Sugar Cravings

Options
Any tips on curving sugar cravings or maybe even some help dealing with withdrawal? I am trying to cut a lot of fake sugar out of my diet... And I've been addicted to it for as long as I can remember. I get real irritable if I don't have my chocolate when I crave it. Or sometimes even horrible migranes.

Replies

• counting_kilojoules
    Options
    Many people get sugar cravings just before a migraine hits so that might be your migraine problem.

As to reducing sugar, you've got to find what works for you. I prefer to have a small amount when I want it because denying myself too much makes me binge later. Sometimes, if it doesn't fit my calories for the day, I remind myself that it's not a forbidden food and I can have it anytime just not this precise moment. I've also been swapping lower calorie sweet things that I like for higher calorie sweet things that I'm more likely to over eat. I only keep the lower calorie ones in the house and if I really want the higher calorie ones (like chocolate) I can have them, but I have to go out to get them and I only buy a single serving. I've found my consumption of sweet things has gradually gone down over time.
  • ZedTop
    ZedTop Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Did you try fruit for sugar cravings? I eat apples or pears when I crave for sweets, and try to stay away from all processed foods
  • jonni82014
    jonni82014 Posts: 1,404 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Organics fudge bar is my treat every night before seven o'clock. Following your diet by being 80% compliant/20% other,is the ratio that my dietitian suggested. Works for me. Real food not processed.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    whats an "other" tho? lol.. thats kinda vague

Not really, it means try to stick to your eating plan 80% of the time and allow yourself 20% (such as holidays, special events, vacations) to eat a little more or eat foods you wouldn't normally include in your diet.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,260 Member
    Options
    For me, making it a point to eat 2-3 servings of fruit daily helped me reduce cravings for higher calorie, less nutrient dense sweets. As a bonus, over time the varied and more subtle/complex flavors of fruit made a lot of the oversweet, commercial so-called "treats" taste simplistic, blah and boring - totally not worth eating. YMMV.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    For me, making it a point to eat 2-3 servings of fruit daily helped me reduce cravings for higher calorie, less nutrient dense sweets. As a bonus, over time the varied and more subtle/complex flavors of fruit made a lot of the oversweet, commercial so-called "treats" taste simplistic, blah and boring - totally not worth eating. YMMV.

Sadly im the exact opposite lol when i eat fruit i do it early in the day just before errands because it gives me 1-1.5 hours of energy and then im starving and its for more sweets. I have to follow my fruit up with a high protein meal an hour or so later and even then if its just a touch to late in the day i find i want more and more sweet uncontrollably at night. Its heart breaking i love fruit smoothie cups and nicecream lol.

Iv taken up an obsession with peanutbutter i make from peanut flour its sweet but more high protein and low sugar gives me the sweetness without the insatiable night hunger. Not sure what im going to do if i get tired of peanutbutter (is that possible?)
  • JaydedMiss
    edited November 2017
    Options
    x5tq8ef5ria8.jpg
    side note...recently just rediscovered pineapple. Holy hell how did i let that slip through my mind for so long. With the weather getting cold the pineapple blended into a smoothie cup with frozen berries is delightful. It hurts my mouth though cant eat it nearly as much as id like xD
  • JaydedMiss
    Options
    im glad you mentioned the pineapple cause the liquid reminds me of boogies

hahaah it thickens really quick like a slushie xD So tropical and yummy. stupid mouth burning acid
  • rawrrgenn
    rawrrgenn Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    cutting sugars out cold turkey has helped me in the past... you'll feel like poop for a while but the body adjusts. some natural fruit and true dark chocolate are good.