with PMS symptoms including food cravings.

That never worked for me.
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I find eating spicy foods that are just on the edge of my tolerance often works for cramps and for hunger. It also causes me to drink more water, which is always good when the appetite is out of control. Think thai, mexican, spaghetti sauce heavy on the crushed red pepper, that kind of thing.