Vivoactive 3

Options
2»

Replies

• chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Is anyone using the new "Garmin Coach" to run a 5K?
  • chris_in_cal
    Options
    I am about 9 weeks in. I plugged in a 14 week plan. So far so good. It took a couple of weeks to actually figure out how to push the right buttons at the right time for the intervals, and rests, etc But I got it now. It has helped keep me on track.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,198 Member
    Options
    FWIW, I got a VA3 a couple of weeks ago, and am just getting used to it. I'm using an ANT+ chest strap during intentional exercise.

Not really planning on using the training planning features - not running structured training programs any more, and I'm not sure how compatible Garmin's approach would be with my rowing training plans anyway. Since I don't/can't run, I'm not a good motivation buddy candidate - sorry. :)

All day wrist-based HR tracking seems plausible (relevant periods comparable to past devices). Stairs tracking and some of the estimated rowing-specific stats are . . . imaginative, sometimes. Others seem plausible. Its sleep tracking, for me, is pure theater of the absurd - as I expected of pretty much any such device based on pre-purchase reading.

I won't be synch-ing calories to MFP. It, like other sources, underestimates TDEE materially for me, no idea why.

Fun gadget, though!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i'm considering it or the sport. my vivosmart, which i love, is no longer holding a charge well. my 10 mile run almost ate up the whole battery.
    i don't know if i need all the do-dads
  • chris_in_cal
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Fun gadget, though!

Yup. It does many things. The things I have tended to use are:

"Fitness Tracking"
    Daily step
    Daily stairs
    -Sleep, I usually look. I think it roughly represents when I went to sleep, when I woke up, and when my dog woke me up in the middle of the night . . . "I don't sleep enough"

"Activities"
    Pool swimming
    Running on a treadmill
    Running outdoors
    -Open Water Swimming, it is pretty hit or miss on whether to trust the data.

"Garmin 5K Coach"
    It has 'workouts' that have me doing intervals and learning to run at certain speeds.

Thing I should look more into:
    CIQ -there 'apps' ecosystem.
    Lifting weights