I'm undecided whether to tell people I'm on a diet. Scared of the negativity

Options
I'm scared of the negativity and pressure I'd be under. I'm on Facebook. Should I post about it?

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I say no. I logged my runs for a while and I got lots of likes for those.
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    It should be more about healthy eating regime that you can adopt for life ' diets'
    Are short term
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    What you eat is nobody else's business - so you shouldn't feel obligated to tell anyone, but you can if you want to, just be prepared that people may want to share their opinions. Just like I am now: It's generally not a good idea to go on a diet. To lose weight, you just have to consistently eat less. If you think that sounds boring, unexciting and ineffective, compare it with how difficult or dreary you think starting and going on a diet, is, or seems - it's always your choice what to do, but you can't decide the outcome of any given choice.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    .......when you do start really taking it off.....post a picture of yourself in a new cute outfit and ask if they think if the style or color suits you.
    Of course they will ask why...how...and what but don't answer "that" question. Oh how fun that would be!
  • deadenddiva
    deadenddiva Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I let people know if I am actually going to be sharing a meal with them. If it is something like an event where there are snacks provided, then it is up to me to chose wisely, or to just not indulge, but I always let people who want to feed me know that I am learning new habits, have health concerns, etc. Telling folks you worry about diabetes is a great way to get them involved in a positive manner, especially since it is a huge health concern now. https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2017/p0718-diabetes-report.html
  • enyagoboom
    enyagoboom Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    FWIW: my experiences in the past were I would tell everyone because of 'accountability' and I'd go strong for a couple of weeks and invariably get sidetracked and... well. fail. Again.

This time, I didn't tell anyone when I started - not even my husband. I wasn't keeping it a secret, but I was trying to focus on making the changes I needed to make and try things out with room to both fail and start up again without everyone's input. As I've gone on people have been looped in to varying degrees of success, and when I hit 100 days of tracking and nearly 20lbs down, I posted about it because I do think MFP has made all the difference this time.

Overall, I talk about these changes more now than I did in July because those changes have become center stage in my life - swimming, fitness, losing weight, needing to look at going clothing shopping - those are results that I'm really happy to share. And even though I've had setbacks and bad days and maybe a slower loss than I'd like, I can talk about them too because I know they come and go and I'm seeing an overall downward trend.

The biggest thing is trying not to become the person who *only* talks about fitness and food.

Whatever you do, when you engage people on this topic you are opening yourself to their positive and negative comments. If this is a fear for you, dig into the reason why it makes you anxious, and engage that fear. Or find new people who aren't obnoxious jackholes. Your mileage may vary. All the best!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why people feel the need to talk about this kind of stuff.
  • munster14
    munster14 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I didn't tell anybody until it naturally came up in conversation, such as when they ask what I plan to eat at lunch or supper. Answering salad is pretty much a dead giveaway and leads to the diet unveiling.
  • Karliemyalgia
    Karliemyalgia Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Diets are typically known to be short term, so people might get caught up in that thought.

Are you doing this long term? Short term? Are you making genuine changes to your eating to bring with you into the future? If so, then I'd consider it a "lifestyle change" and not a diet. If you want to avoid the numbskulls caught up over a word, just change the word :)
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,368 Member
    Options
    personally, I don't share personal stuff on FB or share anything I want comments about. But I'm an introvert & don't like to be noticed too much. I do notice when ppl do share they get so much advice & I don't want that. That's why I share on here with like minded ppl. On the other hand, I have a friend who lost 70 lbs so far on keto & shares all the time. I say good for her if that's what she wants to do. I also encourage & congratulate her. The general public doesn't know or care about weight loss & has a lot of opinions so think about it first.
  • mysteps2beauty
    mysteps2beauty Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    leggup wrote: »
    Never post that you're in the process/going to achieve something. Post when you have a result to be proud of, like succeeding in your weight loss goals.

I find this to be a good approach. I read somewhere that when you announce that you are doing something that takes the impetus off from doing it....like saying it somehow becomes I did it. And then you don't. So if you want to say something say it after you have some measurable attainments, like maybe lose 50% of what you are aiming for. Frankly, I'd keep it mum until someone says something like, you look different, what are you doing?
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,363 Member
    Options
    Not everything in your life needs to be posted on facebook nor do you need tell anyone about your weight loss efforts unless you genuinely want to.