Is it true that eating late at night is bad for weight loss?

Options
I've started eating dinner at like 10 pm cause ya girl is busy. so I'm just wondering if this is bad for someone who wants to lose weight. Whoops lol. I've always heard eating later than 6 is bad

Replies

• Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    It is not true.
  • maitham09
    maitham09 Posts: 26 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I asked the same question two days ago. Most of the comments said that it doesn't matter if you eat late at night as soon as you are at the end of the day on your calories deficit.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    I've started eating dinner at like 10 pm cause ya girl is busy. so I'm just wondering if this is bad for someone who wants to lose weight. Whoops lol. I've always heard eating later than 6 is bad

I don't see why it should make a difference what time you consume your calories. A calorie deficit is what you need for weight loss, so just count what you eat. Even if it did matter, 6:00pm would be ridiculously early. I've heard 9:00pm but I don't adhere to that either.
  • sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    The old "don't eat after 6pm-7pm" came about because most people who were doing this ALREADY met their calorie goal at that time.................................but kept eating creating a SURPLUS.
    As long as you're in deficit, it doesn't matter when you eat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I think this came about because in a lot of places the main meal was at lunch, so to eat heavily again later was a bad plan.
    As per my previous, the Mediterranean way of eating is to do so late on. That seems to coincide with when it is cooler. I noticed in North Africa and India food is only lightly taken during the heat of the day, and main food is taken on at night also.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    In lots of Mediterranean countries its normal to eat the main meal late. And obesity isn't the same problem in a lot of them as it is in the UK and USA. It's what you eat, not when you eat.

Its how much you eat, Not what. IF you really wanna take that step lol
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    People who don't eat after 6 have ridiculously too much free time on their hands. I'm bitter and not even home from work at 6.

The only day I eat dinner before 6 is Saturday because I have to then nap before going to bed at midnight. Otherwise I eat it between 7 and 10.