tips for beginners that no one told you.

Options

Replies

• walktalkdog
    walktalkdog Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    If you can't take eating a deficit any more, mentally that is - move up to maintenance for a week or however long and just concentrate on fitness. Dieting for months on end can be exhausting and instead of giving up it's okay to take a break from eating to lose as long as you keep logging and keep your work up at the gym. This is a marathon, not a sprint.

Great tip!
  • walktalkdog
    walktalkdog Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    CJ_Holmes wrote: »
    Learn good form, whatever activity you do. Get some coaching, whether it's running, lifting, swimming... the cost of a few coaching sessions may prevent a lot higher coast in pain, surgery, rehab, etc. plus you'll enjoy just about anything more if you do it well.

Also, sleep is way underrated and so needed!

This! Yes!
  • anyWendy
    anyWendy Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Slow, clip out, stop. Not slow, stop, fall.

I'm clearly enough of a beginner to not understand this. Can someone please explain? Thanks! :smiley:
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    You actually don't have to do intense workouts to lose weight.
  • Thehardmakesitworthit
    Options
    Knowledge is power and discipline is freedom and plenty of self love .....all of these things will get you where you put your mind and your heart....all the best!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    anyWendy wrote: »
    Slow, clip out, stop. Not slow, stop, fall.

I'm clearly enough of a beginner to not understand this. Can someone please explain? Thanks! :smiley:

I think it's a reference to foot clips on bikes.
  • GreatDay4Hockey
    GreatDay4Hockey Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You don't have to go for the high-intensity exercises right out of the gate. I did...and ended up injuring my foot early on into my weight loss. I'm happiest now doing challenging but low-impact exercises, and will add more intensity as my weight drops further and my body can handle more.
  • bright_fit
    bright_fit Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    group exercise classes are a great way to get started and to learn how much harder you actually can be pushing yourself :) it's amazing what they can get me to do when left to my own devices I would have quit halfway through the set for sure!

It's also a fun way to get your exercise in, and a way to be around other positive healthy people. For me my first goaround losing weight was an isolating experience... doesn't have to be!!
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    A couple things I would have done differently if I knew back then what I know now:

-Don’t need to do cardio a zillion times a week.
    -Don’t neglect legs & rely solely on cardio to “work” my legs.
    -Diet is as important as what you do in the gym, meaning-track your calories AND macros religiously.