Food tracking revelations - Share your ZOMG moments

Options

Replies

• AprilMae1975
    Options
    Harvest Grain and nut pancakes from IHOP.....don't let the name trick you!! To think I used to eat a stack plus eggs, bacon and hashbrowns!!!!!

http://www.ihop.com/menus/main-menu/pancakes/harvest-grain-and-nut-pancakes
  • UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Most sadly is the pasta portions. I have to have less than half of what I used to eat if I want to stay within my calories. Now I eat pasta as a side with a lean protein like a piece of breast chicken, making the meal less calories as a whole.

After reading everyone posting about pasta portion sizes being so wee, I decided to break out the measuring yesterday when I made pasta and shrimp with garlic scape pesto for dindins.

...Let's just say I really had shrimp with garlic scape pesto and the pasta was kind of a vague hallucination that was gone before I sat down.

How have you been tracking things without measuring/weighing?
  • Raevyns
    Raevyns Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    How have you been tracking things without measuring/weighing?

Eyeballing it.

I've been cooking and baking my whole life and very nearly went down the path of becoming a professional chef. I can easily figure a tbsp, tsp, and the varied cup measures. What flummoxes me is dry weight. I can grok liquid oz, and oz in regards to a serving of meat but dry things like pasta? It just doesn't parse. So I guesstimated pasta/rice/grains if measuring by weight.

Thankfully I'm not a huge pasta person, but still, revelation.
  • Raevyns
    Options
    Harvest Grain and nut pancakes from IHOP.....don't let the name trick you!! To think I used to eat a stack plus eggs, bacon and hashbrowns!!!!!

http://www.ihop.com/menus/main-menu/pancakes/harvest-grain-and-nut-pancakes

You know what I forget when logging stuff from restaurants? Extras. Like my sammich toppings for Subway stuff. And the extra pancakes you get with your meal at IHOP. Oops. :/

Sneaky calorieses.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Meh those pancakes could be worse. It's 681 calories for 3 (yeah, I was curious, had to look it up). I was expecting 1000 or something, lol!

Really just check restaurant menus if you want a heart attack. That Godiva cheesecake I got at the Cheesecake Factory 8 months ago... 900 calories a piece. Those cute little dessert shooters from Applebee's... 370 to 470 calories. It's just crazy.
  • appifanie
    appifanie Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Raevyns - You use pinkie pie pics! I like you.

ZOMG moments. I make these healthy smoothies that were low points on WW but are pretty high calorically. I'm not super bummed, b/c it's mostly fruit, but it's still kind of shocking. Soy milk, bananas, some other kind of fruit, vanilla rice protein, psyllium powder - 400 calories or a lil more! Darn you bananas.

Banana chips. I love Trader Joe's banana chips but a tiny serving is 160 cals. Geez.
  • Raevyns
    Options
    Raevyns - You use pinkie pie pics! I like you.

ZOMG moments. I make these healthy smoothies that were low points on WW but are pretty high calorically. I'm not super bummed, b/c it's mostly fruit, but it's still kind of shocking. Soy milk, bananas, some other kind of fruit, vanilla rice protein, psyllium powder - 400 calories or a lil more! Darn you bananas.

Banana chips. I love Trader Joe's banana chips but a tiny serving is 160 cals. Geez.

Bananas, man.

I make smoothies too. I tend not to be hard on myself if I go over my caloric limits but I've done so because of fruit/veggies. Because health. I figure that if I've gone over calories with fruit or veg it's a good thing.

Also:

PinkiePieGir.png
  • hzliiz
    hzliiz Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    How tragically little a level tablespoon of peanut butter is and the calories in a fast food milkshake...egads!
  • Raevyns
    Options
    Today's ZOMG moment: My favorite sushi, Unagi, is PACKED WITH CALORIES. 6 unagi nigiri was nearly 500 cals. POUT.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Today's ZOMG moment: My favorite sushi, Unagi, is PACKED WITH CALORIES. 6 unagi nigiri was nearly 500 cals. POUT.

That seems like a lot! Might be the sauce they put on them?
  • canadiangirl014
    canadiangirl014 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'm relatively new to MFP, just joined this week and I've had several ZOMG moments this week by logging in food and checking the stats on other items I think I might have. Latest though was my Chinese food dinner - had company over, ordered Chinese and ZOMG!! I was over everything for the day - calories, sodium etc. And I didn't even eat as much as I would have if I wasn't logging in my foods and trying to control my portion sizes.
  • Raevyns
    Options
    That seems like a lot! Might be the sauce they put on them?

It HAS to be! Such delicious eels. I will miss them.
  • Raevyns
    Options
    I'm relatively new to MFP, just joined this week and I've had several ZOMG moments this week by logging in food and checking the stats on other items I think I might have. Latest though was my Chinese food dinner - had company over, ordered Chinese and ZOMG!! I was over everything for the day - calories, sodium etc. And I didn't even eat as much as I would have if I wasn't logging in my foods and trying to control my portion sizes.

Isn't it madness? Tracking really clarifies things. For better or for worse.
  • clairedrose
    clairedrose Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    [quote
    [/quote]
    thought that grazing on what I believed to be healthy food was supposed to be good for my metabolism. WRONG. I was just hoovering calories, salt and starch. Constantly. Hooooovering them u
    [/quote]

Lol.."hoovering" cracked me up! Lots of revelations for me. Way too much cheese, bread, carbs. Too much added sugar. from surprising places. Too little protein.
  • treasured_one
    treasured_one Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Quick... that chocolate powdered stuff! I don't like plain milk at all, so I would always throw 3 or 4 good spoonfuls of the stuff into it...

First day I logged that was also the last day!

Now I drink chocolate almond milk. Still too much sugar, but the calories are easier to handle.
  • Raevyns
    Options
    Lol.."hoovering" cracked me up! Lots of revelations for me. Way too much cheese, bread, carbs. Too much added sugar. from surprising places. Too little protein.

Hoooooooovering!

You know what's funny? Until I started tracking my noms, I thought I had a sweet tooth. Then I saw all of the salt and fat and protein and not all that much sugar.

Tricked myself, I did!
  • Raevyns
    Options
    Pleasant ZOMG moment: The strawberry-mint margarita I just made is relatively low calorie even though I muddled the strawberries and mint in sugar.

I'm beginning to suspect that processed food and restaurant food are the true calorie culprits.
  • RilantheFirebug
    RilantheFirebug Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    SALADS.

Mostly eating out. I'd be like 'oh, well clearly this is an ok choice'. NOPE. Ugh. A lot of times you'd get less calories with a burger and fries than a salad! Something is wrong with that.
  • Vicki8524
    Options
    Twizzlers! Fast food shakes (insane!). Cereal portion sizes. Panera mac n cheese. Wendy's.

And most of all my grazing habits. I would make a grilled cheese and while it was cooking, eat at least 2 pieces of cheese. I would eat while I was making meals. And then snack in between meals.

MFP has been so eye opening and counting calories changed my life.
  • KAS0917
    KAS0917 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Like most others, portion size, when I started measuring, was my biggest eye opener.

Especially: peanut butter, cereal and pasta. I could easily eat at least 3/4 a box of Velveeta Shells & Cheese. Granted, I have them about 2x a year, but still!

Ironically I found that I also underestimated sometimes. I would say I had a 1/2 cup of mashed potatoes, but when you actually measure them out, a 1/2 cup is a lot! I was probably only having 1/4 cup.

As far as straight calories, margaritas! Wow! I mean, I knew they had no nutritional value, and didn't think they were a health food, but WOW are they high in calories. I tend to just stick to wine these days.