Walking indoors = Boring.

Options
With winter nigh, cold temps have forced me indoors for my lunch walks. The problem is that walking inside bores me to death. (I still do it, I'm just achingly bored while I do it.)

Is there any way to make it less boring or do I have months of boredom to look forward to until the weather turns decent again?

Replies

• jaycete
    jaycete Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Listening to music or podcasts helps me. Some times I talk to people or text. If you can manage it without falling over, maybe try watching tv on a phone/tablet or reading a book?
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Options
    I love walking indoors. Usually I listen to an audiobook; sometimes music or a podcast.

You can also use the time to pray or meditate or play "mental games".

Can you enlist someone to walk with you?

Good luck! :)
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I usually listen to a podcast but I also do zombies run when listening to music. The missions make a nice change to just walking and listening to music.
  • WanderingRivers
    WanderingRivers Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Can you not dress for the conditions and walk outside still?

My arthritis flares with the cold so I have to work around that. Thus going from walking outdoors to walking indoors.
  • WanderingRivers
    Options
    SaraKim17 wrote: »
    I love walking indoors. Usually I listen to an audiobook; sometimes music or a podcast.

I don't know anyone in my office well enough since I'm the new kid.

Tried meditation to no avail. Can't get the brain to shut the heck up.
  • WanderingRivers
    Options
    capaul42 wrote: »
    I usually listen to a podcast but I also do zombies run when listening to music. The missions make a nice change to just walking and listening to music.

Zombies Run?
  • Rosemary7391
    Rosemary7391 Posts: 232 Member
    Options

My arthritis flares with the cold so I have to work around that. Thus going from walking outdoors to walking indoors.

But you won't be cold if you dress appropriately...? Or am I being stupid? I have a lovely pair of fleece lined trousers on today, very warm indeed...
  • WanderingRivers
    Options

But you won't be cold if you dress appropriately...? Or am I being stupid? I have a lovely pair of fleece lined trousers on today, very warm indeed...

For me, being out in the cold makes the pain worse. I could look like that kid from A Christmas Story and still hurt from the cold.

Thus me transferring my walks from outdoors to in.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    SaraKim17 wrote: »

I don't know anyone in my office well enough since I'm the new kid.

Tried meditation to no avail. Can't get the brain to shut the heck up.

Binge watch Netflix or podcast/audio book
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Options

Zombies Run?

Oh its cool.
    I just mentioned it here:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10616088/zombies-run-app-join-me#latest

Very motivational too!
  • rdevol
    rdevol Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Try stepping out of your comfort zone - throw out a general question at work asking if anyone is interested in walking at lunch (or whenever). You might be surprised and get some responses, and make some new friends in the process. I find walking inside much more tolerable when I have a friend to chat with. It feels like I'm killing two birds with one stone - exercising and catching up with a friend!

If that doesn't work out, do you have a "NextDoor" website for your neighborhood? It's kind of like a mini-Facebook just for people in your neighborhood. People post when they lose/find pets, suspicious activity, local events, and just about anything. You could throw out a post and ask if anyone in your neighborhood is interested in walking indoors with you. Might be worth a shot - good luck!
  • WanderingRivers
    Options

Zombies Run?

Oh its cool.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10616088/zombies-run-app-join-me#latest

Very motivational too!

Is it a free app or is it one of those where they give you a taste then hide the rest behind a pay wall?
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    I've watched the entirety of Breaking Bad walking inside. I have a few TV shows that I only watch on the treadmill.
  • WanderingRivers
    Options
    rdevol wrote: »
    Try stepping out of your comfort zone - throw out a general question at work asking if anyone is interested in walking at lunch (or whenever). You might be surprised and get some responses, and make some new friends in the process. I find walking inside much more tolerable when I have a friend to chat with. It feels like I'm killing two birds with one stone - exercising and catching up with a friend!

If that doesn't work out, do you have a "NextDoor" website for your neighborhood? It's kind of like a mini-Facebook just for people in your neighborhood. People post when they lose/find pets, suspicious activity, local events, and just about anything. You could throw out a post and ask if anyone in your neighborhood is interested in walking indoors with you. Might be worth a shot - good luck!

IDK about a NextDoor site. The closest indoor spot to walk to my house is 45 minutes by foot. (I don't drive so I rely on others to chauffer me about) its why I confine walks to my work lunch hr and have been doing laps in the halls of the building I work in.
  • WanderingRivers
    Options
    I've watched the entirety of Breaking Bad walking inside. I have a few TV shows that I only watch on the treadmill.

I don't have a treadmill.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I walk outside no matter what. minus 30 and a blizzard even makes it more fun.
  • motheroftwins95
    motheroftwins95 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I also walk during my lunch hour at the office. Listening to music, whatever type you enjoy, is a must!!! I forgot my Ipod a couple of times and the hour seemed endless. The music sometimes helps me pick up the pace and add a few dance moves, lol.
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Options

Zombies Run?

Oh its cool.

Very motivational too!

Is it a free app or is it one of those where they give you a taste then hide the rest behind a pay wall?

I am being told "it's free but you upgrade to have episodes released sooner." Sorry I am still new to it and learning but I have done the first 2 episodes for 2 days in a row and not needed money yet.
  • NoxeemaJackson
    NoxeemaJackson Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Podcasts!!!
    They have them for every sort of thing...my favorite regular ones are Moth Radio and This American Life.
    I also liked the 1st season of Serial, and a pod series called Dirty John and S-Town.