What exercise that burns a lot of calories ?

Options

Replies

• NatashaMaurice
    NatashaMaurice Posts: 11 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    Hi there. I just started with 4 days streak. Im here to ask which exercise tht burns a lot of calories because i've been working out for an hour a day but the calories tht has been burnt was only equal to 3 slices of pizza. Any idea ? Thank you so much and have a good day :)

Yea, that's probably about right for most exercise. I've heard that things like XC skiing and rowing are some of the biggest calorie burners on average, but ultimately exercise doesn't burn as many cals as most people would like. I don't think you'll do much better than 3 pieces of pizza for an hour's workout, regardless of what exercise you're doing.

Im afraid tht there is no snow in my country for skiing
  • Spencerport
    Spencerport Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Stand Up Paddleboarding is a great way to burn calories! I wear a heart rate monitor and I can easily burn 1000+ calories in 2 hours. Its a total body workout.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    With exercise, I would focus on finding something that you enjoy and helps you meet your fitness goals, not just burning the most amount of calories.

Plus, a workout of an hour burning an amount of calories equal to three pieces of pizza? That sounds pretty decent.

Exactly this...

however I know skipping for 10mins burns a good amount of calories...but hard as heck....and I am not in bad shape.

The other thing that I tried lately was shooting hoops with the hubby...sort of a game. 8mins you shoot and get your own rebound and then go back to the foul line/3 point line and start again and whomever gets the most baskets in 8-10mins wins...it was tough...not sure what it burned but was fun too.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I just started with 4 days streak. Im here to ask which exercise tht burns a lot of calories because i've been working out for an hour a day but the calories tht has been burnt was only equal to 3 slices of pizza. Any idea ? Thank you so much and have a good day :)

Really? You're sure you're burning 900 calories in one hour? While I sometimes burn that many in an hour of riding a bicycle, it isn't a regular occurrence.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    Spin class

Even that's not going to give you the 900 calories in three slices of pizza. It's a good calorie burn, but unless you're 300+ pounds, it's not *that* good.

I'm basing this, of course, off of my 125ish self burning 300 calories or so in 50 minutes of spin. That's not even *one* slice of pizza, if we're using that as a metric.
  • MrsLannister
    MrsLannister Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I feel that walking/hiking gives me the best burn, because I can sustain it for longer periods of time.

I do CrossFit three days a week, which includes a warm up, lift portion, and workout. The workout is usually around 15 minutes and the whole thing takes about an hour. That usually only burns around 300 - 400 calories, even though I leave feeling like my *kitten* was kicked. Meanwhile, I walk 3 miles a few days a week and usually burn around 700+ calories in the same timeframe and it feels pretty easy. (I'm ~295lbs, so my calorie burns are higher than most people's.)
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Tuumest wrote: »
    Different types of exercise will raise your metabolic rate longer after you feel finish exercising, so that you continue to burn more calories long after your finished. Look into high intensity interval training (HIIT), probably the best calorie burner overall.

How much do you burn during and after your workout? Actual numbers please (not bro-science). Thanks.
  • NatashaMaurice
    edited November 2017
    Options
    @dewd2 yeah that's so true. I do watch my calories intake too. I was just giving a resemblance with food burn with exercise tht i do. thank you

@mgalsf12 Awww thank you. I'll find work put tht i enjoy someday

@BrianSharpe Yea i do have my goals in mind. Before this i do use to running for an hour but only using treadmill. Will tht can cause injuries too?. Thanks btw
  • NatashaMaurice
    Options
    @MotherOfSharpei Oh yeah. Im a quite busy person actually. I cant do too much outdoor. I can only limit one hour per day in my home gym. Honestly tho, i hate being in there. I do love outdoor one. thanks btw
  • NatashaMaurice
    Options
    @janejellyroll I really hope tht i can find exercise tht i enjoy and do everyday soon. Im still in a phase to push and force myself to do it. And it is getting hard everyday. Thanks btw

@Muscleflex79 I do some freeletics running and generic workout. I add the intensity but i can only burn less thn 500. I do actually want more. Is tht possible ? It's because im a busy person. I can only limit one hour per day. Tht's why im searching for the exercise tht burns a lot in an hour.

@pogiguy05 haha. Im just giving resemblance my friend

@Janice6543 Oh is it ? Gotta try it later. Thank you :)

@rybo I'll put that in mind. Thanks rybo :)
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,989 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »

Yea, that's probably about right for most exercise. I've heard that things like XC skiing and rowing are some of the biggest calorie burners on average, but ultimately exercise doesn't burn as many cals as most people would like. I don't think you'll do much better than 3 pieces of pizza for an hour's workout, regardless of what exercise you're doing.

Im afraid tht there is no snow in my country for skiing

You can get a XC workout w/o snow using a Concept2 SkiErg.

http://www.concept2.com/skierg/concept2-skierg

Along w/the Concep2 rower, it's the one of the most efficient ways to get a full body workout and burn the most cals in the shortest time.

You can find the Concept2 rower in almost every gym. You don't see the SkiErg very often but you'd most likely see one in a Crossfit gym.

Both the C2 rower and SkiErg are cheap enough to buy for home use if you can't find them in a gym near you or just want one for your own.
  • mysteps2beauty
    mysteps2beauty Posts: 493 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I would start with weight resistance. You burn calories but it will build muscle which burns more calories. That is why men in part get more calories to eat. They have more muscle mass. I don't want to invest in a gym membership just yet so I have kettle bells at home. Don't have to bulk up which is hard for a woman to do, but you will have an amazing tone to your body, plus you will burn more calories even while sleeping.

Also, there is this saying...."You can't out exercise a bad diet." Unfortunately, it's true.
  • bright_fit
    bright_fit Posts: 6 Member
    Options

You guys... she said that out of the 4 hours she exercise she burned 3 pieces of pizza. Not 3 pieces of pizza an hour...

So with that I have to ask.. what were you doing? 400 cal/hr is definitely not amazing but about right if you were doing moderate exercise - light jogging, elliptical? Have you tried group classes? Kickboxing is so fun and you burn a lot of calories.. even aerobics step classes should have you moving around more and sweating more than elliptical or something.

Everyone is right though... running is probably the top burner. Swimming burns a ton but unless you're good at continuously pushing yourself you don't actually burn *that* much. :)
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Your calories burned depend on several factors, like intensity of exercise and your current weight. I burn far less in an hour of running now than I did when I was 100 pounds heavier. Regardless, though, the best exercise for you is the one you like and will continue. You mentioned that you hate being in the gym, so are there other things you can do—hiking, swimming, outdoor running? Exercise doesn’t have to happen in a gym.
  • senor_jeff
    senor_jeff Posts: 47 Member
    Options
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,989 Member
    Options
    OP: It doesn't involve walking BUT if you want to do an exercise that actually simulates Nordic XC skiing, you might want to consider using (or buying) a Concept 2 SkiErg:

http://www.concept2.com/skierg/concept2-skierg

Along w/the Concep2 rower, it's the one of the most efficient ways to get a full body workout and burn the most cals in the shortest time.

You can find the Concept2 rower in almost every gym. You don't see the SkiErg very often but you'd most likely see one in a Crossfit gym. There's a search function on the page that can help you locate gyms w/ C2 SkiErgs that you can try.

Both the C2 rower and SkiErg are cheap enough to buy for home use if you can't find them in a gym near you or just want one for your own.
  • Tuumest
    Tuumest Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Tuumest wrote: »
    Different types of exercise will raise your metabolic rate longer after you feel finish exercising, so that you continue to burn more calories long after your finished. Look into high intensity interval training (HIIT), probably the best calorie burner overall.

I’m sorry people thought I was full of woo... but higher intensity exercise does raise your metabolic rate long after you stop exercising. Read here:

https://www.livestrong.com/article/485498-does-exercise-raise-your-metabolic-rate-for-several-hours-after-the-workout/
  • Bechler77
    Bechler77 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Deadlifts and squats will burn a ton of calories and give you a nice looking butt too☺️
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    bright_fit wrote: »

You guys... she said that out of the 4 hours she exercise she burned 3 pieces of pizza. Not 3 pieces of pizza an hour...

I think she did mean 3 slices of pizza in one hour, actually. With a 4 day streak meaning she's done this 1 hour of exercise 4 days in a row.