Calling into Work "Too Fat for Pants"

Options
2»

Replies

• YosemiteSlamAK
    YosemiteSlamAK Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    I was recruited for a job, did 3 interviews via phone & Skype for the position, got offered the job on the spot by the 3rd interviewer. Got all my clearances done, thought I had passed my medical exam. Then I was told I couldn't start until I lost 51 pounds. Nothing to do with my ability to actually perform the tasks of the job, simply a number on a scale! I was so frustrated, I have been doing this stuff for 20 years, I am in better cardiovascular condition than half the people in the industry, but because of where the job located I have to meet a higher standard, and in this case an outdated standard. But I want to lose the weight, the company has held the position for me for 5 months so far and been very supportive. It took me some time to realize I was angry about the wrong things or at least at the wrong people. They want me on their team, just like I am sure your company wants you on their team. Take the steps to fit into those "fancy pants" (ironically what I call my chemically ruined pants) and get back to being the great presenter/coworker you know you can be!
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Totally relate. I went to Salvation Army and Goodwill to buy some inexpensive fat clothes that would look presentable while I lost weight. Never got caught off-guard again.
  • LindaGilpin59
    LindaGilpin59 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    How are you doing?
  • DananaNanas
    DananaNanas Posts: 665 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    moelman13 wrote: »
    Thank you all for your replies. No milkshake here, or anywhere in the near future. It's on!

Yay! Good for you! How are you today after the weekend?

I echo the suggestions for shopping at thrift stores for work clothes. 90% of my work clothes are from Goodwill simply because I don't like spending money on them. Especially if you're looking for business-casual. Most things you find at second-hand stores are in great condition. People don't wear their work clothes to shreds and donate them... I think most things I find are surrendered due to fit issues (previous owner lost or gained weight... I find stuff with tags from the original stores all the time).

It helps my office has no shame in it either. We come in after Goodwill sprees and say "LOOK WHAT I GOT AT GOODWILL!! $6 CAN YOU BELIEVE IT?" lol
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Just dropped in to give you a hug. <hug>

Hope you've gotten a couple of nice outfits that fit well, and make it a point to shrink out of them. :smile:

Size 24 to size 10 here.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    This is what got me started two years and 80# ago — my pants were too tight. If I can do it, you can do it!
  • RLBansonNoond1990
    RLBansonNoond1990 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I know where you're coming from; I've gone up 4 dress sizes in the last 3 years. I've got to the point that my work shirts barely fit; and after suffering a miscarriage in July - People are still asking me when I'm due because I've gained so much weight and look 30+ weeks pregnant.

It's so embarrassing; and even worse when people make comments on it! I don't want people to lie to me and say I'm not overweight - but I wish people would be more tactful about it!

I often get so down about it that I binge eat which just makes it worse!

I hope you are doing better!
  • moelman13
    moelman13 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I know where you're coming from; I've gone up 4 dress sizes in the last 3 years. I've got to the point that my work shirts barely fit; and after suffering a miscarriage in July - People are still asking me when I'm due because I've gained so much weight and look 30+ weeks pregnant.

It's so embarrassing; and even worse when people make comments on it! I don't want people to lie to me and say I'm not overweight - but I wish people would be more tactful about it!

I often get so down about it that I binge eat which just makes it worse!

I hope you are doing better!

We can do it! Thanks for your support!
  • sfinsc
    sfinsc Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    This is so understandable, as you can tell from the replies! We've all been there in some fashion or another. It sounds like you needed that break to get back on track, so good for you for taking care of yourself. I'm glad you didn't get the milkshake. You can totally do this. Baby steps. I'm sure you're already doing this, but breaking weight loss down into mini goals can be very helpful, as can logging diligently in a food diary daily. You can do it!
  • moelman13
    moelman13 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks, and yes I think the baby steps is key. I changed my goal from -100 (where I need to be) to -20, and already feel more motivated and happy with my progress! :)