Salt in food?

Options
Hi guys, i haven't posted here in a while.
So today i had a spring season soup which is a vegetables soup (maggi) and it was like 1 litre of that soup.
So i checked the nutrition facts of that soup amd it showed 35 grams carbs, 1.6 fat and protien like 3 grams.
But it didn't show the sodium so i cooked that soup and had the whole thing (1 litre).
So after i finished i checked the barcode on MFP and it was a shock cause it had 3,100 mg of soduim which should be my whole daily intake of soduim. So i dunno is that considered as alot if i am drinking more water or what?
Thanks

Replies

• nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Unless you've been told to limit your sodium, you shouldn't have any problems. Drink a little extra water and if you step on the scale tomorrow, be prepared for the possibility that it will be up, but know that it doesn't reflect weight gain unless you have exceeded your calorie allotment.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    People worry overly much about salt in their diet. If you don’t have a medical reason to worry about it, just focus on eating a well-balanced diet and a reasonable number of calories, and you’ll be fine. Most of us could do with more fresh fruits and veggies, but don’t stress out about the occasional sodium bomb.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    That is a lot for one meal. If it's more than usual you might have some water weight gain but it's temporary. But, it's just one meal. It's nothing to worry about.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    It is a lot for one meal.
    Do you track your sodium regularly? What do you usually consume in a day? Is this really high for you?
    If you usually eat lower sodium you are probably going to notice more of a difference than if this is your normal sodium consumption.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,926 Member
    Options
    Tariq_1997 wrote: »
    So today i had a spring season soup which is a vegetables soup (maggi) and it was like 1 litre of that soup.
    So i checked the nutrition facts of that soup amd it showed 35 grams carbs, 1.6 fat and protien like 3 grams.
    But it didn't show the sodium so i cooked that soup and had the whole thing (1 litre).
    So after i finished i checked the barcode on MFP and it was a shock cause it had 3,100 mg of soduim which should be my whole daily intake of soduim. So i dunno is that considered as alot if i am drinking more water or what?
    Thanks

So the sodium content was in the MFP database but not on your container? It's not necessarily correct in the db.

One serving of my Pad Se Ew has 2,629 g of sodium and is noticeably salty from the oyster sauce, fish sauce, and soy sauce. I find it hard to believe yours has more unless it tasted incredibly salty to you.

That said, I don't worry about dietary sodium and have exchanged that and sugar for fiber and iron, which are more useful for me to track.
  • ZoneFive
    ZoneFive Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Salt (sodium) is essential for life. And the weight you gain from eating large amounts is water weight, which goes away in a few days. If you don't have a medical issue with sodium, you can eat reasonable amounts.

If you have a package that states the amount of sodium in a serving, you might want to read that before you eat the serving.
  • Tariq_1997
    Tariq_1997 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Thanks

So the sodium content was in the MFP database but not on your container? It's not necessarily correct in the db.

One serving of my Pad Se Ew has 2,629 g of sodium and is noticeably salty from the oyster sauce, fish sauce, and soy sauce. I find it hard to believe yours has more unless it tasted incredibly salty to you.

That said, I don't worry about dietary sodium and have exchanged that and sugar for fiber and iron, which are more useful for me to track.
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Thanks

No actually it didn't taste salty, it was pretty good.
    I scaned the barcode and showed the sodium
  • Tariq_1997
    Tariq_1997 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    ZoneFive wrote: »
    Salt (sodium) is essential for life. And the weight you gain from eating large amounts is water weight, which goes away in a few days. If you don't have a medical issue with sodium, you can eat reasonable amounts.

If you have a package that states the amount of sodium in a serving, you might want to read that before you eat the serving.

I have no issues with salt but i usually keep my daily intake between 1500-2000 mg so i felt like this is wrong having 3100 mg that's why i asked
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    ZoneFive wrote: »

I have no issues with salt but i usually keep my daily intake between 1500-2000 mg so i felt like this is wrong having 3100 mg that's why i asked

It's fine and you are fine. Wouldn't worry about it at all.
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    2weeks ago I decreased my sodium intake by eliminating cold cuts (I was eating 2 sandwiches from a local place each week) and stopped adding salt to my food. Changed my macro on mfp to 1500. The difference in just a week was incredible. No more bloating! Occasionally now I'll eat something with a lot of sodium and as others have said if it is just one Meal or one day it's not a big deal. I'm glad to be eating less sodium overall. I don't miss the taste and it's having positive effects. My blood pressure is 130/80 or 120/80 which is kind of high for me. 10-15 years ago I remember it being lower. (Sodium and weight gain!)