#1 rule for losing weight?

Options

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Dr fung is legit......

Legit what?

Because his ideas regarding insulin, carbs, and weight have been disproven.
  • karinschoultz
    karinschoultz Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Calories in, calories out. LOG LOG LOG so that you get to know what correct portion sizes are. FAR less that I ever thought!
  • nosugar1978
    nosugar1978 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    well so it doesn't work but it worked for me I wss 330 now 240 following his plan plus I take jim stopponi supps.....IF works great witb extended fasting....debunk or not it works
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    well so it doesn't work but it worked for me I wss 330 now 240 following his plan plus I take jim stopponi supps.....IF works great witb extended fasting....debunk or not it works

It works because you used that approach to create a calorie deficit. It wasn't the IF or the supplements that caused your weight loss, they were tools to help you achieve the calorie deficit which is the ONLY requirement for weight loss.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Dr fung is legit......

legit full of crap? he is also one who stated that someone with a AC1 of over 6 didnt need insulin.he also states diabetes is curable,its not. he needs to stick with what he does for a living,dealing with kidneys
  • nosugar1978
    nosugar1978 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    well i will stick with stopponi and fung we can disagree but it has worked for me...
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

Low carb, IF, supplements, these things can work fine if they help you get into a calorie deficit. No one is arguing otherwise. But they aren't required for weight loss, they aren't good for some people, and they certainly aren't the #1 thing you need for it. Low carb, IF, and supplements do not guarantee weight loss. A calorie deficit does. The trick, as always, is to find a way to get there that's sustainable for the person. If that's IF, great! If it's not IF, that's great too. What matters is the calorie deficit however one chooses to get there. Insisting that IF, supplements, or low carb are the #1 thing required for weight loss is just silly.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options

If it worked for you, it did so because it helped you stay in a calorie deficit.

Some people find it easier to hit their calorie goal when they limit carbs and added sugars. For me, it's fats that cause me to eat too much. The key is finding the right way of eating for you personally to eat the right amount of calories while feeling satiated, healthy, and happy.

OP, focus on calories first, and learn which macro distribution, meal timing etc work for you as you go. Good luck!
  • Goal179
    Goal179 Posts: 314 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    All of the above. You have to figure out what works for YOU which may take some experimentation. Start with simple Calories in Calories out (CICO) to get started and then clean your diet up from there. If CICO doesn't work or you find that you are gaining the weight back or having issues with BMR, then you may need to start looking at keto or low carb or sugar free, or paleo....you may need to eat specifically for your hormones or other specialized issue that fits with your body. If you are healthy with no insulin resistance and a good metabolism, you should be fine with focusing on healthy eating and CICO as the #1 place to start.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    #1 rule- Just keep trying to take more steps forward than backwards. Rest is just tips but this is how i succeed long term
  • Rje58
    Rje58 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Simple answer - harder to execute. Burn more calories than you eat.
  • notreallychris
    notreallychris Posts: 501 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

It works because you used that approach to create a calorie deficit. It wasn't the IF or the supplements that caused your weight loss, they were tools to help you achieve the calorie deficit which is the ONLY requirement for weight loss.

This!

ETA: For you OP, be honest and accurate with your logging. And make sure you're in a deficit!
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    You don't need to avoid bread, pasta, sugar, or any other food.
    You don't need to work out at a particular time, or even work out at all.
    Meal timing doesn't matter.
    Supplements do not cause weight loss.

The only thing that causes weight loss is eating fewer calories than you burn.

Accurately logging everything you eat will help you ensure that you're eating fewer calories than you burn.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Goal179 wrote: »
    All of the above. You have to figure out what works for YOU which may take some experimentation. Start with simple Calories in Calories out (CICO) to get started and then clean your diet up from there. If CICO doesn't work or you find that you are gaining the weight back or having issues with BMR, then you may need to start looking at keto or low carb or sugar free, or paleo....you may need to eat specifically for your hormones or other specialized issue that fits with your body. If you are healthy with no insulin resistance and a good metabolism, you should be fine with focusing on healthy eating and CICO as the #1 place to start.

CICO is a fundamental energy balance - it isn't a diet, a way of eating, or an approach to weight loss. It is overarching to all of the other things you mentioned - keto, low carb, sugar free, paleo, etc - if you lose weight doing any of those, then CICO is effect. Guess what, if you gain weight doing any of those, then CICO is in effect.
  • 93pear93
    93pear93 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    deficit of calories + workout
    no rocket science
    no needed any doctors books or whatev :D
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    @SydEKat This is my standard cut and paste post for someone new to MFP.

Some links to discussions in the Forums that have been voted/declared as the Most Helpful Posts.
    In the Main Forums you will see all the Sub Forums.
    In each of the Sub Forums you will see a post near the top labeled Most Helpful Posts - which applies to the Topics in the Forum.

Getting Started
    The first 3 in this Forum are must reads in my viewpoint.
    The one by sexysteff about Logging Accurately and Picking Food from the database, that even though it is dated since MFP changed the way items are marked as verified - the concepts are still valid so it is a good reference.
    Calorie Counting 101 by vismal and Logging Accuracy by sidesteel are also good reads.
    also by sidesteel http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

Food and Nutrition
    General Diet and Weight Loss Help

From the MFP Blogs a few links that might help you start in MFP.

Meal Planning
    Healthy Eating Tips
    The 11 Most Common Weight-Loss Blunders Dietitians See
    17 Weeknight Dinners That Registered Dietitians Actually Cook
    Weight Loss 101: What’s Actually Happening Inside You? [Infographic]

This is just a small compilation and may seem rather intimidating - take it in small pieces and slowly apply them into your daily routine until they become a habit.
    There is actually a multi - part Blog about Habits that was quite good but I can't find it and have lost the link to it.

• missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    For me, #1 rule, consistency staying at, or slightly under my calorie budget, eating less calories than I burn.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    check out dr jason fungs obiesty code....

I was wondering when you were going to bring him up...
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    #1 rule- Just keep trying to take more steps forward than backwards. Rest is just tips but this is how i succeed long term

This might just the best piece of advice I've read on here in a long time. Reminds me that we have a lot of days to do this and no one is particularly important.

And also, Dory "Just keep swimming..."