Coming home from work is the worst...

Breakfast calories.....perfect

Lunch calories......awesome

Dinner.....diseaster

Snacks.....never feel the urge to eat anything before bed

I am tired of losing will power on the way home to work and while I am making supper for my family. If I can find the strength during that block of time, the scale would be actually moving down and I would not feel like such a loser for not having better self control.

Is dinner time tricky for you?

Replies

• aubyshortcake
    aubyshortcake Posts: 796 Member
    Yes, I do great in the early parts of the day but when I get home from work as soon as I start eating my appetite decides I need massive portions, or if I don't have massive portions I'll end up going for the snacks afterwards.

I'm a server in a restaurant so I'm constantly moving at work but still, not enough to allow this amount of food to keep me in a deficit.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I usually have a plan for dinner (in my head, not normally anywhere else) and prepare it, and may modify based on the calories I want. I'm not sure why dinner is hard -- are you snacking while preparing dinner, deciding to prepare high calorie foods, or having issues with portion control? The solution might depend on what specifically is the issue.
  • Jtucker970
    Jtucker970 Posts: 1 Member
    edited November 2017
    Hi Jen, ...coming home from teaching all day is hard...3-4:30 is my toooo hungry time!
  • ggeise14
    ggeise14 Posts: 386 Member
    Agree with lemurcat12 about trying to trouble shoot. Seems like OP was looking for what works for others. It's just DH & I at home now so we have a more limited menu but when we had our oldest still living with us we tried leaving the main course, etc on the counter so we had to get up to get more. Veggies were on the table. If it's during meal prep that throws you off, try committing one day at a time to not snack or have some fresh cut up veggies handy until you can leave them in the refrig until it's time to eat. Baby steps and you can get there.
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    I have an extremely weak point that normally stretches from 2 pm to 6 pm. I dont know why but I am guessing it has something to do with not eating enough for lunch. Are your calories too minimal for the beginning of the day?
  • WhereIsPJSoles
    WhereIsPJSoles Posts: 622 Member
    You’re not alone, I’m usually pretty hungry at dinner time too. I love having things like spaghetti squash because you can get a large amount for few calories. Packing more veggies in whatever you’re having is a great way to feel more full without overdoing it.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    I am so glad , you all have strength and will power , good for you guys. I shouldn't have posted this post . Now I feel beyond stupid.

Not stupid at all. Just a problem for you. Find a solution for you. Try eating a bigger breakfast for one week. Try eating a bigger lunch for one week. Try a large snack in the afternoon for one week. Try having dinner already prepared when you get home, just need to heat it up for one week. Hopefully something will work.
    Oh, and try having a snack on the way home from work.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    I started using my breakfast calories for a mini-meal at 4 hold me over til dinner. I supposed that could be considered IF. Regardless, it’s helped.