What exercise that burns a lot of calories ?

Options

Replies

• brendanwhite84
    brendanwhite84 Posts: 220 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Spin class

Even that's not going to give you the 900 calories in three slices of pizza. It's a good calorie burn, but unless you're 300+ pounds, it's not *that* good.

I'm basing this, of course, off of my 125ish self burning 300 calories or so in 50 minutes of spin. That's not even *one* slice of pizza, if we're using that as a metric.

I did a bike class (not spin, but on a fluid trainer) last night; 80 minutes for 1000 calories. We go pretty hard though - we spend a lot of time in zone 4 and I push myself into zone 5 on sprints on the regular.

Edit: as implied by my reference to heart rate zones, I wear a HRM while cycling indoors.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Tuumest wrote: »
    Different types of exercise will raise your metabolic rate longer after you feel finish exercising, so that you continue to burn more calories long after your finished. Look into high intensity interval training (HIIT), probably the best calorie burner overall.

I’m sorry people thought I was full of woo... but higher intensity exercise does raise your metabolic rate long after you stop exercising. Read here:

https://www.livestrong.com/article/485498-does-exercise-raise-your-metabolic-rate-for-several-hours-after-the-workout/

Where does it state this in the 'article'? The only numbers it gives is 190 calories after a vigorous 45 minute bike ride. That's not even a slice of pizza. However, the 45 minute ride will burn more than a couple minutes of HIT.

I also noticed someone posting the pound of muscle nonsense. It is true that you burn more with more muscle, but not enough to matter. At most you will gain an extra candy bar every month or so.
  • clowe06
    clowe06 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have an incline treadmill and use a high incline. I workout really hard on it and it zaps a lot of calories in a short period of time. You just gotta go really hard and push through it
  • clowe06
    clowe06 Posts: 5 Member
    Options

I have an incline treadmill and use a high incline. I workout really hard on it and it zaps a lot of calories in a short period of time. You just gotta go really hard and push through it
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Different types of exercise will raise your metabolic rate longer after you feel finish exercising, so that you continue to burn more calories long after your finished. Look into high intensity interval training (HIIT), probably the best calorie burner overall.

I’m sorry people thought I was full of woo... but higher intensity exercise does raise your metabolic rate long after you stop exercising. Read here:

https://www.livestrong.com/article/485498-does-exercise-raise-your-metabolic-rate-for-several-hours-after-the-workout/

Regardless of the length of time “metabolism is elevated” after high-intensity exercise, the TOTAL extra calorie burn is about 75-150 calories, or about 2-4 per hour.

Sounds a little different when you put it that way.

Unintentionally, you are quoting Woo.

• AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Such great info!
  • Tuumest
    Tuumest Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Well maybe you’ll like this article better then? Or you guys can do your own research. Like it or not, intensity matters. Like the article says, people prefer easy. Sorry if you’re one of those who’d rather go easy and believe it’s better than working hard.

http://road.cc/content/feature/138083-fact-burning-zone-fat-burning-myths-busted
  • chuckd7575
    chuckd7575 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Circuit training
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I don't know where you people buy your pizza, but bar slices around here are about 150 calories per. I think Zumba and cardio kickboxing burn the most. Some of the other exercises are hard to maintain for a full hour at a high intensity (skipping, jump rope, stair climbing, rowing, etc.), but are great for 10 to 15 minute high burn bursts to add to a weight lifting, Pilates, barre, or yoga workout.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,741 Member
    Options
    Spin class

Even that's not going to give you the 900 calories in three slices of pizza. It's a good calorie burn, but unless you're 300+ pounds, it's not *that* good.

I'm basing this, of course, off of my 125ish self burning 300 calories or so in 50 minutes of spin. That's not even *one* slice of pizza, if we're using that as a metric.

That's consistent with the 300-ish my HRM indicates for 45 minute spin class for my 120-something-pound self, too. (Zone 2-4 HRR, 'cos intervals, based on true resting/max). Silly bike always says well over 600. Heh.

Concept 2 rowing machine at around a 2:25 pace for 40 minutes is about 300 calories per HRM, too. (Zone 3-4). Machine (after bodyweight adjustment) says a bit more, but not a whole different ballpark.

FWIW.

It takes a lot of fairly intense exercise to earn pizza, especially at our size, IME.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    The only activity I’ve found where I burn more calories than running is boxing. I love it but it isn’t for everyone
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Well maybe you’ll like this article better then? Or you guys can do your own research. Like it or not, intensity matters. Like the article says, people prefer easy. Sorry if you’re one of those who’d rather go easy and believe it’s better than working hard.

http://road.cc/content/feature/138083-fact-burning-zone-fat-burning-myths-busted

Yes, going hard will burn more. But you're only doing it for a few minutes. Are you saying you can go hard for an hour? And what does fat burning myths have to do with this?
  • Ann262
    Ann262 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I have found that running is about the best calorie burn per hour. However, like others have said, you do need to be careful how quickly you increase your exercise or you will end up injured and sidelined. Finding something you enjoy is key. You still have to watch the calories in vs. calories out. It can be surprising. I remember being in a tough spin class and the teacher was playing Margaritaville. She said "sadly, this class doesn't burn enough calories to cancel out one Maragarita. When I trained for my first marathon, I thought I that would give me a green light to eat as much as I wanted and I would still lose weight. I gained weight and, no, it was not muscle. I am sure I built some muscle but I gained fat pounds.
  • WillingtoLose1001984
    Options
    Ann262 wrote: »
    I have found that running is about the best calorie burn per hour. However, like others have said, you do need to be careful how quickly you increase your exercise or you will end up injured and sidelined. Finding something you enjoy is key. You still have to watch the calories in vs. calories out. It can be surprising. I remember being in a tough spin class and the teacher was playing Margaritaville. She said "sadly, this class doesn't burn enough calories to cancel out one Maragarita. When I trained for my first marathon, I thought I that would give me a green light to eat as much as I wanted and I would still lose weight. I gained weight and, no, it was not muscle. I am sure I built some muscle but I gained fat pounds.

You must have been eating a lot of food or high calorie foods to cancel out training for a marathon!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Such great info!

Actually no - some good info but so much nonsense!

No HIIT or intervals isn't a big burner (short duration, recovery intervals reduce the average).
    When you see a runner winning a distance event doing sprint/walk intervals or a cyclist doing a Time Trial in intervals of flat out / recovery then I might revise my opinion!

Body weight is pretty insignificant for non-weight bearing exercise such as cycling or spin (it's about power, fitness and endurance).

Building muscles is very, very slow and any extra muscle built isn't very metabolically active so no big burns there.

No strength training isn't a big burner, any EPOC is just a small percentage of a small number.

Lastly - not all pizza is 300 cals/slice! :)

If someone genuinely wants a big calorie burn than cardio of your choice for a long duration is the winner by a country mile. If you only have an hour then go as hard as you can at your chosen cardio for the full hour.

• ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »

Where does it state this in the 'article'? The only numbers it gives is 190 calories after a vigorous 45 minute bike ride. That's not even a slice of pizza. However, the 45 minute ride will burn more than a couple minutes of HIT.

I also noticed someone posting the pound of muscle nonsense. It is true that you burn more with more muscle, but not enough to matter. At most you will gain an extra candy bar every month or so.

A candy bar a month is significant to me! Truly, when short and TDEE estimate is under 1400 a day that is actually quite significant. YMMV
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Im here to ask which exercise tht burns a lot of calories

Running and jumprope come to mind off the top of my head...
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Calories burned depends on actual workload and the workload one can sustain depends on fitness level. So not everyone can run or jump rope. Each of those activities require a higher aerobic fitness capacity just to do the minimum.
  • stingrayinfl
    stingrayinfl Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I try to mix it up with rowing, running, Javorek workouts, crossfit, biking, hiking, 30 min total body workouts and plyometrics and spin
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    Calories burned depends on actual workload and the workload one can sustain depends on fitness level. So not everyone can run or jump rope. Each of those activities require a higher aerobic fitness capacity just to do the minimum.

Like anything else, start off easy and work up.

A question was asked, I gave an answer.