What foods do you hate but you wish you didn't?

Replies

• joemac1988
    joemac1988 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Pineapple. Has a ton of benefits and I just am not a fan.
  • crabbybrianna
    crabbybrianna Posts: 344 Member
    Cilantro. It’s in so many foods that would be great to eat but it always completely ruins it for me.
  • crazykatlady820
    crazykatlady820 Posts: 301 Member
    I wish I didn't hate eggs and tuna because they seem so versatile and easy to prepare.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited November 2017
    I don't HATE any food except celery, heart of palm, artichokes and olives. And omelets make me gag now.

I do wish I liked veggies more though.]

But yeah, omelets in the morning and tuna would be great. The only way I like tuna is raw.
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Coriander....tastes like soap

Me too, it's genetic!

Wish I liked avocados and bananas. My family love them both but I find them equally disgusting!

• nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

It's often done poorly, but Indian preparations turned me around. Also baba ganoush, and I don't really mind a lasagna with eggplant. Also, I tend to enjoy Japanese eggplants, I think they cook better. That I can enjoy just sauteed more easily.

I forgot about baba ganoush. I actually do like that. Maybe there's hope! Japanese eggplants, are those the tiny round ones? I've seen them at the market.
    I'm super picky about bread. I hate most supermarket mass market packaged types, weird texture thing (especially white bread, but not only, we got whole grain when I was a kid and I didn't care for it either, although I thought it was less bad). This was a problem when I was a kid, but no longer is at all, I can just eat bread I like (although I tend only eat it occasionally). I'd occasionally have fresh-baked bread, and I loved that, and I liked some restaurant stuff and rolls. (There is way more bread that I like commonly available now compared to when I was a kid.)

I can eat pretty much any bread, but I have a weird thing about "like with like". I can't eat delicious fillings on terrible bread. If I eat a lovely avocado on cheap white bread I just feel sad like I wasted the avocado. If I bake my 100% whole wheat delicious bread, I can eat it with natural peanut butter, but not the cheap pb with weird oils and sugars. But I can eat a Boca burger on a cheap white hamburger bun. I love red pepper hummus as a bread topping, but again, not on flimsy white bread. On the other hand, when I ate cheese, I'd happily eat the plastic cheese on flimsy white bread with spicy mustard and call that a meal. I think it's a combination of weird texture and flavor thing, like the bread and the fillings need to be able to stand up to each other.

• mom2colbyj
    mom2colbyj Posts: 119 Member
    ttreit wrote: »
    Mustard and cabbage.

I love spicy foods and mustard is a calorie friendly condiment - but I LOATHE it.
    Cabbage because it's calorie friendly and a lot of people I know cook it frequently, so I encounter it frequently, and I really really don't like it. Also then I might like brussel sprouts.

I love cabbage but detest brussel sprouts with every fiber of my being. I've tried them every which way possible and it's a firm no every single time. One of the few vegetables I just don't like and it makes me sad.
  • emcclure013
    emcclure013 Posts: 231 Member
    Mushrooms
    Raw fish (I LOVE sushi, but can only handle very small amounts of raw fish - it's a texture thing)
    Eggplant
    Cucumbers
    Raw Onion
    Spinach

I always say I'm not a picky person, but when it comes to these few I don't budge... I wish I enjoyed them, but I just don't at all!
  • Spiderpug
    Spiderpug Posts: 159 Member
    Bananas
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Tuna for me, too. I loved it as a kid, like between the ages of 4-6ish, but then I went to my half sister's house and had a bad tin and I was completely put off. I haven't even tried it since. The smell is enough to put me off. Maybe sometime soon I'll try again. I also wish I liked salad more. I can only have it drenched in balsamic vinegar.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    edited November 2017
    sweet potatoes
    turkey
    cooked spinach
    various different types of fish/seafood, I like some, but don't like a lot of it
    eggs (I'll eat some types but don't like most types)
    pie

That said...I also really HATED
    water, brussel sprouts, chicken, plain yogurt, berries and a lot of other stuff...that I now eat and drink and enjoy on a regular basic and many of these things I now love and crave. Hmmmmm....maybe I'll have some sweet potatoes for dinner--"maybe"
    <3o:)<3
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »
    TrishSeren wrote: »
    I've tried so hard to like porridge but I just can't do it. The texture is just blurgh for me.
    Also don't like
    Peanut butter
    Greek yoghurt
    Protein shakes
    Smoothies

Personally, I'm quite comfortable with the fact that I can't eat peanut butter (intolerance) and that I find that Greek yoghurt has the texture of lard. My life is just fine without either ... neither are necessary.

As for protein shakes and smoothies ... never had either, so I don't know what I'm missing. But I've made it to 50 without them, so I'm sure I can continue to live without them.

One thing I do wish I liked (once in a while) is peppers. Green peppers are horrible ... they leave me with so much indigestion and feeling really sick. Yellow and red aren't quite as bad, but they aren't much better. Unfortunately so many restaurants include them on salads, and sometimes include a massive quantity of them. I feel bad sometimes when I pick them all off and leave them in a pile on the edge of the plate. Somebody went to all the trouble of cutting them up and putting them on my salad ... and I just can't eat them unless I want to feel awful the rest of the day.

I don't like mushrooms and most sea food either, but so far I've managed to live without them.

Yup. Used to hate onions too but I am starting to detest them less I think.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Thankfully I'm not too picky, but there are a few things that I can't handle.

1. Solid butter - like a layer of butter on a cold sandwich or whatever. It needs to be 100% melted. I can't deal with little white unmelted globs on my toast or pancakes.

2. Mushrooms. Shiitake mushrooms in Japanese soups are okay, but I don't like the texture of any other types. It's unfortunate because my fiance loves mushrooms but I do the cooking and never ever buy them!

3. Mustard. I don't like having to send back burgers/hot dogs that have mustard on them but sometimes mistakes are made and it's such a strong flavour that I can't even eat it if its scraped off.

4. Raw tomato. I love it cooked, but raw is bleck. Unless it's diced thin and in a strong dish like guacamole.

I used to LOVE tuna sandwiches then developed an aversion to tuna. I'm trying to force myself to eat it again!
  • onematch
    onematch Posts: 241 Member
    Tofu. Texture is nasty.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Quinoa, carrots and cilantro. YUCK!
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    I'm 52 and a picky eater. I don't like a lot of veggies and a lot of what a health food store will sell. My wife lives off of this stuff. But I'm okay with all of that.

For me, it's eggs. I can't stand the smell or taste of them. The make me gag. And I really wish they didn't. Besides being good protein, they are so frikken easy to deal with. Toss them in the pan once the bacon is cooked, mix them with a little milk and nuke em, scramble them with cheese. All kinds of quick option that I would like to enjoy but I'd toss them and whatever I had for my last meal.

I really do wish I liked eggs.
  • Trex5009
    Trex5009 Posts: 171 Member
    Onions and mushrooms. They're in most good meals and I struggle to take them out because I can't stand to eat them lol. I also tried broccoli several times but just the smell of it pushes me away
  • Avocado and yogurt. They seem like great quick foods to get some fats and proteins but I just can't. I don't loathe avocado, it's just kind of "meh" for me, and yogurt... I just can't do it. I gag every time.
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    I'd say canned tuna. Only because it would be an easy protein source. And maybe cooked carrots, since it seems they are in everything these days and I have to pick them out.

But my diet is vastly varied, so really, I can't complain.