A gastric band company to me put weight ON!

Options
I have a BMI of 29 and a binge eating disorder. With MFP I have lost 16 lbs. I thought I could get a GB at BMI of 28 or above but I was wrong. I have just phoned a really reputable weight loss surgery firm in the UK to enquire about a band. I was told to stop dieting and gain a stone and then book an appointment for surgery. Personally I am really angry about this. I find it really unethical.

Replies

• Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Why do you want a GB?
  • recoveryjunky
    recoveryjunky Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I'm really sorry to say this (and it has to be different from the UK to the US) but at a 29 BMI you're hardly overweight, if at all (I HATE the BMI scale). Here you have to have a BMI of 40 or be 100+lbs overweight or have serious complications because of weight to be considered for the surgery. Also, if you REALLY want to have wl surgery, PLEASE do not consider the BG. It has BY FAR the most complications and it only works about 1/3 of the time.
  • rosiecbolton
    rosiecbolton Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I am desperate to stop bingeing and lose weight. I am losing weight with MFP but very slowly. I lose for 2 or 3 days then go on 2 day long binges. It is really getting me down.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    What, because you discovered (essentially) that you could lose the weight on your own, and the company said you didn't need them unless you gained to the point of obesity, you find them unethical?

I started out a BMI of 33, currently a BMI of 26.3 after 6-ish months of work. Definitely prefer that to having invasive surgery and forcibly altering my life forever, not allowing me any leeway on holidays and so forth! I urge you to continue whatever you've been doing to lose 16 pounds healthily and see where it takes you.
  • recoveryjunky
    Options
    OK I reread the op and have something else:
    WLS is NOT for people with binge eating disorders!!! You could burst your stomach open or make your GB move (one of the complications...).
    I'm no doctor but I'd suggest a psychiatrist before WLS
  • rosiecbolton
    Options
    It is really difficult for me because I have NEVER had a healthy relationship with food. From an early age my mum called me a fat cow leading me to be anorexic for years. Suddenly the anorexia stopped and the bingeing started. I really need psychological help. Am thinking of going to overeaters anonymous.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    You do realize the binging is a mental thing and even after the band you are going to have to deal with your binging addiction....
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Have you considered seeing someone who specializes in eating disorders? At BMI 29 you aren't dangerously overweight. But binge eating is a sign that there are other problems going on in your life.

Isn't it preferable to cure your problem without surgery? Try talking to someone about curing your eating disorder without all the pain and risk of surgery (and one that doesn't even work, at that).
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    OK I reread the op and have something else:
    WLS is NOT for people with binge eating disorders!!! You could burst your stomach open or make your GB move (one of the complications...).
    I'm no doctor but I'd suggest a psychiatrist before WLS

My thoughts exactly. GP is only for extreme cases with health complications related to the extra weight. It's a very serious operation.
    It won't help you with your binges.

You should talk about it with a doctor..
  • recoveryjunky
    Options
    Rosie: PLEASE do the Overeaters group! And get some help from your doctor. WLS is a very serious thing, not to be messed with lightly. And if you seriously think you have a binging disorder, it could kill you. Please consider everything before you commit to WLS. Please.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Step 1 - See a psychologist
    Step 2 - Eliminate your trick foods from your house or even around you
    Step 3 - Exercise and keep busy so you don't put yourself around trigger foods.

Really, do you want to risk health issue for a surgery that isn't required or even beneficial for you?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    You do realize the binging is a mental thing and even after the band you are going to have to deal with your binging addiction....

^This. OP, you do understand that even if you were to get the band, you'd still have to learn to stop binging and change your habits, right? The band isn't a magical device that ensures success and maintaining of the success. There is a large fail percentage because people thought this was so.
  • rosiecbolton
    Options
    The weird thing is I was a drug addict for years and this bingeing only started when I quit drugs. It is like I transferred one addicition to another. I have just bought Overcoming Binge Eating on Amazon. Hopefully when that arrives it will help me. I am not sure a band would help me as I would probably just binge on slider foods
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    You need to reteach yourself how to eat properly and that starts with seeing a doctor and having them help you into a healthy relationship with food and then assisting you in making good decisions when it comes to daily diet for overall health.

Please see a doctor and also consult with a registered dietician that has a full degree and possibly a masters to ensure they have the education to help you.
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I have a friend in the US who put on 20 pounds to meet the criteria for gastric bypass. Sad that it came to that. I mean, that she had to gain weight to get the help she righteously needed. (She had the surgery and is doing very well, incidentally)

But here's my take on your situation. If you truly have a diagnosed binge eating disorder, you are not a candidate for banding or gastric bypass, and in the US you'd never pass the psych portion because of this. The very nature of a binge eating disorder makes you having either procedure extremely dangerous. If you binge after either procedure you could do extensive internal damage.

I am an advocate of WLS where it's appropriate. I have a number of friends who used it to give them the jumpstart they needed to make a lifestyle change. That's great. But the change you need to make is more than just lifestyle to move past your BED. TRUST ME ON THIS.
  • 4_Lisa
    4_Lisa Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    It is really difficult for me because I have NEVER had a healthy relationship with food. From an early age my mum called me a fat cow leading me to be anorexic for years. Suddenly the anorexia stopped and the bingeing started. I really need psychological help. Am thinking of going to overeaters anonymous.

I think you nailed it on that one. You don't need a band, you need psychological help. Get that straightened out first. A band isn't going to stop you from binge eating.
  • newmanel
    newmanel Posts: 61 Member
    Options

You hit the nail on the head. The problem is psychological. So the treatment must be psychological, as well.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Surgery won't fix your mental issues. You obviously have an addictive personality and being deprived of the availability of your current addiction will just lead to you finding a new one. Deal with your longstanding mental issues before deciding on a quick fix of the symptom.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    The weird thing is I was a drug addict for years and this bingeing only started when I quit drugs. It is like I transferred one addicition to another. I have just bought Overcoming Binge Eating on Amazon. Hopefully when that arrives it will help me. I am not sure a band would help me as I would probably just binge on slider foods

You learn this when you go through any program to help you through an addiction. You never get rid of an addiction, you replace one addiction with another (hopefully one that is more healthy).... I had an addiction to food and ate myself to 560 lbs. but I went through the 12 step program knowing from the start if I couldn't overcome my addiction to food then I would fail over and over again..
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    a band won't fix the eating disorder, so it won't fix your weight problems- you are trying to do it all backwards, you need to fix those underlying issues first because getting the band when they are not fixed will result in your overeating after surgery which will make you in pain, sick, miserable, and in time you will end up overweight again-- your eating is psychologically driven, not hunger driven so a band won't help in the long term-- good luck with your journey