How many days do you hit the gym?

Options

Replies

• cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    nexangelus wrote: »
    I am a three day a week gym-goer (lifting all the heavy things no cardio). I am fairly active otherwise cycling and walking lots (no car) every day.

Me too basically.
    (Well, I have 2 cars, but I commute by public transport because London, and average something like 12,000 steps despite a desk job.)

I've tried up to 5 gym sessions a week, plus a pilates class, but for me it was counterproductive.
    I have neurological issues, so maybe I need more recovery time than normal (if normal is even a thing), but I saw the biggest change in my body by going on to 3 lifting sessions a week and getting my calories/macros right.

I think the anxiety point is also important. I'd much rather have a manageable routine that I can stick to than one that's so time intensive I frequently fail.
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    I am in the gym building 5-7 days a week. Gym itself, probably 3 times a week regularly. I swim mon-fri mornings and lift weights 3 times (SL 5x5) mon-fri. The swims are mostly relaxing before work, generally 20mins, swim 1km then go sit in the steam room.
    Saturday is hit and miss depending on wake up time - I don't set an alarm Saturdays and use it as my rest day if I feel the urge to rollover in bed! haha
    Sundays, again could be hit and miss depending on social events but usually weights/Pilates/swim.

I go for walks and play squash outside of the 'gym times' but that is more social anyways!
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Now, I go 4 days minimum (squat/bench/dl/ohp days). I like to squeeze in a 5th to walk, foam roll, maybe even hit fun muscles (bis/tris/calves) a second time during the week.

There have definitely been periods where I have gone 6-7 days; 4-5 a week to lift and 1 or 2 dedicated cardio days. I dropped the dedicated cardio days, b/c I don't need to lose weight, and have a new, more active job.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I lift 4-5x/week. I do cardio and/or Abs on my “off days” so yes, I pretty much workout everyday.

I don’t know anyone who lifts everyday if that is what the OP is asking. There are programs out there like PPL where you lift x6/week that many have had success with. That said, training and recovery is an individual thing. You have to figure out what works for YOU.
  • ChelzFit
    ChelzFit Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I have finally found a happy medium with four days a week and the other three just some light walking. When I was training 5-6 days a week it was overkill for me. I just feel so much better physically and mentally with the four days a week. I have a really hard time with exercising too much and overtraining. I still have to remind myself often that more is not always better.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    3 days, sometimes 4.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Depends on the program I'm running at the time. Ranges from 3-5 days. Right now it's 5. Starting in Jan, after this program, it will be 4 days.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Monday through Friday on my lunch break. Lift three days, swim two. Weekends tend to be full of hiking, cycling, or cross country skiing.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Once for a fitness class. Otherwise, I run outdoors 4-5 days a week and cross train 1 day a week in the gym.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    4 days at the gym and usually 1 home workout. My body needs rest days where I just walk and play with my kids (active rest).
  • SouthernMamaUnderConsruction
    Options
    I do in home workouts.. but I do 5-6 days a week
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I enjoy 4 days a week with the other 3 making an extra effort to be active still (take the stairs, go for a walk, stretch, shop)
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    3 days full body lifts in the gym mon/wed/fri. Then I try to add in cardio outside or at home on Tues/Thurs.
  • keto_strong
    keto_strong Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    It’s hard finding the balance between enough and too much. I go to the gym 5 days a week. Cardio each day, switching it up to keep it fun. Strength training arms, shoulders, back 3 days. Legs and abs twice.
  • FAAB_too
    FAAB_too Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Every chance I get. I try to go daily but don't beat myself up if I only make it 3 days that week. I just try to stay active no matter what.
  • liftorgohome
    liftorgohome Posts: 25,455 Member
    Options
    4-5 days a week
  • StatsGuy99
    StatsGuy99 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    5 days a week, weights in the morning and cardio in the afternoon. Weekends are for sleeping in.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    As long as you've got enough variety to have sufficient and appropriate rest and recovery.

You could for example(for a while if you're young and feeding your activity)

MWF Run
    TThS Progressive lifting program
    STTh Yoga/gymnastics

You could even run every day as long as you don't run as far or as hard on your Lifting days.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    0. Im lazy i guess. I hate gyms XD I walk often and lift at work iv just never found the desire to lift / walk literally 10-12 hours a day and then run off to a gym like itl make much difference at that point.

Side note -story time

On a dating app recently some guy called me a lieing fat whale when i said im into fitness but dont go to a gym. At this point mind you i already learned the guy has a desk job and goes to the gym for 45 minutes twice a week.
    He then went on to blow up at me and rage at me calling me a stupid moron for calling my work (walking 20-30k steps -12ish miles a day while lifting huge bulky heavy furniture up and down stairs for 10-12 hour shifts) isnt exercise and im stupid for thinkign it is and unless i go to the gym im a weak idiot who cant be into fitness LOL.

again...10-12 hours a day lifting heavy on my feet...<...45 minutes twice a week after sitting on *kitten* all day....

Was pretty funny lol
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    0. Im lazy i guess. I hate gyms XD I walk often and lift at work iv just never found the desire to lift / walk literally 10-12 hours a day and then run off to a gym like itl make much difference at that point.

Side note -story time

On a dating app recently some guy called me a lieing fat whale when i said im into fitness but dont go to a gym. At this point mind you i already learned the guy has a desk job and goes to the gym for 45 minutes twice a week.
    He then went on to blow up at me and rage at me calling me a stupid moron for calling my work (walking 20-30k steps -12ish miles a day while lifting huge bulky heavy furniture up and down stairs for 10-12 hour shifts) isnt exercise and im stupid for thinkign it is and unless i go to the gym im a weak idiot who cant be into fitness LOL.

again...10-12 hours a day lifting heavy on my feet...<...45 minutes twice a week after sitting on *kitten* all day....

Was pretty funny lol

Glad you can laugh at this. It would piss me off (but then I'm not dating).

:smiley: