Keto Diet

Options
Has anyone tried the Keto Diet plan. Any thoughts? I'm considering doing the 2week challenge. Thanks.

Replies

• toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I did it for a year and lost quite a bit of weight. But ultimately I ended up missing carbs too much, so I returned to my previous way of eating and regained the weight.

It's challenging to stick to, even with substitutions. I was regularly making keto cheesecakes, keto pizza, etc... and it still didn't scratch that carb itch.

There's no harm in trying it, but it's not a magic bullet that negates CICO. You still need to eat at a calorie deficit to lose weight. I personally found that keto made it easier to stick to a deficit, as it seemed to suppress my hunger quite well. But for me, it was not sustainable. Now I'm losing weight while eating the foods I enjoy.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Is 2 weeks going to get you close to your goal weight? Are you considering using keto for maintenance?

All weight loss is calories in vs. calories out, keto is no different. Do keto if you like to eat that way, don't do it because you think it's faster weight loss (because it's not). While the initial water weight loss from low carb can be impressive, that weight comes back when you start eating carbs again.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    The group linked above is a good source for keto info.

I've done keto for a few years. It is a way of eating for health or satiety. It is not really a short term diet unless you need to lose some water weight quickly. It takes weeks to a few months to get fully fat adapted, where your body prefers fat as its primary fuel source. A two week challenge will possibly tell you if it helps you with satiety. That's about it.

I switched to keto about 2.5 years ago to help me deal with insulin resistance and autoimmune issues. It helped me with my health issues and made it easier for me to lose weight. I stick with it for the health benefits and because it makes maintenance easier for me. YMMV

If you are only looking at it for 2 weeks, and not long term, I don't know if I would bother to start it.

Best wishes.