Walking indoors = Boring.

Options
124»

Replies

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »
    So far, the only thing that appears to be possible would be Zombies Run but I also have monetary limitations so I gravitate to anything free and shy from stuff that costs money.

A lot of the other suggestions would be great if I had access to a gym or exercise machines but I have neither. My physical limitations also keep me from doing certain things. I apologize if I seem like a negative nancy but I have a narrow section of what I can do and the things I cannot occupy a larger section.

Why can't you do audiobooks? Free app with a library card and you have access to your entire library's circulation of them, it's wonderful.

No library card. They still claim I owe money for things I returned. As such, library is off limits for me. Unless anyone has links for me to illegally dl some.

Not illegal but free audiobooks on librivox. https://www.librivox.org
    Check out Spotify. The free version has lots of podcasts as well as music. There are some storytelling podcasts like Myths & Legends, Fictional or LeVar Burton Reads.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I have a little shelf set up in front of my treadmill, and my iPad lives on it. I cannot do five minutes on a treadmill without something visual to occupy me. Music alone doesn't cut it. Currently watching Dexter while I run.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking the Zombie run app is not for you, as it does force you to run and it sounds like you can't. Walking with a podcast seems like the best idea. You can find free ones.

For stuff you can do at home without buying anything, look at https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I have a little shelf set up in front of my treadmill, and my iPad lives on it. I cannot do five minutes on a treadmill without something visual to occupy me. Music alone doesn't cut it. Currently watching Dexter while I run.

I broke a tablet doing this.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

I broke a tablet doing this.

Let me introduce you to my friend... His name is Otter... Otter Box.
  • rdevol
    rdevol Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Your spouse could get a library card and you could use his number.
  • mgotto1997
    mgotto1997 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    My city has skywalks that connect many buildings so that really helps a lot! I love it.
  • madwells1
    madwells1 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I love walking indoors and outdoors.

When I do my 5 mile walk/run on the treadmill, I couldn't be more happy because it gives me time to myself. I am probably the odd person here because most people find it boring. Note, I used to get bored, but now I look at it as a time to reflect....and not think about anything. Changing my mind set helped a lot as I don't look at my time walking indoors on the treadmill as work--but more so 'me time'.

I put in my noise canceling headphones, and voila, I am transported to my own happy place with music and no other distractions.

As others have said, find something you like, whether it's a podcast, music, or even try learning a language. You'd be surprised how much of a new language you can learn just by listening to it daily. Who cares if you randomly say a word out loud that makes no sense to anyone around you. :wink:
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    So far, the only thing that appears to be possible would be Zombies Run but I also have monetary limitations so I gravitate to anything free and shy from stuff that costs money.

A lot of the other suggestions would be great if I had access to a gym or exercise machines but I have neither. My physical limitations also keep me from doing certain things. I apologize if I seem like a negative nancy but I have a narrow section of what I can do and the things I cannot occupy a larger section.

Most podcasts are free (assuming you have something to play them on). Can be much more educational than Zombies Run.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I'm in Toronto, and while I still commute to work on foot in this weather, I know the -20s are around the corner. I have a small gym at work where I walk on my lunch on a treadmill and I just go slower so I can scroll FB and text while I do it. Before I know it 30 minutes and 3500 steps have passed and I did was I was going to do in the lunchroom anyway.
  • WanderingRivers
    WanderingRivers Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    amtyrell wrote: »
    Walk around the mall with the goal of massive bargain hunting???

Mall is 45 minutes by foot. I have no driver's licence. My spouse chauffers me anywhere so the only place I go is work and back or to the grocery. Other that, I am bound to the house.

How do you get to work?

My spouse drives me. So he is already behind the wheel at least 2 hrs a day to take me to work. I don't go anywhere else unless I go by foot or someone offers me a lift.