What is good about exercising in morning

Options
I was going to start exercising in morning daily on treadmill and bench press but I get lazy. What is good about exercising at 5 am

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Umm...

There is nothing inherently better about it than exercising at any other time of day. For some, it's the only time they have to exercise. For others, it's personal preference.
  • Barfly57
    Barfly57 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    It gives me a little energy buzz for the rest of the day, and gets it out of the way.
  • michellebirtleeds
    michellebirtleeds Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I like morning exercise for three reasons. First of all, it's something I've accomplished by 10am, and that makes me feel good about my day. Secondly, I (sometimes) feel like I have more energy all day long if I start the day with exercise. Finally, I'm not yet busy with any other tasks; I just wake up and work out.

There's nothing about morning exercise that really matters physiologically or metabolically. Exercise whenever it works for you.
  • krazy1sbk
    krazy1sbk Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Nothing? I'm not a morning person, and I would have to be up earlier than I'd like to actually get anything accomplished in the morning. I usually get on my elliptical after work so I can be sweaty at home with no rush!
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Personal preference.
    For me, getting it out of the way. A great way to start the day.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I'm a morning person, it gets my day off on the right foot. If you're not a morning person don't worry about it, work out when it suits your temperament and schedule.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    The best time for exercise is the time it fits your schedule such that you're most likely to do it on a consistent basis. For this reason I also workout early in the morning. It certainly took some getting used and can be hard this time of year to drag myself out of the nice warm bed. However, making it a habit to be up at 4:30 is what works best for me and my schedule and I've been able to be consistent for well over a year now. I read up quite a bit on research regarding optimal timing for different activities, and the trade off between performance gains and schedule inconvenience seems pretty minimal, especially if it's between working out at a sub-optimal time or not at all. I definitely notice a difference exercising in the afternoon vs. first thing in the morning in just feeling awake and alert and proverbially "firing on all cylinders" (the Mrs. says the same thing about her runs). That said, even though my workouts were better in the afternoon I'd typically feel rushed to get all my lifts in so I could shower and have dinner at a reasonable time and felt like I was lot getting enough evening down-time to really recharge before bed. I have also come to enjoy the feeling of getting a jump on my day, by the time I get to my office I've been up for a few hours and think that I'm more productive in the mornings as a result.

TL;DR, do what works best for you.
  • jaci66
    jaci66 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    It's just a preferred time for some and hated by others. I can workout any time - unless I'm working - then I still get some walking in. I find I actually have more energy after a workout in the mornings.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    For me it sets up my day nicely. It gives me tons of natural energy and it feels great to get in my workout before the day gets started.

Years ago when I first started working out in the mornings, it helped me to create healthy habits and it made me want to make better food choices at meal times too.

At that time it was too easy for things to come up during the day then I'd miss my workout for the day. Those early morning workouts made it so that there were no excuses because it was already done!

It took me a couple of weeks to make early morning workouts a habit though. If it's not for you, try another time during the day. Just get it done!
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Before I started commuting
    1) the gym is empty
    2) I've got nothing better to do while the world sleeps
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    It's not inherently better, just personal preference. I run in the mornings because I know I'm unlikely to do it in the evenings. I prefer to run after a light snack, rather than a day's worth of food. Also, it can be hard for me to sleep after an evening run.
  • IronDogJourney
    IronDogJourney Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    For me its best in the morning because I get it out of the way and feel better for the rest of the day. Also, I get busy with other things or a second workout in the afternoon.
  • cjdecz
    cjdecz Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Personally, I like to do cardio in the morning. It gives me an energy boost and leaves me feeling more awake and alert than the days I don't do morning cardio.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    bashore98 wrote: »
    I was going to start exercising in morning daily on treadmill and bench press but I get lazy. What is good about exercising at 5 am

There is no special benefit for working out in the AM vs any other part of the day. My exercise times are seasonal...I ride in the early morning in the summer as my alternative is riding in 100* plus temperatures. I typically ride in the early evening during the spring or fall as it's dark in the AM and very pleasant in the early evenings. In the winter I spend a bit more time in the weight room and nice weekend days aside, most of my riding is on my indoor trainer so I just do it whenever I can get it in.
  • Ashtoretet
    Ashtoretet Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    It's when my stomach is at its emptiest and then I can shower, do my hair, and be ready for the rest of the day.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Making a habit of doing it first thing in the morning really cuts through the "Oops, I'm too busy / ran out of time" BS.

Also, exercising in the morning means you don't have to shower 2x (assuming you're already a morning shower person).
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    Everything. If you are not working out in the morning, you're not really working out.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    anything's good about being awake at 5 am . . . if you like that kind of thing.

i have a mixed relationship with it. love it when i do it but it almost never happens. 5 am is a whole other world and a different country, but it doesn't seem like the one that my gene pool came from. kind of a 'nice place to visit but' thing.