Life After Gallbladder removal.

Options
oh god.. let me tell you. For about 2 months.. strange things have been occurring.. I may say longer than 2 months, probably over the summer. Example, fatigue after working out. Not normal fatigue. Always craving sugar-more and more. Even though I followed a healthy lifestyle. (was hard to control). Using the restroom was a challenge . Voiding (gross now-but informative- "green".. color.. not vegetable color). Yeah that was real. then discomfort when I would indulge. But since I was drinking my "lemon water "daily-that seems to post pone the inevitable. As time went on I was less and less motivated to workout. Fatigue was kinda marked. I pushed through. Again, using the restroom become more and more a challenge and pain in upper right side under ribs where now marked and painful. Long story, went to docs, had what is called a HIDA SCAN..and bingo.. gallbladder is broken. That was last MONDAY. See time line? 911 HAD SURGERY SCHEDULED WEDS. Day prior to turkey day! Yea. in and out.. doc said I was a powerhouse-strong with tons of strength that he hasn't see in a 53 yr old in a very long time. No meds bp PERFECT.. everything I do is perfect . I eat healthy and NO NO ABSOLUTELY NO JUNK FOOD. Maybe within these 4 months since pre-op one pizza and no beer night... once iceman. That's it. Doc was again amazed. My family vouched for me. lol.. They informed the doc that my mom is crazy nutrition sense. So doc said, "Anna, this is genetics. Someone is your family is and had suffered with this". However, lets get it out so you can live a healthier life style! GAME ON. SOOOO now I'm sitting here in my living room surfing the web.. etc. Reading everything I know about this removal of a very important organ. Tons of research points to people just returning back to junk food and eating whatever greasy food they want. I say WHY? Such mixed and stupid information. Why would you go and eat crap if you really never ate crap. My diet will not change. Probably more strict than ever. Fats "maybe" difficult to process, however in small moderation (good fats) will be ok. and like dude.... I got this. I have healthy fats anyway! Sorry so long and lots of run -on-sentences, but I have cabin fever. I have a full weight room in my house.. and it's calling me. My family may have to lock the door. I have weighed myself this morning post op..and lost like 6lbs.. (water) I am not obsessed but dam.... lets get this overweigh. *** ANYONE KNOWS ANYONE WITHOUT A GALLBLADDER ND ALREADY FOLLOWS A HEALTHY LIFE STYLE? I CAN NOT FIND NOT ONE SINGLE PERSON...can you believe that? no wonder people are just sick all the time..no one every practices health. Except here. oxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,212 Member
    Options
    You private messaged me. I wrote back at length, in a friendly tone. The reply included this:
    In maintenance, I eat in a generally healthy way, but eat more fat than during weight loss, *occasionally* eating some truly high fat thing (like a deep fried food).

Does that constitute an unhealthy lifestyle? I said it that way because it wasn't at all clear what you were looking for, and I thought you might be wondering if you'd need to watch your already-healthy diet more closely. You didn't ask what my diet was, as a whole.

OK, more details: Vegetarian for 43 years. I have a balanced, moderate diet of mostly simple, 1-ingredient foods, eating 5+ servings of fruit and veg most days (often 10+). Daily 100g protein minimum. Daily nuts and probiotic foods. I get vigorous exercise most days (rowing, spin class, more), at age 62.

I was formerly obese. I ate many of the same healthy things then, just too much (and more treat foods). I eat now similarly to how I ate then, just less. I worked out a lot, even competing in rowing.

Are you trying to find someone who has never been overweight, who's always worked out, who's always eaten in a very healthy way (however that's defined), but still had gallbladder problems, like you?

Some combination of genetic predisposition, environmental risks, minor lifestyle factors that work on the genetics, who knows what - they can catch up to us and cause problems, especially as we age.

By my definition, I follow a pretty healthy eating and exercise routine, after gallbladder surgery. I don't do it because of the gallbladder problem (which was not stones or sludge, BTW, it was adenomyomatosis.)

I don't know anyone who started "eating crap" after gallbladder surgery (whatever "crap" is). Most people I know kept eating however they did before, healthy or otherwise, though perhaps reducing fat if it gave them trouble post-surgically.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    From my understanding, the Gaul bladders function is to hold the bile stream with the view to releasing it for when the next meal or food supply arrives in the stomach. When someone no longer has a Gaul bladder the bile flows as it is produced. From listening to UK medical and food programs, I understand problems with bile occur when we consume insufficient "bitter" "sharp" flavoured foods to enable the bile to be produced and flow freely, if the flow is slow and/or thicker than advisable there can be a tendency to form Gaul stones otherwise bile salts.

The Gaul Bladder works closely with the liver, bile should also contain residual products of cells the liver has been eliminating, bile becomes a transport system to take this composition to the gut so it can be absorbed or at least make contact with fibre we consume in our foods, all being well in the fullness of time, (at least once in 24 hours and probably fewer than three times) be evacuated without being reabsorbed into our bodies.

As JeromeBarry says some may achieve benefits from using "Ox bile," others may use diluted juice of a lemon effectively, (too strong or too much and it can burn the stomach and/or throat, a person I once worked with did this). Some may choose to use dilute cider vinegar, (some find it easier to take than ordinary vinegar, though there is one beneficial element which is present in CV and not in other vinegars). HCI and pepsin available in UK health food shops will raise the acidity levels.

Interestingly, the above mentioned solutions will work pre-op so it may be possible for someone to avoid the need for an operation. Unfortunately general medicine will not tell you this. And being human we will all too often return to our old ways.

Op, elimination of stool is aided by the presence of "fats", our bodies use fat as a key component in many if not all of our hormones. Being unrealistically low in fats creates unnecessary health problems rather than alleviates them. I hope you find someone who shares you view of a healthy diet and that you will achieve your goals. Genetics may set the scene but we can find ways to circumvent the problems.
  • alexialmann
    alexialmann Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    No gall bladder here, no problems since having it removed in 2010. I ate pretty much as I do now, just bigger portions. I still eat whatever I want as long as it fits my calories and lifestyle. The doctor who removed mine blamed the stones on buildup of minerals during my two (healthy) pregnancies and nothing to do with diet. Best of luck with your recovery, maybe get a second opinion on the physical makeup of your gallstones. From what I understand, they can actually be caused by different things.
  • LZMiner
    LZMiner Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Spouse had his out two years ago and eats EXACTLY the same. No issues at all. Good luck!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    TLDR. Many people on here have had gallbladder removed, including me, and have lost weight and followed a healthy lifestyle.

@AnnPT77 You are patient, wise, and caring.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Eating too little fat is probably what causes gallstone buildup.

Where are you getting that from?

https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/weight-management/dieting-gallstones
  • angelagwilliams
    angelagwilliams Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I was in the same position last year, debating if I should have my gallbladder out or not. My HIDA scan showed my gallbladder functioning at just 3%. My doctor suggested I get it out rather quickly. They said they usually didn't see people as fit/healthy in for gallbladder surgery. That being said, my mom had her's out, but she was very over weight when she had her's removed. I delayed for months, hoping I could turn it around and get it going again. During the many months I tried to get my gallbladder working, I tried all kinds of gallbladder friendly diets, but nothing worked. I too did the lemon water routine, lots of beets, apple cider vinegar, etc. I might have a few days where I felt pretty good, and then out of nowhere I felt like I had lead in my belly and horrible reflux and heartburn. That was the best way to describe it.. which is pretty much what I had because I had an organ which wasn't working! For what it is worth, I have worked out for years lifting weights 3x per week, and active distance runner for years, but because of the lead in my belly and the horrible reflux, my fitness routine was slipping big time. I couldn't run as I was in pain, and lifting weights was next to impossible unless I was in an upright position (nothing lying down, no bench press, no sit ups, no mountain climbers, etc).

After many months of hemming and hawing and tons of internet research and discussions with my doctor I decided to move forward. It was the best decision and I really wish I had done it sooner. Surgery was pretty uneventful. Recovery was a little longer than I anticipated, a good week. Mainly because I felt like it took a good week to get all the anesthesia out of my system (I'm 5'3, 130). Worst part about it was all the air they pump into your belly... took several weeks for it to diminish. Digestion was a little slow initially and I could feel every piece of food going through my digestive system. I was very careful as to what I ate, but really no real issues. I am coming up on nearly 1-year being gallbladder free, and I wish I had done it when it was first diagnosed. For the most part I eat what I want. That being said I have noticed I don't do well with nuts, whole fat dairy (ice cream or whole milk), red meat and sometimes salmon will give me problems. I try to avoid really greasy foods (fried chicken, french fries, etc), but I will eat those items, and as long as it is in moderation I am fine. The lead in my belly feeling immediately went away, however, I do still have a time with occasional reflux (if I drink too much coffee or eat chocolate). For me the surgery was a blessing. Best of luck to you.
  • 30kgin2017
    30kgin2017 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Stay away from the weight room for as long as your doctor has told you too.I was let home from hospital really early due to having an 10week old baby at home and didnt follow his initial advice of taking it easy for a month (with a toddler and a 10wo its a bit hard to take it easy). I ended up back in hospital a week after my surgery from overdoing it. Even if its keyhole its still major surgery internally as my surgeon explained to me. Mine was hereditary bought on by pregnancy hormones.
  • jamfullhouse
    jamfullhouse Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I had my gallbladder removed 20 years ago because it didn't function properly but it was genetic. Many family members have had it removed especially my sisters and cousins in their early 20's. We do not believe it was anything we did. I am glad you can start recovering and feeling better.
  • gladius173
    gladius173 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    thank you all for writing and commenting with great advise. I am not 2 weeks post op and Received a clean bill of health to go back into the weight room- with ease and caution. ugh. lol. I am removing nicely. My diet is clean prior and post. But I have had just a little bit of indulgence and so far no issues. Actually as I expressed to my doc. that the question was posed how was my "rest room" visits. I explained that my "rest room" visits are actually better than prior to have a gallbladder. Actually perfect. (as Doc Oz would say- check out your poop) lol. TMI.. well ya know, on this type of forum, we all have to keep it real I guess. therefore I am proud to say, my rest room visits are great. Which is a great sign as per my Doc to now start my workouts!
    I have included MCT oil-powder in oatmeal and flax ground. Just a table spoon. Nothing too drastic. Lemon water -1 lemon every morning. And veggies. So I am hopeful that I will not have digestive issues as I Age gracefully ! Very strong and CAN NOT WAIT TO HIT THE WEIGHT ROOM. !
  • gladius173
    gladius173 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    and oh yes I have personally met some people who eat like crap and visit the rest room way too may time. IE-McD's- drink and wings,,etc. no veggies,, etc. and they are complaining why they have discomfort and pain. Not sure why one would ever want to eat like crap all the time and expect to be health... just boggles my mind. Just saying. :-)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,212 Member
    Options
    Glad you're progressing well, @gladius173: May you thrive on! :)
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Hi there! Gallbladder free for about 8 years now - and I have *no* digestive issues whatsoever.

My doctor noted that I didn't eat a very fatty diet prior to gallbladder removal, and completely blaming diet as cause of gallbladder disease is incorrect. Just like some people develop diabetes that aren't overweight and eat right, it happens to people with gallbladders.

Yes, if I was living in a hunter gatherer society in Africa I would be less likely to have developed the problem, but even in such societies people get gallstones, too.
  • tar2323
    tar2323 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    10 years without my gallbladder now and I eat the same way I did before, but with a mind to calories (6 stone down now). Since having my gallbladder removed, I can eat fats, spicy food, fried food or any of the stuff I couldn't eat before without any negative affect. I'm glad that everything is 'perfect' for you - it is for me too, without the desire or need to eat a 'perfect diet' all the time.