Sweet tooth

What can I do to curb my maddening desire for sweets?!?

Replies

• goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    What I think worked for me was:

Adequate protein
    Adequate calories
    Exercise

A period of abstention followed by allowing back in sugar in forms that weren't "triggers", eg no cake, cookies, chocolate bars initially but sweetened yogurt, sweetened protein bars, sugar in my coffee etc were ok. Now I successfully have some of my "trigger" foods too. I had some earlier on in the process too, but less successfully.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    A maddening desire can't be curbed. If you can be satisfied, eat whatever satisfies you. If you can't be satisfied, just have some of what you want, or just don't buy it.
  • Equina
    Equina Posts: 59 Member
    I also enjoy sweets. To an obsessive degree. I scratch the itch with homemade dehydrated watermelon. Pineapple is good too. I also really like Halo Top ice cream. Good luck!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    I used to have a big problem with self control around ice cream. I stopped bringing it into the house for a long time. I would pick up single servings at most once per week. After a couple months, I would test myself by bringing in a smaller tub, and found it would be gone in no time. I continued this pattern for what seemed like forever, but over time, I did find that I got used to having smaller servings, and was able to keep some in the house without over-consuming. Prior to working through all of this, I used to try to white-knuckle through it and tell myself it was forbidden. I always caved and then felt bad about myself. I needed to interrupt that pattern and accept that occasional indulgences were not my problem.

Hopefully, you will find a strategy that works for you.
  • sriley721
    sriley721 Posts: 68 Member
    Dippers, frozen chocolate covered fruit for around 100 calories
  • theyoginurse
    theyoginurse Posts: 82 Member
    Great ideas so far. I drink a lot of cold water and use delay gratification when I need to. What’s helping me is knowing that I can have it if it fits in my caloric intake. I eat lots of vegetables. I just got a new recipe for protein fluff I’m going to try: 20 grams Casein protein powder, 6 grams Xanthium gum, and 10 ounces of liquid (not water). You mix it with a mixer for like 10-15 minutes and it becomes this huge amount of fluff for like 80 calories!
  • plbassriel2
    plbassriel2 Posts: 5 Member
    I go for a couple of marshmallows...sugar rush and yummy
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,179 Member
    I deliberately chose at the very beginning to include a sweet snack each day of my effort. This was a frank concession to desire. My desire could get a little bit of satisfaction, but would not be allowed to make all my choices. It seems to have worked, as I'm 101 lb down today. I've also learned the calories of a lot of different 'fun size', 'mini', and 'individual size' candies. I've even taught my eyes to be satisfied with 4 oz of ice cream.

Those snacks are often the last thing I have, after I've had 3 meals designed to deliver protein, fat, and fiber.

Today, not so much, but most days when I've been within my calorie target, it worked because I started the day getting 30 grams of protein and got close to 30 grams of protein at every meal, and never tried to avoid fat. I used whole milk to make my kefir, real cheese on my pizza, and real ice cream.
  • Polaretapink
    Polaretapink Posts: 25 Member
    Honestly , I tried the moderation thing and it did not work because I am a chocolate addict , and once I start to eat chocolate I just cant stop. So I just decided to cut chocolate out completely for now and have a lollylop ( only 50 cals ) when I am craving something sweet.
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Frozen fruit is fun in the summer. I eat a lot of fruit when the cravings are strong. I mix peanut butter and chocolate to form a fudge like treat. I just dont care if I want a donut every morning... I just dont do it. I look at it the same way as sometimes I want to smack my sister but I dont do it... some things just arent appropriate as an adult.
  • pogiguy05
    pogiguy05 Posts: 1,583 Member
    Am I the only who after controlling refined carbs and sugars other things start to taste sweeter. The one thing I can think of is a ripe Banana. I can slowly enjoy it and savor the sweetness it has when I get as craving. Sometimes I just gotta have that chocolate and was surprised Lindor Truffles serving was 3 truffles. As the Banana I savored the bites and that did it for me. Last night I was craving something sweet and I looked around and could not find anything and simply told myself to get over it. I have worked very hard to get myself into the gym and eating right. I am not gonna jeopardize that for myself. Trust me when I say it is not easy to change, I use to be someone who would mix sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl and eat it with a spoon.
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,073 Member
    Try dark chocolate or if it fits your daily allotment, allow yourself to have a sweet every day.