Christmas music is bad for your mental health, British psychologist says?

Options

Replies

• pudgy1977
    pudgy1977 Posts: 13,499 Member
    Options
    That article sounds like it was written by a 12 yr old.
  • pudgy1977
    pudgy1977 Posts: 13,499 Member
    Options
    xzw4pe8ycm5y.gif
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,507 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »

When I'm in the mood I listen to Celine Dion, Barbra Streisand and The Trans Siberian Orchestra's Christmas collections and I LOVE it. But I have to be in the mood.

In the mood for listening to Celine Dion & Barbra Streisand?

Is that mood aptly named: self loathing?
  • arson714
    arson714 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I knew I liked the Brits.
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Aside from being mentally draining, we've been listening to the same crap for decades. Christmas music really is the worst ever.

You're just evil.
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    Options
    I don't like music being played in stores in general

You're just weird.
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    I don't like music being played in stores in general

doesn't it depend on the music?

.... It's fun grocery shopping to speed metal.

LOL no not really. I don't really like music. Unpopular opinion I know. I wouldn't call it psychologically damaging though, I'm not that fragile.

For some reason I do like Christmas hymnals though

Not sure which one is you.

maxresdefault.jpg
  • Breeticus87
    Breeticus87 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    There is only one thing I agree with in this article, and its that it is mentally stressing for the workers. I used to work for Garden Ridge when I was 19 (now 30) and hearing those songs was stressful because its a tough time of year for retail. That being said Christmas music is wonderful! It sounds like this came off as an opinion rather than a fact, which shame on a medical man of science to do so. See some people might be stressed about getting everything ready and prepared for Christmas, but there are also people who enjoy all the wonders of buying gifts, and making the house look festive, and making the most of their holiday. If anyone out there is a scrooge and hates the hassle of buying gifts, and decorating the house, and participating in the holiday, by all means, dont. However, some people like gift giving, and decorating not only because it makes them happy, but because they love to see the looks on peoples faces when they open up that special something you got just for them. I am pretty upset that this so called "Doctor" would lump it all into one negative thing. That's the problem with the world today, everyone thinks its all black and white "This is bad!" "That is good!" truth be told this world is a giant gray area, what is stressful, and frustrating to some people, makes other people joyous, and hopeful.

I suppose I am being a bit biased, but the truth is someone is going to read this article that was truly elated and joyful about the upcoming holiday, and then start to doubt themselves. It could easily ruin someones Christmas and even worse there is a domino effect. You ruin one person's Christmas, then they pass on that negativity, and so on and so forth, its just not right... I only come at this so harshly because there was a poll this year that I saw on the news the other day that a lot of people have decided not to do Christmas at all this year... Thats heartbreaking... Remember being a little kid during the holidays, it was so much fun, and Christmas eve everyone is all excited and drinking eggnog, waiting for Santa to come that night. Singing songs around the Christmas tree about Jesus. Just saying it might not mean much to us adults, but it sure means a lot to the kids, and the world just keeps getting a little more immoral everyday. Why would you take a positive thing away from a child like that?

P.S. If anyone wants to give me a sob story about how their childhood Christmas wasn't like that, then you know what, I do feel sorry for you, truly I do, but that shouldn't mean because your Christmas wasn't good as a kid that you should take Christmas away from your children...

(Sorry for the rant, I am just sickened by peoples selfish attitudes lately, especially around this season. It's the time of year where you are supposed to say to yourself and to others... You know its been a tough year, but right now I am in the comforting arms of my family, and come January 1st I get a fresh start, thats the tradition, thats love, lets not take away one of the last remaining comforts of life)

Well jeez. Ah, Merry Christmas then.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQHqyysrNEL0tr_m4y2vYcpm05zTNSuup9udqRc13tKuTepzH71TQ

Lol look I know that all came off a bit harsh, I just dont understand all the cynicism this year, and truth be told I am starting to feel like a hypocrite because im being cynical towards the cynicism xD
  • jcstevens86
    jcstevens86 Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Ima weird 1....i enjoy christmas music
  • Svanel
    Svanel Posts: 6,255 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Ima weird 1....i enjoy christmas music

Christmas music is so awesome - love that Christmas spirit. My favorite holiday song is Elvis Presley's Blue Christmas. I had this playing last christmas and was singing along, drove right past my house, that's how good this song is to me haha :D