5'6 ladies, what is your goal/maintenance weight?

Options

Replies

• hjeppley
    hjeppley Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I am 48 and 5'6" and have lost about 25 lbs from a high of 157 lbs in July to my current weight of 132 lbs. My body fat % is still above 25% though so I'd like to get that down a bit more by losing another 5-10 lbs. Not sure if I can get that low though (to about 125 lbs), but I am going to try for at least a bit longer!
  • EliseTK1
    EliseTK1 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    I don't really find knowing others' weights at my height to be that helpful, because it is dependent on body shape, body composition, and personal preference. I'm currently 137, aiming for 134, and I won't go lower than that because I know from experience it doesn't suit me, but for others it may be just fine.

Right, I have a large frame http://www.myfooddiary.com/Resources/frame_size_calculator.asp and my family would do an intervention if I were in the 130s.

My wrist and elbows apparently don't match. I'm either medium or broad, not sure which. I knew my arms were shaped weird!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,843 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I don't really find knowing others' weights at my height to be that helpful, because it is dependent on body shape, body composition, and personal preference. I'm currently 137, aiming for 134, and I won't go lower than that because I know from experience it doesn't suit me, but for others it may be just fine.

Right, I have a large frame http://www.myfooddiary.com/Resources/frame_size_calculator.asp and my family would do an intervention if I were in the 130s.

LOL, no to that calculator.

Elbow says broad, wrist says medium. 34" hips and literally no breasts say BMI 20 (low normal) is just fine for me. In women, actual hip & breast measurements are more determinative of reasonable body weight than wrists or elbows. The problem is that we can't accurately measure hips or breasts when over-fat, so they're not predictive.

I'm still going to argue - for those without significant body dysmorphia - that the best guide is "you'll know it when you get close".

This is what BMI 20 (120 at 5'5") looks like on me. It may be thinner or fatter than any of you would prefer for yourself, but I think it would be hard to make a case that it looks dramatically unhealthy for a 60 y/o (about 18 months ago, BTW).

u5za8sqomq9k.jpg
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options

My wrist and elbows apparently don't match. I'm either medium or broad, not sure which. I knew my arms were shaped weird!

Mine didn't match either. Says I am either thin (wrist) or med (elbow). Not sure what they mean by thin but I doubt I'm it. I have fairly broad shoulders and hip bones. I do have comparatively small wrists though.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Elbow says broad, wrist says medium. 34" hips and literally no breasts say BMI 20 (low normal) is just fine for me. In women, actual hip & breast measurements are more determinative of reasonable body weight than wrists or elbows. The problem is that we can't accurately measure hips or breasts when over-fat, so they're not predictive.

I'm still going to argue - for those without significant body dysmorphia - that the best guide is "you'll know it when you get close".

This is what BMI 20 (120 at 5'5") looks like on me. It may be thinner or fatter than any of you would prefer for yourself, but I think it would be hard to make a case that it looks dramatically unhealthy for a 60 y/o (about 18 months ago, BTW).

u5za8sqomq9k.jpg

You look great to me and nice muscle definition there on your shoulders and arms.
  • Graelwyn75
    Options
    ugofatcat wrote: »
    5'6" would like to weight between 130-135. I am between 143-148 now.

My weight goal is based on the fact Kate Middleton is 5'9" and weighs 121...

What has your weight goal got to do with Kate Middleton's stats? She is 3 inches taller, is underweight if that weight is correct (I find it hard to believe her weight would be published anywhere) and it is not a good idea to base one's own weight goals on someone else's imo.
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6 and maintain between 137-145. I think I like my body best at 142 (oddly specific).
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I am 5 foot 5, 43 years old. Currently at around 166lbs. Goal weight is 140 (have been a UK size 8/10 at this weight) which am hoping to reach around July/August next year (am doing a recomp/surplus thing until end of January and hoping to do another when I reach the 140lb mark) Am planning to lose slowly. I lift heavy, cycle and walk as exercise.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I am 5'7. I have temporary goal weights (based on short term goals) but it is always changing. I am just working towards my goal physique, whatever weight I end up (if I had to guess, most likely around 5-8lbs higher than I am now)
  • DamienAngelica
    DamienAngelica Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I'm a touch under 5'7" and my goal is 140 lbs. I have about 7 pounds to go to get there.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,843 Member
    Options
    Graelwyn75 wrote: »

u5za8sqomq9k.jpg

You look great to me and nice muscle definition there on your shoulders and arms.

(Blush) Thanks.

Just hope everyone understands that my big point was that frame matters lots, but that frame "calculators" can mislead.

The frame-size weight recommendations based on wrist/elbow don't work for me, because those (along with feet/hands/head/shoulders) are big. We're all individuals, and will need to evaluate progress to find our own best weights.

As just one example, women my height with more an hourglass shape, rather than my narrow pelvis and flat chest, and/or with more muscle mass, will look great at 20-30+ pounds more than my 120. At 120, they'd look skeletal. At 140-150, I'm still over-fat.
  • tjones0411
    tjones0411 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6" and have been maintaining at 124-127 for the past several months. It's a good weight for me - the lean-ness allows my muscle to show, I like how my clothes fit, it's sustainable for me.
  • Graelwyn75
    Options
    Graelwyn75 wrote: »

u5za8sqomq9k.jpg

(Blush) Thanks.

Just hope everyone understands that my big point was that frame matters lots, but that frame "calculators" can mislead.

The frame-size weight recommendations based on wrist/elbow don't work for me, because those (along with feet/hands/head/shoulders) are big. We're all individuals, and will need to evaluate progress to find our own best weights.

As just one example, women my height with more an hourglass shape, rather than my narrow pelvis and flat chest, and/or with more muscle mass, will look great at 20-30+ pounds more than my 120. At 120, they'd look skeletal. At 140-150, I'm still over-fat.

Yeah, I am a really odd shape. I have always had a fairly flat chest and small wrists, but I have fairly broad shoulder, broad ribcage and average hips so I guess I am currently well below my optimal weight at 123 Ibs and just under 5'10. It is something I am working on, my current weight fixated mindset, lol. It is a strange thing, how very different everyone is. There are females, same height as me, weigh more, who can easily fit a USA size 0-2. I only fit those sizes at this sort of weight. It is very aggravating to me.
  • Famof72015
    Famof72015 Posts: 393 Member
    Options

u5za8sqomq9k.jpg

What is the measurements for elbow and wrist? Never heard of that

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,692 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6" and age 60. When I lost weight several years ago I got down to 135 and was happy. I looked good and felt good. Unfortunately, I gained back about 40 pounds over the next few years thanks to a lot of travel and eating out. When I lost weight the next time (7 years ago) I hit 135 and kept going. I maintained at 125- 131 for several years. The lower end wasn't really sustainable, because I love to eat so the pounds always crept back. I started running and it was easy to eat what I wanted and keep a steady weight. Then two years ago we did a couple of long trips where I did less exercise and I gained several pounds, so I came to MFP and decided that I wanted to get back to 131 and this time stay there. When i reached 131 I began what I thought was maintenance level calories, but thanks to the extra metabolic burn from my running, I continued to lose. A year after joining MFP, I'm currently 121, which was my high school/college weight. TBH, I don't know how I look. My husband thinks I'm too thin (but he loved me at 177) and I see a skinny upper body, muscular legs and fat thighs with more jiggle than I'd like. What I see in the mirror and what photos show isn't at all the same. I'm happy with what my body can do, but not necessarily with how it looks.
  • Marcie9278
    Marcie9278 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6 and I'm at 137 now. My first goal is 135 and once I get there someday....weight loss has been excruciatingly slow, I'll reassess whether I want to go to 130. I think I will just to have 5 lbs to play with.
  • Nomseys
    Nomseys Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I’m 26 and am 5’6. I am naturally small framed and gained 40ish lbs in my first year of marriage (last year) and am getting back down to 120-130.
  • blakexx3
    blakexx3 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I’m 5’6 and currently between 132 and 135 lbs. My lowest weight was 115 and I got many “concerned” comments. I personally like when I’m between 120-125.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    When I was in my 30s 130 was my happy place. I weighed 127 at the end of college. And got to 130 in my 30s. At 52, I'm fine with 135. (at 5'6.5")
  • Victoria_N88
    Victoria_N88 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello!
    I'm 5'6 and my goal is approximately 170lbs. I’m at 250lbs right now, so we’ll just see how it goes. My first goal is to get down to 200 and then go from there. My coworker recommend I try MFP, she says that it has helped her. I'm just ready to shed the extra pounds and get to a healthier me.