I love days where I walk 8miles

Options
13»

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,193 Member
    Options
    I will also add ... I've been doing a step challenge at work for the last month, today is the last day. I'm averaging about 13500 steps a day and believe me, I'm not burning that many calories or I would have dropped significant weight this month. I'm figuring those steps have given me, on average, about 300-400 calories per day.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I will also add ... I've been doing a step challenge at work for the last month, today is the last day. I'm averaging about 13500 steps a day and believe me, I'm not burning that many calories or I would have dropped significant weight this month. I'm figuring those steps have given me, on average, about 300-400 calories per day.

Imagine how many people wed see out walking if we burned thousands upon thousands for minimal steps ....I seriously wish wed all be healthier AND able to eat all the noms
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,193 Member
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »

Imagine how many people wed see out walking if we burned thousands upon thousands for minimal steps ....I seriously wish wed all be healthier AND able to eat all the noms

Me too!!

300-400 calories doesn't even give me a decent sizes piece of cheesecake for my efforts.

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,990 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Yeah, sorry but there's no way anyone would burn 7k cals walking 8 flat miles.

I recently hiked 6.3 miles (14,785 steps) w/o a pack over very hilly terrain up to just over 1100 feet w/slopes varying between 6-15% and my hiking cal estimator rated that at 1196 cals.

My pedometer which assumes flat ground only estimated the same hike at 562 cals. Prorated for 8 miles, that would only be 714 cals, 1/10th of the 7000 cals claimed, which is probably closer to the truth.
  • maybyn
    maybyn Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Do listen to everyone here, OP. There is no way you burned 7k calories walking 8 miles.

Can you share the name/brand of activity tracker you used?

If you have just recently bought it, the tracker may take sometime to calibrate to your specific profile. I've read of cases where individuals have recorded extremely high calorie burns (like yours) when their trackers were brand new. Also, apart from your profile, you need to adjust your vo2 max number for more accuracy.

(FYI, the highest number of steps I had recorded was about 90k in a trail ultra before my garmin died on me and even then, I didn't reach 7k burn...)
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    tmoneyag99 wrote: »
    I'm 200lbs folks. When you are carrying the extra baggage you burn more kcals.

Regardless, I only ate a total calorie count for my BR (2300)

My last big hike day I weighed 246lb (I'm 5ft 2 ) was carrying my 20lb baby on my back, walked just over 27000 steps, 116 floors as per fit bit and had a calorie burn of just over 4200 for the entire day
  • ruqayyahsmum
    edited November 2017
    Options
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,939 Member
    Options
    20lb baby * bloody autocorrect
    Well, technically, I guess, auto-correct was probably correct! It's just that I was somewhat surprised by your work choice ;-)
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Well, technically, I guess, auto-correct was probably correct! It's just that I was somewhat surprised by your work choice ;-)

Haahaa yeah I was like "huh, makes sense, but that's an odd way to put it!" :D
  • ruqayyahsmum
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »

My tablet hates me, i had to log in from my phone just to edit my post so i dont look like a total moron
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    tmoneyag99 wrote: »
    I took 15000+ steps yesterday .... Per my tracker I burned 7k calories.

Um, either that was a typo or there is something very wrong with your tracker. When I used a fitbit to track my steps my most steps was when I walked for about 11 hours straight going 60,000 steps or about 30 miles. According to it I burned 5200 calories and that included my NEAT so really I burned probably like 3200 calories walking 30 miles. And I'm a 6' tall man.

2h2nmv8.jpg

15,000 steps for a 200 pound woman I would believe 700 calories, not 7,000
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    ^ still that
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    ryenday wrote: »
    lol Apple Watch gives me like 135 calories for 14000 steps max - and I think that is pretty accurate

That's way too low so at the extreme the other way.

I get about 400 calorie for 10k steps so 600 for 15k. On an 8-10 mile hardcore hike I can be looking at 1300. TDEE would total about 2400-3200 for the above two scenarios. Obviously this is dependent on weight but you'd have to be pretty darn heavy to hit a TDEE of 7k and as above if your weight allowed for it you wouldn't be able to walk 8 miles.

I think that would depend on what @ryenday's activity level is set at, right? I'm set to active and my Apple Watch gave me 143 extra calories when I hit 16,622 steps last month for a daily burn of 2647. A 15,570 step day got me an adjustment of 73 calories and a 2516 daily burn. (5'2" female, was somewhere around 175 lbs last month.) Admittedly I'm still new to the watch, but the scale has been playing along so far.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    If I was @tmoneyag99 , I'd also be making sure that my height and weight were correctly entered - an extra digit added to either could easily explain the issue.
  • Stationagentjules
    Stationagentjules Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    OP, great job racking up those miles to the game and getting in all those steps. Way to work more fitness into your world.