Walking outside

Options
Alright guys,

What are your thoughts on walking outside ?, I do my cardio indoors because of convenience, I train weights and then do the cardio after to save time.

The weather is cold, so that puts me off the cardio outside as well.

Replies

• watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Walking outside is the best. I sleep so much better when I have been for a fresh walk. Minus 40 is not uncommon here and that won't stop me!
  • Westschmeis
    Westschmeis Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Always walk outside, down to -20 below zero, so only a few days per year not outside. All those layers require more calories, in my theory! heh
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Love it! But it can get hard to get your rear out the door on cold or rainy days. That's the hardest part, the walk itself is always much better than I anticipated.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    It's great to have the scenery changing constantly, fresh air in your face, the sky over your head, gardens and peoples' dogs and just moving around. If it's nasty out, knowing there's a hot shower and dry clothes at home can make all the difference.
  • sbrown6
    sbrown6 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    i love it and its my main source of exercise. My lunch time walks are the best cuz they get me out of the building and break up my day which makes it go by so much faster.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,036 Member
    Options
    I used to walk and cycle to work or university at -40C/F.

So ... how cold is it where you are?
  • texasfit78
    texasfit78 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I love it I usually average between 3-6 miles each morning before work anyone can add me
  • ttreit
    ttreit Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I love walking outside but joined a gym because if it's too hot or too cold or too slippery I don't always have the willpower to do it. With the gym I have no excuse and being around the people working out motivates me. I'll still go for walks outside too but for me the gym made it so I have no excuse.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I love hiking on cold, drizzly days. Particularly in foresty/rainforest areas.
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    Ever take a night time walk in light drizzling rain/snow along a quiet street with beautiful dim light appreciating the little stuff and the feel of the cold and the beautiful drifting snow/rain in puddles. Its so relaxing and then going home to a nice hot shower. Wouldnt give it up.

I would never walk at night here. (I don't live in a great area.) I would fear getting beaten up or attacked and those thoughts would not be enjoyable. But your option sounds really nice.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    _barefoot_ wrote: »
    I like walking outside because the fresh air and you can't just quit .
    When I am on a treadmill I am likely to quit but if your a miles away from home you can't just stop and quit you have no choice you must keep going.

Same thing with on a bike.

That's a really good point. Treadmill, you get bored and want to quit - you can. Walking outside, you get bored and want to quit - you have to walk back, first!
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    When I am on a treadmill I am likely to quit but if your a miles away from home you can't just stop and quit you have no choice you must keep going.

Not sure why i wasnt smart enough to mention this lol, I take advantage of it by walking as far as i can pretending i dont then have to turn around and walk back, Then walk back xD Im WAY to lazy to ever fool myself that id walk very far on a treadmill lol
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    When I am on a treadmill I am likely to quit

so true. although in my case i'll (occasionally) run on a treadmill but never on real pavement. dunno why. cycling though, is something i do irl and i've found that i just-can't when it's an exercise bike. absolutely no motivation and no way for me to fool myself that i'm 'going' anywhere. for some reason i like that feeling when i'm on a treadmill. probably prefer never to strand myself too far from home or something, when there is running involved.

op, i can definitely see doing it all while you're in the place that is set up for doing it. i'm not really equipped to comment since i never 'do' cardio in any intentional way. i cycle pretty much everywhere so that lets me off the hook, but i suspect if it was on my weekly checklist then i'd be doing the same thing as you.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options

That's a really good point. Treadmill, you get bored and want to quit - you can. Walking outside, you get bored and want to quit - you have to walk back, first!

I get bored even thinking about a treadmill. Srsly, would rather have hot pokers applied to my feet. Outside, always, preferably on a bush trail, or by my local river (which is conveniently only a km walk from my house).
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    dress up warm and walk outside, but if you are ok with the cardio indoors it really doesnt mater
    atleast you are still working out.