how do you handle feeling weak and dizzy on weight loss programme?

Options
This is always my stumbling block and has me reaching for the sugar or carbs. I hate that feeling but realise it's going to happen so need to have a handful of tricks up my sleeve for handling it.

Did a short kettlebell workout this morning, then desk work and some very light housework. Then went for a walk this afternoon. Was feeling really great and full of energy when about 2k steps into the walk I suddenly felt really weak and light-headed. Finished the walk and came home. Had a small apple, an orange, a cup of tea and three squares of 85% dark chocolate - which is better than the vast slice of ginger cake I wanted. (My husband baked it - I wouldn't choose to have it in the house.) So a bit of fruit and a bit of very dark chocolate helped, but I'd prefer to be able to surf the urge and just wait until dinner.

What do other people do?

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Getting close to fainting is serious. It could be dehydration, not eating enough, electrolyte imbalance, low blood pressure or low blood sugar.

The best way to find out is to eliminate the potential causes one by one. How many calories are you getting in a day? Do you have a home blood pressure cuff? If not, you may want to visit an in-store machine (up here in Canada they are in all the pharmacies).
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I'd eat more food personally. How many calories per day are you eating? How much do you weigh and how tall are you? Are you going low-carb?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Healthy weight loss (eating less, but not too little, moderate exercise) shouldn't produce those kinds of reactions. Go see your doctor.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Not seeing protein or fat in there. A handful of almonds would have about the same calorie load as the apple or orange, and a longer slower burn time.

Ditto one of the new starkist flavored tuna packets.

• stanmann571
    Options
    I'd eat more food personally. How many calories per day are you eating? How much do you weigh and how tall are you? Are you going low-carb?

Not with an apple and an orange and chocolate bar.
  • cherys
    cherys Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    No, I'm not doing low carb. I find high fibre, carb heavy, low fat works best for me. Or used to. But I could try low carb instead and see if that works better.
    Do other people not experience this when they diet? I thought this was common. It always happens to me.

Stanmann - thanks for the tuna tip. I'll look that up.
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    cherys wrote: »
    No, I'm not doing low carb. I find high fibre, carb heavy, low fat works best for me. Or used to. But I could try low carb instead and see if that works better.
    Do other people not experience this when they diet? I thought this was common. It always happens to me.

Stanmann - thanks for the tuna tip. I'll look that up.

I wouldn't.

What is your daily calorie goal?
  • cherys
    Options
    I'm eating 1400-1500 a day. 5' 4" tall and 30lbs overweight (15 over healthy BMI, but 30 from my comfortable weight.)
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    When you get dizzy, how long has it been since you last ate?
  • cherys
    Options
    Usually about two hours after eating.
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    I got nothing.

It's definitely NOT normal.

I'd check with a doc.
  • stanmann571
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I got nothing.

I'd check with a doc.

May be???Hyper/hypo glycemia/pre-diabetes???

Going Low carb isn't necessary, but going to more protein/fat and unrefined carbs might help.

BUT, See a doc.
  • cherys
    Options
    Hmm. I'm glad I asked. I always assumed everyone got this and wondered how you all go about your daily lives and work and exercise with it. No wonder I find it hard to stick to a weight loss plan. Is there really no one else on here who has this?
  • cherys
    Options
    G
    I got nothing.

I'd check with a doc.

I have to see my doc anyway about something else tomorrow so will ask her then.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Two hours after eating could be low blood sugar. You might have hypoglycemia. This can be found out with some blood tests.

I have gotten dizzy while dieting but only when I was on VLCD. I also had a near fainting spell a day after a fun run on a sweltering day and my doctor-sister was not pleased that I brushed it off. She suggested I was suffering, a day after the run, an electrolyte imbalance.

Definitely not something to ignore.
  • NoxeemaJackson
    NoxeemaJackson Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    It has happened to me before.
    And yes, it's miserable and hard to imagine how anyone could do this long term. But it doesn't HAVE to be this way!
    I checked out your diary - it looks like you started on Monday, yes?
    A couple of things (I'm new to these boards, too!)
    1. Are you set at the right calorie level overall? Could you be burning more calories than you realize? For example, did you set to sedentary, but you are in actuality active?
    2. You didn't hit your protein goal, and protein and fiber are good at sticking with you. For cheap (calorically speaking) protein - do eggs, egg beaters, pb2 (which is powdered peanut butter) on high fiber english muffin, or chicken breast or as someone said, tuna.
    3. I also got dizzy when I was low on iron. Have you ever been tested for anemia? Try adding iron rich foods - beef, spinach, etc. I also take a multi-vitamin with iron (but be careful, it can stop you up if you know what I mean)
    4. Schedule a check up with your doctor. Dizziness and fainting can be very serious!
  • NoxeemaJackson
    NoxeemaJackson Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    This is always my stumbling block and has me reaching for the sugar or carbs. I hate that feeling but realise it's going to happen so need to have a handful of tricks up my sleeve for handling it.

Did a short kettlebell workout this morning, then desk work and some very light housework. Then went for a walk this afternoon. Was feeling really great and full of energy when about 2k steps into the walk I suddenly felt really weak and light-headed. Finished the walk and came home. Had a small apple, an orange, a cup of tea and three squares of 85% dark chocolate - which is better than the vast slice of ginger cake I wanted. (My husband baked it - I wouldn't choose to have it in the house.) So a bit of fruit and a bit of very dark chocolate helped, but I'd prefer to be able to surf the urge and just wait until dinner.

What do other people do?

I would have had some protein after that instead, and some fat. Whenever I work out, even if I don't feel like it's "that hard" I get lightheaded fairly quickly without some protein and fat.
    And ginger cake is nearly impossible to pass up, so good for you on that!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    The only things not touched on is your protein, are you getting enough?

And your hydration. Are you well hydrated? Pee should be a pale straw colour most of the day.
    Are you overhydrated? Too much liquid, especially if it is just water can leave you with an electrolyte imbalance.

I have had a couple of light headed dizzy experiences, due to both of the above (I'm not sure if the low protein was just a coincidence) over a number of years, no way a regular occurrence though.

Good idea to talk to your doc when you go. Please let us know how you got on.

Cheers, h.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Hmm. I'm glad I asked. I always assumed everyone got this and wondered how you all go about your daily lives and work and exercise with it. No wonder I find it hard to stick to a weight loss plan. Is there really no one else on here who has this?

Nope.

Could be the result of the high carbs... Try moderate carbs/fat/protein, see if that helps.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    No, it's not normal. Hopefully your doctor will have some insight. However, low blood sugar after a workout when you're dieting isn't rare.

Eating protein and fat helps to stabilize blood sugar, so if you're eating mainly carbs by themselves it might be something like reactive hypoglycemia. As a teenager with reactive hypoglycemia I had problems with fainting after a high carb only breakfast such as pancakes. The solution is just to add some protein,

If it is blood sugar related, you just need a few carbs at the right moment to bring your level back up. Eat about 15g of quick acting carbs about 15 minutes before working out - that could be a piece of fruit or a glass of milk or even a small candy bar or cookie. After a long workout eat a few carbs and some protein - again, a glass of milk is perfect, or Greek yogurt and fruit.

If you frequently have lows, carry something like glucose gel or smarties candy on your walks for emergencies. I'm on metformin, which tends to prevent the liver from bringing glucose levels up as quickly after depletion, and having a few Smarties after a run makes me much, much more comfortable until I can get home for a proper snack.