tips for beginners that no one told you.

Replies

• Westbury84
    Westbury84 Posts: 13 Member
    don't worry about getting off track and having some pizza and beer, etc. This is a long term effort. Just get back on the track when you have an occasional detour.
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    You DON'T have to go balls to the wall hard for every single workout. Just do your best. Sometimes your best tomorrow will be less than your best was today and that is okay! Don't get down on yourself and most importantly, don't quit!
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    I learned to not skip out on the exercises I don't like.
    There is so much truth to this. A lot of magazines say things like "Find an exercise that you like!" That's certainly useful advice when someone is a beginner and lacks motivation. For people who are motivated though, it's often important to do things that we DON'T like if we want to be well-rounded in terms of functional fitness and athletic ability.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Yeah running
    • You don't need to be flexible to do yoga. It is not about twisting yourself into a pretzel.
    • I once read an article that talked about how simple, healthy, and inexpensive running was. Just lace up your shoes and head out the door. Liars! Those shoes are expensive -- along with the running clothes, race entries, fancy running watches, etc....
    • You can't loose weight by training for a marathon. Seriously guys, I had no idea what hunger was until I started running long distances. OMG
    • Oh, one more thing. Don't try a Zumba class if you are uncoordinated. People (including yourself) could be seriously hurt. And your pride....ouch

Yeah running isn't a cheap sport. Good shoes aren't cheap. But then there's the gear and potentially the injuries from a high impact sport. And some races are stupidly expensive not including travel and lodging. There aren't a lot of poor people jogging for a reason.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    edited November 2017
    When you start a new physical activity - especially in a group setting - plan to feel awkward, clumsy, and utterly incapable, for at least the first few sessions.

It's OK. It's part of the process. Everyone was new once. Others are not paying as much attention to you as you think, anyway (they're focused on themselves).

Commit to multiple sessions of anything, right up front, no matter how it goes (as long as it isn't actually injuring you, of course).

Things that are easy at the start get boring in the long term. Things that are more difficult get fun when you start getting the hang of them, and stay fun much longer.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Push away the food, count the calories and get moving. Water all day every day.
  • kenyonhaff
    spartan_d wrote: »
    I learned to not skip out on the exercises I don't like.
    There is so much truth to this. A lot of magazines say things like "Find an exercise that you like!" That's certainly useful advice when someone is a beginner and lacks motivation. For people who are motivated though, it's often important to do things that we DON'T like if we want to be well-rounded in terms of functional fitness and athletic ability.

There's also the truth that maybe try something you don't think you're going to like. If you haven't done much physical activity period, you might really have no idea what you like.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    tracymegan wrote: »
    Eons ago, I was a heavy lifter, so have lottos thickness and muscle mass...even though I have padded the crap out of that mass. In seeing a trainer, I changed my routine from 10-12 reps of 3 sets to 20 reps of 4 sets..no breaks and stepped training! Cannot believe the changes!!! Huge in literally weeks! Have lost 5 inches on each thigh!

High or low weight? Are you increasing weight on each set?
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Work on running, even though you don't currently like it.

I wasted way too much time walking as a beginner. Fitness magazines completely oversold its health benefits. It was only years later that I realized how much I was wasting my time. I later learned that doctors and mags exaggerate its benefits because it's hard to get people to do anything more strenuous.

I don't know.. I lost 50 pounds just walking. I wouldn't say I got "fit" but for someone with a good amount to lose it is a great start.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    [*] I once read an article that talked about how simple, healthy, and inexpensive running was. Just lace up your shoes and head out the door. Liars! Those shoes are expensive -- along with the running clothes, race entries, fancy running watches, etc....

Shoes need not be expensive, and running kit is no more expensive than any other sports kit.

Fwiw as a runner I'm not spending any money on gym membership, so in that sense running is costing me less.
    [*] You can't loose weight by training for a marathon. Seriously guys, I had no idea what hunger was until I started running long distances. OMG

Oddly I've never had trouble, just a question of keeping on top of the calorie balance.
  • spartan_d
    smantha32 wrote: »

I wasted way too much time walking as a beginner. Fitness magazines completely oversold its health benefits. It was only years later that I realized how much I was wasting my time. I later learned that doctors and mags exaggerate its benefits because it's hard to get people to do anything more strenuous.

I don't know.. I lost 50 pounds just walking. I wouldn't say I got "fit" but for someone with a good amount to lose it is a great start.

Nobody's saying that it's impossible to lose weight by walking... just that its benefits have been greatly exaggerated. I started out walking as well, but I could have trimmed down a whole lot faster with more vigorous exercise.

Not to mention that walking, while it has its benefits (low impact, non-intimidating, etc) doesn't really do much for either strength or cardio endurance. There is some effect, but only at a very basic level.

• spartan_d
    edited November 2017

Nobody's saying that it's impossible to lose weight by walking... just that its benefits have been greatly exaggerated. I started out walking as well, but I could have trimmed down a whole lot faster with more vigorous exercise.

Not to mention that walking, while it has its benefits (low impact, non-intimidating, etc) doesn't really do much for either strength or cardio endurance. There is some effect, but only at a very basic level.

Yeah but when someone has a lot to lose, doing something more vigorous is next to impossible. Everyone has to start somewhere. :)
    If your knees and back hurt because you're carrying 100+ extra pounds, low impact is the best way to go. I would definitely add weights into the mix from the beginning, but a lot of people can't start off with hiit or running.
    Nobody's denying that. As I said, there are benefits, and I specifically mentioned the low-impact aspect. It's just one of the most basic, low-effort exercises available though, and is one of the least efficient as a result. It might be one of the better options available in certain extreme cases, but for most people, there are more efficient alternatives. (Heck, even for the majorly obese, I'd argue that a low-impact boot camp class will produce faster results and greater overall strength benefits.)
  • kenyonhaff

Yeah but when someone has a lot to lose, doing something more vigorous is next to impossible. Everyone has to start somewhere. :)
    If your knees and back hurt because you're carrying 100+ extra pounds, low impact is the best way to go. I would definitely add weights into the mix from the beginning, but a lot of people can't start off with hiit or running.
    Nobody's denying that. As I said, there are benefits, and I specifically mentioned the low-impact aspect. It's just one of the most basic, low-effort exercises available though, and is one of the least efficient as a result. It might be one of the better options available in certain extreme cases, but for most people, there are more efficient alternatives. (Heck, even for the majorly obese, I'd argue that a low-impact boot camp class will produce faster results and greater overall strength benefits.)

Let me add that low-impact is good for lighter people, too. Not everyone has great backs, knees, ankles, or feet. Also, not everyone at age 50 can jump around like a hyper spider monkey like they did at 25. And high impact workouts naturally carry a risk of injury. (Not that people shouldn't run or the like because of that risk, but it's a truth.)

Also, even though I can run and do some higher-impact exercises like Zumba, I really prefer low-impact. For one, I do a lot of workouts at home in an apartment and high impact workouts make a lot of thumping noises that may make me unpopular. Also I can get a great workout that isn't so hard on my 40+ year old body and still get fitness benefits. Sure I can run, but I can also walk the same distance just slower and get the same benefits.
  • Catho36
    Catho36 Posts: 107 Member
    I took up selling crack because running from the police is good motivation.[/quote]

I took up using crack because running from crack dealers is even better motivation.[/quote]

Rotfl great advice, keeping it real lol