Apple Cider Vinegar

Options

Replies

• iamthemotherofdogs
    iamthemotherofdogs Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I drink ACV, off and on - quick toss from a shot glass. I think it's kinda tasty, but I'm a Known Weirdo. I drink it because there's some indication it can help seniors with stomach acid deficiencies (I'm 62, with a slight tendency toward IBS-C), because I think food-based probiotics may prove to be beneficial, and - maybe most importantly - because I don't see how it's gonna hurt me.

During my weight loss, I drank it daily for weeks/months, and also didn't drink it for weeks/months. Zero difference in weight loss rate, between the two time periods.

If you're drinking it for weight loss, and don't enjoy it, I strongly recommend stopping. Life is too short to eat/drink icky stuff, when there's so much tasty/healthy stuff out there.

Just granny's opinion, through.

I regularly CRAVE vinegar.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    cerc1990 wrote: »
    malibu927 wrote: »
    What health benefits are you looking for from it? Because if it's for weight loss, ACV will do nothing.

I don't care about weight loss. It's for skin, digestion, etc. My mother in law started drinking it months ago, and has had good results. Has even helped with her acid reflux.

Well, as for reflux - it's for those with LOW stomach acid. Drink it with meals and it can aid digestion. I have a coworker who drinks lemonade with her meals....it's still acidic but tastes good.

ACV is good for certain skin irritations.....you APPLY it to the skin, you don't ingest it.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Man... ACV won't catch any of my fruit flies haha... it attracts them to it but they wont drown in it.. so i have to wait for them all to gather at the buffet and then take a spray bottle full of water and spray them all so they can't fly and then squish them with paper towel. LOL

Worked for me. I taped a coffee filter to the top of a glass partially filled with ACV and poked a couple of holes in the filter. Worked well and didn't have to waste red wine.
  • HellYeahItsKriss
    HellYeahItsKriss Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Man... ACV won't catch any of my fruit flies haha... it attracts them to it but they wont drown in it.. so i have to wait for them all to gather at the buffet and then take a spray bottle full of water and spray them all so they can't fly and then squish them with paper towel. LOL

Worked for me. I taped a coffee filter to the top of a glass partially filled with ACV and poked a couple of holes in the filter. Worked well and didn't have to waste red wine.

Yeah it worked for the boyfriend too... I just don't have any luck for anything lol i could play mini golf with 20 holes at the end of a straight line and i'd miss every hole anyway
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    add a drop or two of dish soap to your ACV fruit fly trap. . reduces surface tension and they sink and drown.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    cerc1990 wrote: »
    Do you still get the same health benefits from apple cider vinegar if you drink it with juice

Yep. Nothing.

:laugh: :laugh:
  • rhiawiz57
    rhiawiz57 Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I do not know why so many people think drinking this helps with anything other than upsetting one's stomach. It does nothing!! Just like Garcinia Cambogia. Lol.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    and i'd miss every hole anyway

That's what she said
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    You know what ACV and plain old white vinegar are documented to be truly beneficial for?

Getting rid of 'that smell' of dog (or cat, even) anal sac contents after you (or they) express them, off of them or you. Fact. Just apply to a gauze square/paper towel and wipe their tushy and/or rinse your hands with after washing them with soap and water.
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    blambo61 wrote: »
    the
    I've knocked down gout attacks with it. When metabolized it has an alkalizing effect on the body.

No it doesn't. Your body's pH is far too well-regulated to be that easily pushed off, and if you did change your body's pH one way or the other too much (and it doesn't take much in terms of pH numbers) you'd get sick real fast.

There is a lot of room to change pH. The pH scale is a logarithmic scale. The livable range is about 7.35 to 7.45. On a non logarithmic scale that is a difference of: (10^7.35)/(10^7.35)=1.25 or 25%.

You still can't alter your body's pH unless you do something extreme to force it. Your body has a system that is meant to prevent it. Drink all the ACV you like, you'll likely either get sick of the taste or experience some other less threatening effect before it would have an effect on your body's pH. There's no need for the average person to mess with it anyway, the so-called "benefits" of alkalizing your body are all bogus.

I don't know how much the ACV can affect body alkalinity but if the livable range is +/- 12.5% then the feedback mechanism allows it to be in that range somewhat. This paper seems to refute your claim.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3195546/
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    the
    I've knocked down gout attacks with it. When metabolized it has an alkalizing effect on the body.

No it doesn't. Your body's pH is far too well-regulated to be that easily pushed off, and if you did change your body's pH one way or the other too much (and it doesn't take much in terms of pH numbers) you'd get sick real fast.

There is a lot of room to change pH. The pH scale is a logarithmic scale. The livable range is about 7.35 to 7.45. On a non logarithmic scale that is a difference of: (10^7.35)/(10^7.35)=1.25 or 25%.

(10^7.45)/(10^7.35) = 1.25 or 25%.