Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

UK To Ban Surgery For Smokers and The Obese To Reduce Health Care Costs

Options
saintor1
saintor1 Posts: 376 Member
edited November 2017 in Debate Club
Surgery Ban For Patients Who Smoke And Are Obese
Hospital leaders in North Yorkshire, England, announced that procedures such as hip and knee surgeries will be denied to certain individuals until they improve their health.

I have no problem that negligent people pay more.

EDIT: added source
http://www.techtimes.com/articles/215066/20171101/uk-to-ban-surgery-for-smokers-and-the-obese-to-reduce-health-care-costs.htm

Replies

• svetskisampion
    svetskisampion Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    saintor1 wrote: »
    Surgery Ban For Patients Who Smoke And Are Obese
    Hospital leaders in North Yorkshire, England, announced that procedures such as hip and knee surgeries will be denied to certain individuals until they improve their health.

I have no problem that negligent people pay more.

Is this just for one region i.e. North Yorkshire or a nationwide rollout?
  • Rincewind_1965
    Rincewind_1965 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Source?
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    So if im a smoker, and have knee problems, they'll deny me surgery?

What if someone who has never worked, is lazy, but not a smoker nor obese needs surgery? Theyll get it... what about someone who has worked all their life, is a smoke or obese, paid taxes for 30+ years, they wont get surgery?

Unless a doctor determines it is more detrimental to your health to wait longer. Full story is here: https://www.laboratoryequipment.com/news/2017/11/uk-region-imposes-surgery-ban-smokers-obese-patients
  • Rosemary7391
    Rosemary7391 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Yeah it's not a total ban and appears to only be in one area. There are just minimum requirements related to weight and smoking cessation. In the case of hip and knee replacements the outcomes are better for those with a lower weight so it makes sense to try and improve that by reducing body weight. They have 9 months to do so. Smoking has to be stopped for 8 weeks.

So it's a pretty narrow range and not necessarily a bad thing.

Yes, it looks more like trying to get the optimum outcome for the patient rather than pure cost cutting. If it was for any surgery then that'd be different, but I guess hip and knee surgery is particularly badly affected by weight. Not sure how smoking fits into it, but as switching to vaping is an option then that doesn't seem a huge hurdle - the waiting list is likely to be longer than the time you'd have to switch for so probably very little delay!
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    As an admittedly right-leaning higher-rate-tax-paying Brit who has had significant but non-urgent surgery on the NHS, I'm on board with this.

Off to look up what my CCG is doing!

The NHS is in dire financial straits, so significant measures do need to be taken to optimise what they do.
    Post-surgical complications take time and money to deal with, so if these can be minimised, particularly for non-urgent surgery, then that's a step in the right direction.

I also think we've got too used to being able to run to the NHS for every little ill that people have forgotten how to manage a lot of things for themselves.
    Often, the A&E waits are horrendous because people go to hospital because they have a cold (or something similarly insignificant - clearly an overdramatized example), when they should either deal with it at home or maybe go and see a pharmacist instead to get some advice. I don't know how we do it, but more education about what medical thing needs what level of attention/intervention would be really beneficial.
    Also healthy lifestyle choices that reduce many of the (arguably) self-inflicted issues.

Addendum: Oh, my CCG has invented scratch cards. Sigh. http://www.oxfordshireccg.nhs.uk/news/scratch-cards-signpost-people-to-the-right-health-services/54610
    But at least that might address the point about going to A&E for a cold!
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Yeah it's not a total ban and appears to only be in one area. There are just minimum requirements related to weight and smoking cessation. In the case of hip and knee replacements the outcomes are better for those with a lower weight so it makes sense to try and improve that by reducing body weight. They have 9 months to do so. Smoking has to be stopped for 8 weeks.

So it's a pretty narrow range and not necessarily a bad thing.

Yes, it looks more like trying to get the optimum outcome for the patient rather than pure cost cutting. If it was for any surgery then that'd be different, but I guess hip and knee surgery is particularly badly affected by weight. Not sure how smoking fits into it, but as switching to vaping is an option then that doesn't seem a huge hurdle - the waiting list is likely to be longer than the time you'd have to switch for so probably very little delay!

Smoking I think is also a risk factor in less than ideal outcomes/post surgery complications.
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    cs2thecox wrote: »
    As an admittedly right-leaning higher-rate-tax-paying Brit who has had significant but non-urgent surgery on the NHS, I'm on board with this.

Off to look up what my CCG is doing!

The NHS is in dire financial straits, so significant measures do need to be taken to optimise what they do.
    Post-surgical complications take time and money to deal with, so if these can be minimised, particularly for non-urgent surgery, then that's a step in the right direction.

I also think we've got too used to being able to run to the NHS for every little ill that people have forgotten how to manage a lot of things for themselves.
    Often, the A&E waits are horrendous because people go to hospital because they have a cold (or something similarly insignificant - clearly an overdramatized example), when they should either deal with it at home or maybe go and see a pharmacist instead to get some advice. I don't know how we do it, but more education about what medical thing needs what level of attention/intervention would be really beneficial.
    Also healthy lifestyle choices that reduce many of the (arguably) self-inflicted issues.

Addendum: Oh, my CCG has invented scratch cards. Sigh. http://www.oxfordshireccg.nhs.uk/news/scratch-cards-signpost-people-to-the-right-health-services/54610
    But at least that might address the point about going to A&E for a cold!

We are politically different but I do agree that the overuse of hospital services in particular, is a problem that seems to be escalating. Same with calling ambulances for totally inappropriate reasons. I don't know of an obviously effective way to tackle it, there are already posters up in my GP surgery and in the pharmacies. But then it's not my job to come up with solutions so I guess I'm off the hook there.
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    To further my point, I actually walked myself to my local A&E at the time because of dreadful chest infection that as an asthmatic could kill me. They have both a walk-in centre and A&E. I actually went to the walk in first who promptly told me to bugger off to A&E because I should be seen more urgently (turns out they thought it was pneumonia, thankfully wasn't quite that bad!).

I think that model would be a great way to triage people whichever place they walk into first, send them where they should actually be.
  • Rosemary7391
    Rosemary7391 Posts: 232 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    To further my point, I actually walked myself to my local A&E at the time because of dreadful chest infection that as an asthmatic could kill me. They have both a walk-in centre and A&E. I actually went to the walk in first who promptly told me to bugger off to A&E because I should be seen more urgently (turns out they thought it was pneumonia, thankfully wasn't quite that bad!).

I think that model would be a great way to triage people whichever place they walk into first, send them where they should actually be.

Yes, that would make a lot of sense for those turning up at the wrong place. Even if they don't get the message and keep turning up at A&E for colds that would minimise the time wasted (assuming they didn't kick up a fuss about it, which is an assumption...). I think it would be most effective to decide this sort of policy at a local level - different areas will have different problems.

Usually if you look up your symptoms on the NHS website it'll suggest where to go and when. That's helpful too. Posters in GPs and pharmacies less so because if they've gone there they're already doing something appropriate... I think we need to do more to encourage healthy living outside of direct engagement with the health services.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Who could have expected this? How could we have known?
  • svetskisampion
    svetskisampion Posts: 148 Member
    Options

Yes, that would make a lot of sense for those turning up at the wrong place. Even if they don't get the message and keep turning up at A&E for colds that would minimise the time wasted (assuming they didn't kick up a fuss about it, which is an assumption...). I think it would be most effective to decide this sort of policy at a local level - different areas will have different problems.

Usually if you look up your symptoms on the NHS website it'll suggest where to go and when. That's helpful too. Posters in GPs and pharmacies less so because if they've gone there they're already doing something appropriate... I think we need to do more to encourage healthy living outside of direct engagement with the health services.

Wasn't the 111 telephone service introduced as such a measure?
  • MelkaBielka
    MelkaBielka Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I agree with this completely, and wish more countries would roll this out. It's known that obesity and smoking are related to poor outcomes for surgery recovery. I think it's perfectly acceptable to have people be a part of their recovery and life choices are a part of that. Moreover, we all make choices that affect us, but when it affects others (higher taxes, longer wait times) people should be held accountable for their choices. Every choice has a consequence. We all as adults know this.
  • jesspen91
    jesspen91 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options

That's if you have a local walk in centre though. I live in London so 9/10 I would always chose walk in over A&E (including the time I had to hop there when I had glass embedded in my foot) but many people in other areas are not so fortunate.
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    JT232323 wrote: »
    Isn't that discrimination! What about alcoholics? What about drug addiction? That will improve overall health, shouldn't they be restricted too? Oh wait a minute, I forgot, providing help to these individuals will cost the system more money, so we can't do that!

Again, they are not being refused treatment. And they will be offered resources to help with changing their lifestyles to improve the outcomes of their surgery.

I am all for those with addictions being treated for those addictions. And often health conditions they suffer are directly linked to their addiction so ideally there would be an overall holistic approach. But these things require funding and at the moment, additional funding is not forthcoming. But I am not familiar with the protocol of surgeries such as hip replacements and addicts. I rather suspect it would be too dangerous to operate on someone with an active addiction.
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    jesspen91 wrote: »

That's if you have a local walk in centre though. I live in London so 9/10 I would always chose walk in over A&E (including the time I had to hop there when I had glass embedded in my foot) but many people in other areas are not so fortunate.

That's my point. I was saying the presence of both on the same site is a great idea, not that they should be sent off across a city/town to a walk in. I am also in London, the hospital I went to was St. George's.