Females only! Sorry guys.

Options
I really struggle with tiredness, low mood and insatiable appetite before monthly time. It starts about two weeks before but the week leading up to it is a real struggle.

I wake up thinking of food! Then, back to normal once literal phase is over. Obviously this is preventing me from getting where I want to be an interested to hear of you all manage to control that appetite and lethargy. If so, how?

Any tips greatly received. Approaching 40 now it gets worse!

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I'm fortunate to just have three days like that. As above, I eat more (maintenance level) during that time. It's the overall trend over time which makes the difference. Maybe keep some notes on moods, try switching up the foods you eat, lower calorie but filling foods. Get enough sleep. Indulge in a little for sweets.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Are you on birth control? Maybe consider switching that up?

I never really had bad PMS, but around the age of 40 I decided that I'd had enough of the systemic birth control pills/hormones... Not so much my weight creeping up, but my blood pressure was... I am now on my second Mirena... It's been wonderful for me--I have only experienced a teeny bit of spotting for the first month after insertion, but beyond that I have no monthly cycle, so no PMS or any crazy cravings. I have not had any problems losing weight with it.
  • jolena_75
    jolena_75 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I agree, exercise helps me A LOT!! I can tell a huge difference when I exercise hard core and when life happens and I haven't gotten to exercise as much. Drink lots of water, that seems to help me also.
    Exercise actually makes me feel better. I also eat at maintenance for the 3 or so days where I am ravenous.

• shipleyamye
    shipleyamye Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    My hormones are so out of whack during that time...I totally get where you are coming from.
    When I get super hungry...I eat all that I want of lower calorie foods. I eat a ton of vegetables, huge salads, lean proteins like shellfish and white fish. I stay clear of white carbs, dairy and refined sugars. I also find that while I have zero motivation to exercise if I push through that and actually do it, I feel better.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    You're not alone. Impossible to even eat at maintenance during that time because I'm just so hungry! But the only things that satiate me are carbs, which just makes things worse... as it doesn't last long and piles on the calories.

Exercising doesn't change anything for me unfortunately. I still do it, but it really doesn't help. The pill didn't help either.

I wish I had a solution but it's been 3 years now that it started and I'm still looking!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I am peri (49 yrs old), so my hormones rage in one direction or the other. I get the insatiable craving for carbs a day or two prior (sometimes I don't). I choose maintenance and still exercise. It might not be the strongest and best effort I give exercise that day, but I do it anyways. I do feel better for it as well.

For myself these few days its all more important to make my breakfast/lunch balanced and filled with satiating foods.. that said my diary is pre-logged and I add in any carbs I want, chocolate, pastries, or what eve that is and know that when ever I need those comfy foods they are there for the taking.
  • RunStart34
    RunStart34 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Every month is a hit or missed. Some months its hard to control my appetite other months I am on point and even lose. The only thing that stays the same is my workouts. Even if I don't want to, I workout, otherwise I will gain weight (mostly water weight) which still gets depressing and causing me to lose control and eat more junk. Because I workout I maintain the same during my period and helps me to stay on track. Which is good. I won't lose weight but thank goodness I didn't gain any after all the water retention goes away.
  • saraonly9913
    saraonly9913 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    You're not alone. Impossible to even eat at maintenance during that time because I'm just so hungry! But the only things that satiate me are carbs, which just makes things worse... as it doesn't last long and piles on the calories.

Exercising doesn't change anything for me unfortunately. I still do it, but it really doesn't help. The pill didn't help either.

I wish I had a solution but it's been 3 years now that it started and I'm still looking!

This.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I set my calories to maintenance the week before they arrive.
    I don't have mood problems or lack of energy, so i still exercise as normal. It's just that insatiable appetite that does me in!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Also should have added. My appetite greatly reduces once my periods start, this seems to balance the higher previous days
  • Francl27
    Options
    Also should have added. My appetite greatly reduces once my periods start, this seems to balance the higher previous days

Definitely. It's MUCH easier then... but I also have to keep reminding myself that even if it's easier then to fit higher calories items at that time, I shouldn't do it because I need a bigger deficit to make up for the PMS disaster.

That's the thing that makes it so hard - I feel that I have to deprive myself constantly... can't splurge during PMS because it will just be a waste of calories that won't fill me up, can't splurge after because I need to make up for PMS. So frustrating. I've got 'wooed' on these boards a lot for it, but frankly I haven't managed to lose a pound since I started having that issue (3 years ago, when I went 10 lbs below the overweight category and turned 35). Actually gained some weight back. Frustrating (although to be fair, dessert and good food make me happy, and veggies don't always fill me up, nor do I care for them).
  • jennyylee
    jennyylee Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Every time I'm feeling tired or sluggish I just remember how good I'll feel after that workout... and if I'm in the craving mood- usually I'm just craving crunching on something.. I'm starting to keep things like baby carrots or celery at home for that.
  • Marcie9278
    Marcie9278 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I really wish there was a solution for this PMS craziness. Not one where they say to eat celery instead of that frosted brownie that you really want....something that you can do throughout the month that would make PMS not so mentally taxing.

I literally flew into a place last month for a brownie sundae. I could NOT deny myself. The urge was so ridiculously strong. And you know what? As I ate it and afterwards? I felt amazing!!! My body was like....THANK YOU!

So what if there was something that could make your body not feel that way ...so you're on an even keel. Birth control? Nah. I still had it. Trying to stuff your mouth with healthy stuff? Nah. Just makes me more grouchy. Only eating one piece of chocolate? That ain't cutting it. So what? Ugh..... probably just a brownie sundae and then yep....eat under calories for two days once Aunt Flo arrives.
  • Francl27
    Options
    Marcie9278 wrote: »
    I really wish there was a solution for this PMS craziness. Not one where they say to eat celery instead of that frosted brownie that you really want....something that you can do throughout the month that would make PMS not so mentally taxing.

I literally flew into a place last month for a brownie sundae. I could NOT deny myself. The urge was so ridiculously strong. And you know what? As I ate it and afterwards? I felt amazing!!! My body was like....THANK YOU!

So what if there was something that could make your body not feel that way ...so you're on an even keel. Birth control? Nah. I still had it. Trying to stuff your mouth with healthy stuff? Nah. Just makes me more grouchy. Only eating one piece of chocolate? That ain't cutting it. So what? Ugh..... probably just a brownie sundae and then yep....eat under calories for two days once Aunt Flo arrives.

That's the weird thing for me, I crave carbs, but not sugar... more bready stuff (pizza, rolls, cheesesteaks, cinnamon rolls, etc). Once I ate a huge piece of cheesecake and I was still hungry and unsatisfied after... I ended up having a big elephant ear and that finally helped... ridiculous!

I got to say, I'm jealous of women who can just have a piece of chocolate or eat at maintenance and be satisfied. I tried tea too... doesn't help one bit. And I sip on coffee all day...
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

I totally want a brownie sundae now...for breakfast. :#
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options

Literally? You got on a plane and went to another city for a brownie sundae?
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    oh yes.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

Maybe she's Supergirl. ;)
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options

I'm not an ice cream person, but I had an amazing triple death by chocolate at a Candy shoppe in Dublin a few years ago. I went back an hour later for seconds. I still think about that ice cream sometimes. If I wasn't sick and broke. I would fly to the other side of the world for it. :smiley: