Christmas music is bad for your mental health, British psychologist says?

Options

Replies

• Versicolour
    Versicolour Posts: 7,164 Member
    Options
    Corprina wrote: »
    I could listen to this on repeat any time of year (in fact, I do):
    https://youtu.be/ifCWN5pJGIE

And one of my favourite by them is:
    https://youtu.be/o10drRI3VQ0

I love their 'Mary Did You Know.' They are amazing. I saw them in concert in August. They were performing John Lennon's 'Imagine' and and close to the end of the song a falling star or comet, not sure which, streaked across the sky. It was really bright. It only lasted a few seconds and was really close. I've never witnessed anything like it before. It felt to me like a divine message from God. IT WAS EPIC. The audience loved it. It couldn't have been more awesome. Of course, Pentatonix had no idea exactly what happened. I would've loved getting that on video!
    Eta: I love Christmas music. Oh Holy Night is my favorite.

Oh wow! That must have been incredible! I love all their Christmas songs, but Mary Did You Know always gives me goosebumps. It must have been amazing to see them live!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    I didn't know Ebeneezer was a psychologist?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Some good holiday music gets you in the holiday spirit... and some makes my ears bleed.
  • _pi3_
    _pi3_ Posts: 2,311 Member
    Options
    I think the older and more jaded you get the more Christmas music is less magic and more........ bad memories

Christmas definitely doesn't have the same appeal it did 10 or 15 years ago
  • marelthu
    marelthu Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I don't mind Christmas music but when it's played at Christmas. One of the radio stations in my city started playing it on November 1. Ridiculous.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    It would be one thing if the xmas music would only play 1-2 weeks out of the year...

When it starts playing before Halloween is when it is really depressing/annoying. I'm sorry, I live in cold climate. Those "joyful carols" mean snow and cold are fast approaching. Yes, I do love snow sometimes, and winter is pretty and all, but there's only so much one can take of it before they start calling it white s*** and wanting to toss the elves further than a dang olympian javelin.

Maybe I'm just a grinch, or maybe my family is a picky bunch, but gift shopping is the worst. I'd much rather focus on getting together with loved ones than trying to find that one very specific thing they absolutely want for as cheap as possible because they'll throw a tantrum if it's not what they get (or alternatively they say "don,t get me anything", and then balk when you actually don't get them something, or get mad because you didn't get them the thing they wanted but didn't want to say)...

See, now I'm all stressed and it was just at the mention of christmas music! Haha.

No, but seriously. I used to sing those carols in school and had a blast doing so. And I'll go to all my friend's concerts around this time of year because I choose to. When I'm shopping, though? You,re just making me want to get out as fast as possible...

And I worked in a restaurant where we had the radio on all the time, on the exact same station. It was hell listening to the same exact songs every single day almost in the exact same order. It was even worse during the holidays. I can't imagine people working retail and having to deal with this for more than 2ish weeks... So... why not just give everyone a break and just keep the radio silent in stores, pl0x (or at least the way it is the rest of the week)? We already get to see all the decorations when we walk in to be reminded what time of the year it is, anyway... lol
  • beagletracks
    beagletracks Posts: 6,034 Member
    Options
    Oh my god who the *kitten* cares.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    _barefoot_ wrote: »
    I <3 Christmas music it's so peaceful ..

I mean who doesn't love this song Elmo & Patsy - Grandma Got Run over by a Reindeer !

https://youtu.be/MgIwLeASnkw

There is another really funny' The 12 Days of Christmas

Can't find the video but it goes like bringing down the lights , I want some candy , I hate her she's a witch I hate her . It's funny !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMxgttJpbZE

:D:D:D
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Wear headphones at all times outdoors, problem solved.

Listen to your own music
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Christmas, Easter, etc have all become 6 month events.

Where instead of being a week or two of holiday decorations and foods it has become several months of celebrations where by time you get to the actual day all you want is for it to end.