Have you tried soda after drinking water for awhile?

Options
I just tried a nice cold coke after going nearly 3 months of just water. (i know i should probably be drinking some juices, probably going to change that) but I decided to drink a nice cold 69 grams of sugar coke. The first sip was tough. The next couple sips tasted very acidic, the taste was terrible, and i just had to grab my bottle of water. It was very thick. I grew up on coke, coke is my all time favorite drink, but I just can't drink it anymore it tasted soooo bad and didn't taste like i was putting something good in my body.

Has anybody else had the same experience?

Replies

• Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Actually, I have been soda free for a while and had one (tried is more it) last weekend.
    it was disgusting! o_o

Can't believe I used to drink 2-3 of those a day :embarassed:
  • kayemmgee5
    kayemmgee5 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I used to drink diet mtn dew, every single day - I tried a sip of it a few weeks ago and it was TERRIBLE. Awful, gross, tasted like chemicals.
  • kayemmgee5
    kayemmgee5 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Actually, I have been soda free for a while and had one (tried is more it) last weekend.
    it was disgusting! o_o

Can't believe I used to drink 2-3 of those a day :embarassed:

I say the same thing! I just told my husband "we used to be THOSE people who drank diet soda with every meal!" I don't even have a taste for it anymore.
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    When I had braces, I was a good girl and didn't drink soda for almost 2 years. When I got my braces off, the soda was so strong that I couldn't tolerate it. Fortunately or unfortunately, I have worked myself back into soda (the diet kind at least) but it's still a very strong drink for me. I don't know how people chug soda without dying.
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I had a Dr. Pepper (my old drink of choice) for the first time after a month of no soda at the airport because I was so tired awhile back. Not only did it not taste the same, but the caffeine didn't even help me!

Also just this weekend tried a few sips of the glass bottle version (aka real sugar) and while it was pretty dang sweet, I would prefer that over the normal canned variety if I ever had to choose.
  • sweetpea129
    sweetpea129 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I was addicted to Pepsi. Every single day I would have like 5 cups. I started drinking it at like 3 yrs old and just increased my intake from there. I craved it. I gave it up in February 2012. It was hard, i had headaches a lot and craved it. Now all i drink is water. Sometimes i will take a sip of my nieces pepsi when we go out to eat and its disgusting. I cant believe i use to drink that. I just like to remind myself of the taste every few months to reaffirm how gross it is to me.
  • eargirl
    eargirl Posts: 15
    Options
    Okay, so I guess I'm the strange one. Gave up soda in January and began to crave it come summer time and it still love, love, love it. Love. I do drink only diet sodas, so they don't have the sickly sweetness. I do find that I want to snack more when I drink diet soda, I guess it's an ingrained habit junk food and soda, so I'm still trying to keep my consumption low. Did I say love?
  • BEEUK
    BEEUK Posts: 113
    Options
    Okay, so I guess I'm the strange one. Gave up soda in January and began to crave it come summer time and it still love, love, love it. Love. I do drink only diet sodas, so they don't have the sickly sweetness. I do find that I want to snack more when I drink diet soda, I guess it's an ingrained habit junk food and soda, so I'm still trying to keep my consumption low. Did I say love?

Diet soda, laced with chemicals to make it taste sweet, is treated almost the same as sugar by your body. So you crave more sweet tasting, sugar packed foods.

You definitely said love :bigsmile:
  • lustergirl
    lustergirl Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    way too sweet!!!!!!!!!!!
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I still enjoy it, but I don't drink nearly as much as I used to. Once in a while I will treat myself to a Diet Pepsi. Water is now my drink of choice.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I hardly ever drink soda, generally just water or ice tea. I had a Dr. Pepper last night for the first time in quite awhile and......

Still delicious.
  • Capt_Inzane
    Capt_Inzane Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I'll allow my son to drink a little soda every now and then (he gets tons of it at the "other" house) but anyways sometimes I'll take a sip and it's just BLEH
  • nobleammonite
    nobleammonite Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Man, the first sip of a Mountain Dew after a few months of drinking only tea and water was HEAVEN. Once I didn't drink it for a year or so, and it still tasted just as awesome when I went back to it. So, uh, no, never had that experience. Sort of wish I did, though, so I would stop wanting Mountain Dew. :D

(I dislike almost all other sodas - they've always tasted too acidic/sickly sweet/over-carbonated to me. And yes, I realize saying other sodas taste sickly sweet in comparison to Mountain Dew is... strange. But my tastebuds are what they are, I guess. And I can't do diet - artificial sweeteners make me gag.)
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    last week, made me sick as a dog, stomach pain, diarrhea, miserable-- will never pick up another one EVER!
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    Quit diet soda for like 2 months once - drank a Coke Zero after that and it was as if I was suckling from the breast of God herself. Actually find it to be useful tool for my weight loss so it is back in the rotation.
  • adlace
    adlace Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    regular old Mt Dew? Still delicious, always delicious. Only time I could kick it was when was on a medication that made carbonated beverages taste like the can they came in....lol.
  • strongmindstrongbody
    strongmindstrongbody Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Yup, I grew up on diet pop and quit when I was an adult because tooth decay was getting out of control. After a few months of abstinence, my mom pressured me into taking a bottle. Serious yuck. It's been years and I don't miss the stuff at all.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    no, but I have tried whiskey
  • serafin366
    serafin366 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    At one point in my life I was drinking 4+ liters of diet coke a day. That eventually got down to about 1 liter a day. 6 weeks ago I gave up soda completely. When we went out to dinner I asked the waiter to bring me a glass of diet coke with my meal. I think I only got through three sips. It was way too much for me!
  • JesseDP00
    JesseDP00 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I quit drink soda about nine months ago, I can't stand it any longer. I personally believe it's one of the worst things one can do, there is nothing redeemable out of it, nothing. I'll take water any time. The only other thing I drink now is Lipton Diet Green Tea, it's next on my chopping block. I normally drink 16oz per day about 4-5 times a week. Good to see you are off Soda, great job!