how do you handle feeling weak and dizzy on weight loss programme?

Options
2»

Replies

• ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary, I notice all your amounts are in nice, round numbers, which implies to me that you're guessing, at least a little. Normally I'd suspect someone of eating more than they think under those circumstances, but I wonder if you're in fact eating less than you think? Undereating will certainly cause the symptoms you're experiencing. You're already on only 1200 kcal, which is pretty low for someone with only 25 lbs to lose, as you say in your profile.
  • cherys
    cherys Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    This has been such a useful discussion. Thank you all for your replies. I always assumed everyone had this everyday that they tried to lose weight. So if it's not normal, I need to adjust something. More protein and maybe lesswater? I find it easy to overhydrate. Love water.

I can't tell you what an eye opener this has been. No wonder I fail so often. I'm doing something wrong! Will find it and sort it and get that weight shifted.

Thank you!
  • cherys
    Options
    Hi
    ccsernica wrote: »
    Looking at your diary, I notice all your amounts are in nice, round numbers, which implies to me that you're guessing, at least a little. Normally I'd suspect someone of eating more than they think under those circumstances, but I wonder if you're in fact eating less than you think? Undereating will certainly cause the symptoms you're experiencing. You're already on only 1200 kcal, which is pretty low for someone with only 25 lbs to lose, as you say in your profile.

CCSernica - I tend to use measuring spoons and US cups or scales, so I 'know' that the porridge or muesli is exactly 30g or 40g. But you could be right. I measured 75g of pasta yesterday but didn't eat it all.

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    cherys wrote: »
    Hi
    ccsernica wrote: »

CCSernica - I tend to use measuring spoons and US cups or scales, so I 'know' that the porridge or muesli is exactly 30g or 40g. But you could be right. I measured 75g of pasta yesterday but didn't eat it all.

cups and measuring spoons aren't accurate measurements - you would be better to put the container on the scale and scoop out 30g of oatmeal - then see how much you can have
  • xxkaylamae93
    xxkaylamae93 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    krispy1982 wrote: »
    Hi! For me it's salt. I went to the doctor for the same reason (and it's great that you are you for ask yours too) and it was a blood pressure issue from not enough sodium. I wasn't doing it on purpose, but when you're choosing whole foods you don't get the sodium you used to.

She actually prescribed me 1 Pringle to take as needed Ha! What kind of a monster tells you to eat only 1 Pringle? :)

This happened to me in high school, and is what I was going to say! My vision would go all brown and cloudy when I stood up to change classes. I don't really like salty foods; I go out of my way now to eat them. I have figured out that I'll crave enchilada sauce when I'm low. But I felt like crap before!

A trip to the doctor is definitely the place to start.
  • cherys
    Options
    krispy, that's a really interesting point. Did you have low blood pressure? That runs in our family, so maybe that's what it is. I love salt but have cut back on it. Maybe I need more. Once during the summer I drank too much water and suddenly started manically eating neat spoonfuls of marmite which is almost pure salt and Vit B.
  • cherys
    Options
    I'll go back to the scales then. Thanks everyone.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    cherys wrote: »
    This is always my stumbling block and has me reaching for the sugar or carbs. I hate that feeling but realise it's going to happen so need to have a handful of tricks up my sleeve for handling it.

Did a short kettlebell workout this morning, then desk work and some very light housework. Then went for a walk this afternoon. Was feeling really great and full of energy when about 2k steps into the walk I suddenly felt really weak and light-headed. Finished the walk and came home. Had a small apple, an orange, a cup of tea and three squares of 85% dark chocolate - which is better than the vast slice of ginger cake I wanted. (My husband baked it - I wouldn't choose to have it in the house.) So a bit of fruit and a bit of very dark chocolate helped, but I'd prefer to be able to surf the urge and just wait until dinner.

What do other people do?

I don't feel lightheaded and weak. I would be wondering if something was wrong with me or seeing if I was doing something wrong.
    Did you feel better after eating and drinking?
    Is your calorie goal too restrictive? If you are not very overweight it shouldn't be higher than losing 1 lb a week and .5 lb may be more appropriate. With mfp you are supposed to log exercise outside your normal activity level and eat some of those calories.
    Check that you are getting enough calories, protein and fats.
    Drink to your thirst level.
    If everything seems covered but you are still feeling this way see your doctor.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    1. Eat more in general
    2. Eat more protein
    3. Have a good balance of carbs and fats
    4. Eat more frequently thru the day (this helps with low blood sugar)
  • cherys
    Options
    Thanks Loun and Luna. I've upped my protein and salt - both were a bit low. I wasn't feeling hunggry between meals so had no planned snacks but then got that dizzy feeling and ended up eating fruit and dark chocolate to get some sugar, so would be better off, probably, eating some protein-based snack between meals - a few nuts maybe, or some chicken.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I have been reading through this thread and thinking. You say you get this reaction when you diet - so you don't normally feel this way. This means that "doctor" probably isn't the answer, but a closer look at what you do when you diet! Many people do a lot of crazy and unnecessary things to lose weight. To sum up the usual suspects:
    Drinking way too much water
    Reducing salt intake too much
    Reducing calorie intake too much
    Overexercising
    Unbalanced and less varied food intake, usually reducng fat, but also carbs, and sticking to a few "safe" foods.

If you want to lose weight to improve your health, this seems counterproductive. One of the most important life skills you can aquire, is to listen to your body (this means "mindfulness", not being controlled by your emotions, important distinction!). So this makes me a bit sad Had a small apple, an orange, a cup of tea and three squares of 85% dark chocolate - which is better than the vast slice of ginger cake I wanted Maybe cake actually would have been better for you?
  • cherys
    Options
    Kommo - I understand what you are saying. Thing is - I used to have a very healthy attitude to food. Never dieted, ate what I wanted, when I wanted, stopped when full, never ate when not hungry and was never overweight - my BMI was absolutely bang in the middle of the chart. And I exercised a fair bit.

But a couple of health issues and some lifestyle changes meant I ended up on medication that slows you down and had a sedentary job and the weight really piled on. I found myself craving carbs (side effect of the medication). So it's quite helpful and empowering for me to look at ginger cake and think - no, I'll have fruit because if I eat ginger cake I'll have a slice the size of my hand and then be growling for more sugar all evening. Whereas fruit and dark chocolate got rid of the dizziness and put me back on track and in under calories. The ginger cake was dripping with treacle and biutter - even a small slice would have been about 450 calories.

So, for me, part of the process is working out how to get back to that healthy attitude to food and one thing is to avoid sugar trigger foods while I'm still on medication that tends to make people crave carbs.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I have had to work on my relationship with food, too - I have been overweight and/or worried about my weight for many years. Lots of things to learn (and unlearn, which is really hard). Both overeating and demonizing food can create the habit of overeating. Learning to feed oneself responsibly is difficult, but important, and wonderfully empowering.