Is it true that eating late at night is bad for weight loss?

Options

Replies

• Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,221 Member
    Options
    TicaKali wrote: »
    Calorie is calorie....The problem is that if you eat late you are not supposed to do exercise (unless you work during the night) so you are not gonna burn that calories like happens with your other meals during the day!

Umm... what? Citation? Pretty certain that's not true.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Calorie is calorie....The problem is that if you eat late you are not supposed to do exercise (unless you work during the night) so you are not gonna burn that calories like happens with your other meals during the day!

You can exercise whenever you want as well, but that's neither here nor there. Food timing makes no difference for weight loss.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    No if doesn't matter, meal timing is irrelevant.
  • misnomer1
    misnomer1 Posts: 646 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options

And what fuels the body the next morning when you eat less because you ate at night?
    Does the body have permanent fat storage systems for any food consumed between 9pm to 6am?

The assumption here on mfp is that OP counts calories and sticks to goal regardless of timing.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    sgtx81 wrote: »
    So long as you burn those calories so it doesn't lead to a calorie surplus it probably won't. It's possible it could have some kind of effect though. From what I understand your body does most of its regeneration while you sleep, but digesting food also takes up a lot of your body's resources. Wherever the overlap in those resources lies it would seem like something might have to do without. The body is pretty adaptive though. I guess what I'm trying to say here... the short version of it... damned if I know.

The body uses what it needs, when it needs it, always.
  • sgtx81
    sgtx81 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    sure why not
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    In lots of Mediterranean countries its normal to eat the main meal late. And obesity isn't the same problem in a lot of them as it is in the UK and USA. It's what you eat, not when you eat.

This. Growing up in the Mediterranean area, dinner was at 8-9pm. I was shocked when I moved to the US and most people have dinner at like 6pm.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    your body has so many calories in it...fat and muscle etc...You add in calories from food...Your body then had its calories +food calories...You then go and burn calories exercising....= -calories. Your body being alive =-more calories and you end with either + or - calories than when you started your day. simple.

Simple math. At no point in the most basic simple mathemetical equation does eating late at night stop exercise from burning calories and if your body stopped burning calories being alive...well your dead...

Takeaway...You burn calories constantly...The when and where is non important, How does it take a PHD to know basic math...? What about people on the other side of the planet, If all our bodies run on YOUR time schedule?
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    So long as you burn those calories so it doesn't lead to a calorie surplus it probably won't. It's possible it could have some kind of effect though. From what I understand your body does most of its regeneration while you sleep, but digesting food also takes up a lot of your body's resources. Wherever the overlap in those resources lies it would seem like something might have to do without. The body is pretty adaptive though. I guess what I'm trying to say here... the short version of it... damned if I know.

@sgtx81 you do realize that even if you don't eat at night your body is still digesting food. The whole digestive process takes a very long time much longer than people expect. It seems the general population lacks basic knowledge on how the body works.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    If my doctor told me I have a disease because the bloodwork shows it I'd believe him.
    If the same doctor tried to tell me what's wrong with my car just from seeing me pull up into the parking lot, I wouldn't.

Someone can be very smart in one particular thing but know only pop-science from magazines in other things.
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    witcherkar wrote: »
    My weight loss doctor has me on a diet of having a protein shake for breakfast and dinner and a meal for lunch. He told me to have it for lunch and not dinner because you move around more during the day and are more likely to burn off some of the calories than later at night. Makes sense to me.

@witcherkar

I do hope you aren't paying good money for such poor advice?
    It actually makes no sense at all. Why does it matter if you burn off calories you just ate, or ate yesterday, or weeks ago?

Please do think ahead to when you get to goal weight, building sustainable habits during your weight loss phase really does help the transition. Having two protein shakes instead of meals (they aren't designed as meal replacements anyway...) isn't, I assume, how you intend to eat for life?

Never trust anything a doctor says about nutrition unless they are specialized. They know less than most of the posters on here. We get 1 week of nutrition in medical school and basically all it says is "2000 diet, limit carbs, fat" which is wrong lol. I can't believe yours is specialized and still has no clue. There are too many doctors who aren't up to date with the literature and just say many myths that have perpetuated throughout society over the years because thats what they were once told years ago. We now know all of that isn't true.

You are completely neglecting those who do have an interest on their own, but have no interest in pursuing residency and specialization in. Who, instead, pursue advanced education and training through CME and labs after graduation to gain what the lecturers during the didactic portion of ones training failed to adequately provide. I've known more than one FP/GP who had a personal interest in nutrition to better help his/her clinically obese patients and so pursued the necessary knowledge on their own time and dime.

To say to never trust all doctors unless specialized is utter rabbit turds. Especially considering you just threw one of these alleged esteemed 'only-ones-to-be-trusted' specialized doctors you know nothing about, or the details of the actual patient exchange that occurred, under the bus. Can't recommend highly enough you give consideration to paging through 'The Death of Expertise' before doling out such advice online. :/
  • WhereIsPJSoles
    WhereIsPJSoles Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I mean a lot of people are coming to defense of a doctor that claims that you shouldn’t eat late because it’s harder to burn those calories. If there’s scientific backing to that claim I’m sure we’re all willing to read it and change our minds. Most of us are trying to lose weight here so we don’t really care who says it, if it’s true we just wanna see the proof?
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

@sgtx81 you do realize that even if you don't eat at night your body is still digesting food. The whole digestive process takes a very long time much longer than people expect. It seems the general population lacks basic knowledge on how the body works.

Something like 8 hours just for the way through stomach and small intestine.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    witcherkar wrote: »
    My weight loss doctor has me on a diet of having a protein shake for breakfast and dinner and a meal for lunch. He told me to have it for lunch and not dinner because you move around more during the day and are more likely to burn off some of the calories than later at night. Makes sense to me.

@witcherkar

I do hope you aren't paying good money for such poor advice?
    It actually makes no sense at all. Why does it matter if you burn off calories you just ate, or ate yesterday, or weeks ago?

Please do think ahead to when you get to goal weight, building sustainable habits during your weight loss phase really does help the transition. Having two protein shakes instead of meals (they aren't designed as meal replacements anyway...) isn't, I assume, how you intend to eat for life?

Never trust anything a doctor says about nutrition unless they are specialized. They know less than most of the posters on here. We get 1 week of nutrition in medical school and basically all it says is "2000 diet, limit carbs, fat" which is wrong lol. I can't believe yours is specialized and still has no clue. There are too many doctors who aren't up to date with the literature and just say many myths that have perpetuated throughout society over the years because thats what they were once told years ago. We now know all of that isn't true.

You are completely neglecting those who do have an interest on their own, but have no interest in pursuing residency and specialization in. Who, instead, pursue advanced education and training through CME and labs after graduation to gain what the lecturers during the didactic portion of ones training failed to adequately provide. I've known more than one FP/GP who had a personal interest in nutrition to better help his/her clinically obese patients and so pursued the necessary knowledge on their own time and dime.

To say to never trust all doctors unless specialized is utter rabbit turds. Especially considering you just threw one of these alleged esteemed 'only-ones-to-be-trusted' specialized doctors you know nothing about, or the details of the actual patient exchange that occurred, under the bus. Can't recommend highly enough you give consideration to paging through 'The Death of Expertise' before doling out such advice online. :/

I still would not trust a doctor unless they are specialized or have an interest and have pursued more education. How do you know where they got their information was legitimate? You don't. How do you know they are knowledgeable when medical schools do not teach more than a few weeks of nutrition? I stand by what I said especially given the fact that I recently graduated medical school and see what they teach us first hand. I would not trust someone specialized unless I knew where they got their information and it was credible.

It is still true that MOST doctors do not have a clue. If I knew my doctor DID have training in it, which you can easily see( via their experiences/education with a quick online search), then that is a completely different story. I am talking about those who do NOT have specific training which doesn't include the scenario you mentioned. Even then, they may be giving false information just based upon previous cases and known diets that "work" because it's easier to tell a patient to drink a shake 3x a day knowing they will be ingesting less calories than teach them how to weight and measure every bite and how to count calories. So you have to be aware of that.

That is awesome you know a few GP/FP like that though. I think all should have more training in weight loss given what an issue it is in our country. Through my rotations, internships and shadowing, I've seen maybe one have an actual clue and give his patient more advice than the usual "don't eat at night, low carb, etc etc".

• LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    So, I will chime in.....

The answer to your question, OP, is that it *should* not matter. Calories in vs Calories out is ESSENTIALLY all that matters for weight loss. For most of us, anyway! Let's just assume - for a moment - that there are no medical conditions involved and that we are all "normal" human beings (read: with "normal" being defined as "non professional athletes or athletes that compete at very high levels").

Some people can eat four slices of pizza and drink three beers and go to bed and fall asleep in 30 seconds while others would do the same and never fall asleep. Most of us would likely fall somewhere in the middle - we would fall asleep (but maybe not sleep so well).

Point is, the 'timing' of calories in does not really matter when we are talking 'weight loss'. Calories at 2PM are the same as Calories at 2AM. And consider people who work from 3PM to 12AM. They get home and eat at 2AM, right? :smiley:

There is a lot of funny thought out there.

I used to not be able to eat past 6PM (25 years ago) because it really bothered my sleep. And I was SUPER active and athletic back then (still am, for the most part). That was just how my body responded. And, it did not matter if it was a pop tart or a full-course steak and potato meal with all the fixings. If I ate past 6PM then I was almost for sure not going to sleep for <kitten> that night.

Key is - find what works for you and do that!