Whey Low Sugar, appropriate?

Options

Replies

• ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I don't have a "mantra". As stated, it's only my second day here, second day as well trying to understand keto. This only has 4 g carb compared to regular sugar of 33 g carb per tsp. It didn't seem like a ridiculous question to me considering that's a vast difference.

A tsp of regular sugar is also normally 4g.

32sh04ovyx6a.png

• crystal_hartmann
    crystal_hartmann Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »
    2nd ingredient is I'm guessing lactose monohydrate (note that quite a few people have digestive issues with lactose). Fructose and lactose are both sugars (like sucrose aka table sugar). Sweetness per gram and bulk density amongst these may potentially vary though.

The ingredients are: Crystalline fructose and Lactose Monohydrate.
  • crystal_hartmann
    Options
    call, 301-774-2433, for a price quote.

This healthful, patented blend of fruit sugar, table sugar, and milk sugar offers an amazing 60 to 80% lower glycemic index, 75% lower caloric value, and 75% lower effective carbohydrate (or net impact carbohydrate) count than sugar.

Effective net carb? Why isn't there a count for that then? How the heck do you figure out impact carbohydrate?
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Like I said, I detest stevia and I'm allergic or have bad reaction to things like aspartame :/

Have you tried monkfruit? To me, it has less of an aftertaste than stevia. The downsides are it tends to be more expensive than stevia (at least in my experience), and there haven't been as many animal research with monkfruit.
  • ritzvin
    Options
    thecharon wrote: »
    1 tsp of sugar has 4 carbs. 1 tsp of this product has 4 carbs. https://www.wheylow.com/Whey-Low-Gold-brown-sugar-baking-sweetener-p/1031.htm 4 sugar grams vs. 4 sugar grams

How is this better for diabetic patients? careful with online sites and promises.

Possibly - Maybe fewer Carbons in those grams due to the additonal hydrate bound to the lactose (the monohydrate is possibly included in the carb weight but doesn't effectively do anything beyond the weight of an anhydrous lactose?
  • crystal_hartmann
    Options
    vingogly wrote: »
    Like I said, I detest stevia and I'm allergic or have bad reaction to things like aspartame :/

Have you tried monkfruit? To me, it has less of an aftertaste than stevia. The downsides are it tends to be more expensive than stevia (at least in my experience), and there haven't been as many animal research with monkfruit.

No I have not, but I bet it is not as expensive as this was!
  • crystal_hartmann
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »
    thecharon wrote: »
    1 tsp of sugar has 4 carbs. 1 tsp of this product has 4 carbs. https://www.wheylow.com/Whey-Low-Gold-brown-sugar-baking-sweetener-p/1031.htm 4 sugar grams vs. 4 sugar grams

How is this better for diabetic patients? careful with online sites and promises.

Possibly - Maybe fewer Carbons in those grams due to the additonal hydrate bound to the lactose (the monohydrate is possibly included in the carb weight but doesn't effectively do anything beyond the weight of an anhydrous lactose?

So while it's possibly better glycemic wise, it's no benefit keto wise since it's possible it's only included in the count. It has no real value?
  • crystal_hartmann
    Options
    Ok here we go. It doesn't say it on package but says it on site. 1 effective carb per tsp. I "assume" that means it's equal to the impact of only 1 carb?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Ok here we go. It doesn't say it on package but says it on site. 1 effective carb per tsp. I "assume" that means it's equal to the impact of only 1 carb?

So are you generally tracking net carbohydrates or are you going to count them just for this food? I think switching back and forth might be confusing.
  • crystal_hartmann
    Options

So are you generally tracking net carbohydrates or are you going to count them just for this food? I think switching back and forth might be confusing.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by that?
    I am logging in everything that I eat/drink and that does break it down by meal but also adds to my total count for the day. At this point, I'm more interested in my total count for the day which my understanding is that's net, not counting fiber.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    So...this is an expensive sugar “substitute” made out of sugar, which calls itself “whey” despite having no whey or any other protein and “low sugar” despite 100% of the ingredients being sugar.
    Seems legit.

OP,
    In order to avoid the scams of the diet industry, I highly recommend you read up on how weight loss actually works (start with the stickied posts here on MFP). Otherwise, this won’t be the last gimmicky product to take your money by making you think you need it.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

I am logging in everything that I eat/drink and that does break it down by meal but also adds to my total count for the day. At this point, I'm more interested in my total count for the day which my understanding is that's net, not counting fiber.

On MFP, your count is total carboydrates, not net carbohydrates.
  • ritzvin
    Options

..plus no fiber in this product anyway.
  • crystal_hartmann
    Options

This calculator was recommended to me to use along with keto. If it doesn't count net then how can I use it to keep track? Is it a setting change?

• janejellyroll
    Options

This calculator was recommended to me to use along with keto. If it doesn't count net then how can I use it to keep track? Is it a setting change?

I have no idea how you'd track net carbohydrates, sorry. I just do regular calorie counting, I don't limit carbohydrates.
  • ritzvin
    Options
    You would enable Fiber as one of the 5 diary columns and mentally subtract it from the grams of carbs. I don't think the site has a "net carbs" field.

With that said, you might want to try just tracking your calories (since you'd be tracking anyway for carbs) if you've never tried that before (before trying some special restrictive diet).