Upcoming Races:
    1/1/18 Resolution Run 5K
    4/8/18 Jasper Half Marathon
    8/18/18 Edmonton Marathon 10K

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    LOL - I grew up with miles and miles of trails I ran and played on, but honestly, smooth ice on a sidewalk with 15% grade? You end up running place looking for traction. :lol: Many places I just ran on the salted street, or any no paved/concreated place I could.
    @PastorVincent I would choose a salted street over a sidewalk every single time as long as it was a safe street to run on. Even in the summer I'll always run on streets before sidewalks, but especially so in the winter. Thankfully most of the roads around here are residential and runable year round.

I try to stay on sidewalks because my level of trust of people hurling along in 2-ton metal cages is not very high. :)
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    December goal: Keep kicking at Zumbro training
    Nominal mileage goal: Let's say 120?? I really don't know. Going for like 70% trail

12/1- 7.2
    12/2- 8.2
    12/3- 9.5
    12/4- 5.8
    12/5- REST
    12/6- 6.5
    12/7- REST
    12/8- 8.4ish
    12/9- 9.1
    12/10- 6.6
    12/11- REST
    12/12- 4.1
    12/13- 6.6

Total: 72.0

Today's notes: 6.6 road miles with 2 inches of fresh snow. The snow always slows things down and/or makes for a harder workout. Wasn't too slow today, the 6.6 was done in 1:00:04, for an average pace of 9:04. Hr was a bit High at 155 average, but that's the trade off. Run felt OK. Still feeling a bit lazy at times, with the lower mileage, but my coach says I'm doing well, so I'll go with that. I FEEL good, and the extra recovery time each week does seem to help me make gains, so I'll take it.

2018 races
    3/28- END-SURE 50k
    4/13- Zumbro Endurance Race 100 Mile
    5/19- Superior Trail 25k (Lottery)
    7/8- Afton 50k???
    9/8- Superior Trail 50 mile (Lottery)
    10/xx Wild Duluth 50k? 100k?

@PastorVincent I'd still take roads. With the trucks coming from the mines and logging areas, big vehicles are a hazard, but I'll risk that over an icy sidewalk... For that matter, I don't even run on the sidewalks in the summer... I just like the road better..... well, better than sidewalk, Trail is where my heart is and will always be.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    12/1-P90X CVX and yoga
    12/2-rest day
    12/3-8.3 miles
    12/4- P90X3 Warrior
    12/5-30 min strength training +20 min stationary bike
    12/6- 5.8 miles+ P90X3 Dynamix
    12/7-6.1 miles + 25 minutes strength
    12/8- P90X3 Synergistics
    12/9- rest day
    12/10-10 miles
    12/11-5.7 miles total including 0.5 w/Stella
    12/12-30 minutes strength training +P90X3 yoga

@hjeppley- Those photos are priceless! You look like a total badass in the second one. Good luck with the PT today. It sounds like you and I are in a similar place training wise. I am trying to heal a lingering hamstring injury. Not bad enough to keep me from running, but it could definitely benefit from some rest. So current prescription is reduced mileage, strength training and lots of yoga. I am also trying to focus on agility training as well in hopes that it will benefit me down the road. I am finally starting to see some progress in all of these areas. Marathon training starts in January.

@Orphia- Yet another stellar run photo. Surely I can't be the only one that is jealous of your runs!

@HonuNui - I <3 your ornament

@PastorVincent - I agree with @MNLittleFinn on staying off the sidewalks. IMO, they are more dangerous than the road, as long as you are running towards traffic. Also, regarding the frozen hands, I have mentioned here numerous times that I have pretty bad Reynaud's syndrome, so I am always wearing gloves. When temps dip below 20, I usually put a couple of hand warmers in my gloves. They work like a charm. I just remove them if my hands get too warm. I also know some folks that put them in their shoes, but I have not been brave enough to try this.

@JessicaMcB -Hope your little one is okay!
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @lporter229 My wife has MCTD, she's always in gloves. Her hands turn blue almost instantly in cold.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    @PastorVincent - I agree with @MNLittleFinn on staying off the sidewalks. IMO, they are more dangerous than the road, as long as you are running towards traffic. Also, regarding the frozen hands, I have mentioned here numerous times that I have pretty bad Reynaud's syndrome, so I am always wearing gloves. When temps dip below 20, I usually put a couple of hand warmers in my gloves. They work like a charm. I just remove them if my hands get too warm. I also know some folks that put them in their shoes, but I have not been brave enough to try this.

Y'all must have better drivers than we do. In the past week, TWO of my friends were clipped by cars. :(

RE: Hand warmers... that is a good idea. I have earned $10 reward form the Dicks Sporting Goods app for all my running, so might go get some on their dime. :)
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    @lporter229 My wife has MCTD, she's always in gloves. Her hands turn blue almost instantly in cold.

That's a bummer for your wife, especially living in Minnesota. I am sure she struggles greatly. Mine aren't quite that bad. My finger tips turn white and the base of my fingers turn reddish purple. They burn like a motha. Mittens seem to work better than gloves for me.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    Y'all must have better drivers than we do. In the past week, TWO of my friends were clipped by cars. :(
    Nope, I just run when there's nobody out. Some drivers actually swerve at runners, so it's always an issue.

• PastorVincent
    Options

That's a bummer for your wife, especially living in Minnesota. I am sure she struggles greatly. Mine aren't quite that bad. My finger tips turn white and the base of my fingers turn reddish purple. They burn like a motha. Mittens seem to work better than gloves for me.

I wonder if I have some flavor of that. Running in single digits most of my body was comfortable, but within minutes - even wearing gloves - my fingers were cold enough to hurt. I end up taking them out of the fingers and making fists inside the gloves which helps some. Or makes them numb. Not sure which :smiley:
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    12/1 - Les Mills Body Pump / CX Works
    12/2 - 12
    12/3 - REST
    12/4 - 4
    12/5 - 2.5
    12/6 - 2
    12/7 - REST
    12/8 - REST
    12/9 - 13.1 (!!!!!!!)
    12/10 - REST
    12/11 - 4
    12/12 - 3
    12/13 - 2

42.6/80

This week is kind of an in between week for training plans, and boy I gotta tell ya, when I don't have a spreadsheet telling me what the run should be for that day, my body sure doesn't want to get out of bed. Got outside around 5:15 and still managed a few miles. Tomorrow is a planned rest day and Friday's are Bodypump. This Friday's class is all Bodypump and no core work, so we'll see how that goes.

As for race pics, mine from the HM posted yesterday...and that's a no for me. I'm the least photogenic person on the planet, and evidently I need some better running pants. These had a case of saggy crotch. What I love about them is the leg pocket that fits my phone perfectly, but everything else about them is frankly annoying.

• MNLittleFinn
    Options

I wonder if I have some flavor of that. Running in single digits most of my body was comfortable, but within minutes - even wearing gloves - my fingers were cold enough to hurt. I end up taking them out of the fingers and making fists inside the gloves which helps some. Or makes them numb. Not sure which :smiley:

It's a glove thing I think. I don't have MCTD, but my fingers get really cold on runs, but it's not consistent. For me it has to do with the wind, windier they get cold, calm isn't as much of a problem.... with MCTD and Reynads, they'll turn blue even in a 65 degree house.
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Was able to get in a little over 4 miles last night. Started season 3 of The Great British Baking Show. I swear, these people really know their stuff when it comes to baking. My baking usually involves pre-made cookie dough.

My company's holiday party is Friday. I usually only go for the free lunch. The rest is rather excruciating.
  • PastorVincent
    Options

It's a glove thing I think. I don't have MCTD, but my fingers get really cold on runs, but it's not consistent. For me it has to do with the wind, windier they get cold, calm isn't as much of a problem.... with MCTD and Reynads, they'll turn blue even in a 65 degree house.

Okay, that sounds more server at least. I mean my fingers are cold now and it is 70 in here, but nowhere near dangerously cold.

I probably just need to get the pull-up mits ( http://amzn.to/2iWSoOG ) to pair with my gloves that some in this thread recommended.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    garygse wrote: »
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    I'm out for awhile. My knee is jacked up and life is overwhelming me.

Balls
    No, just the knee.

Knee balls :tongue:

LOL Yes, knee balls! I woke up with sore hips today, which has happened several times recently, and is probably related to the knee pain. I'm trying walking today. 15 min breaks from my desk. My knee has started to pop more loudly which makes me feel better than the weird crackling with every little movement. I'm used to loud popping :D:p

@orphia Love the pic! Gorgeous!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @JessicaMcB Am I understanding that you have a little one with a head injury and is throwing up? If so, you might seek medical attention.

Too funny on the mystery tramp stamp. Running has put a claim on you!

Waiting at the surgeons office. I think I over heard that he IS here today and his surgery was cancelled... Better than seeing the Nurse Assistant!

Count down to "can I run? Because I'm getting sooo fat." Up 5 pounds this month. Might be the cheesecake, not lack of running. :no_mouth:
  • CiaraRebello
    CiaraRebello Posts: 13 Member
    Options

It is really cold here in Toronto. Not sure I can run fast enough yet to keep warm so sticking to the treadmill for now. Looking forward to a trip to Miami in January - My sister thinks I am crazy to want to run on vacation but its going to be warm!

December running challenge:
    Dec 3: 3 miles (running 1 minutes, walking 2 min)
    Dec 6: 1.5 miles (running 3 minutes, walking 1 min)
    Dec 8: 1.5 miles (running 3 minutes, walking 1 min)
    Dec 10: 1.5 miles (running 3 minutes, walking 1 min)
    Dec 11: 1.4 km (walk)
    Dec 12: 3 km (walk)
    Dec 13: 1.8 miles (running 4 minutes, walking 1 min)

So far: 9.3 miles!
    Total Goal: 25 miles

End Goal: First 5K on May 27, 2018!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    12/1 – 0
    12/2 – 5 miles
    12/3 – 0
    12/4 – 7 miles
    12/5 – 5 miles
    12/6 - 0 miles
    12/7 – 6 miles
    12/8 - 0 miles
    12/9 - 3 miles
    12/10 - 7 miles
    12/11 – 0 miles
    12/12 - 6 miles
    12/13 – 0 miles chest cold

39 of 100 miles

Seems I’ve picked up a bit of a chest cold I was up all night coughing, even the dog left the room. Taking some meds so maybe it will stop. I don’t mind running with a cold, my throat has been sore for a few days, but I can’t run if all I’m doing is coughing. I had Skip to the dermatologist last week and while we were there Skip showed her some dry patches of skin that we thought was from her meds. The doctor said no it was a rash from a virus of some type. She said it’s a bit unusual but no doubt what caused it was contagious. Awesome!

@kgirlhart I’ve been known to wear gloves a headband and t-shirt in the 50F weather. I hate my hands and head being cold. Try that next time, you might find it solves your cold problem. @lporter229 I second hand warmers…nice and toasty
    @bashincenters we are praying for you, be safe
    @HonuNui that ornament is just awesome
    @katharmonic nice picture of you and steps – yipes. While we were in Hawaii I ran up the steps at Diamond Head, because well my boyfriend at the time dared me ha ha. OMG I wanted to die, but I got to the top and a woman and guy were standing there. She said you go My Fitness Pal, I had on my challenge shirt ha ha. I’ll have to check out those running pants with pockets!
    @RespectTheKitty we have the same baker, I can’t bake worth a darn…or cook it seems. Last night I was making chili for dinner and meatloaf for the rest of the week. I walked back into the kitchen when the meatloaf timer went off and low and behold the packet of seasoning was sitting there on the counter, unopened. So we have a big hamburger now.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @greenolivetree I have hip issues and my knee and foot on the same side will hurt because it effects my gait. It's a horrible cycle to be caught in. I hope a bit of rest quickly resolves the pain!
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today - Miles for December

12/1 5 miles - 5
    12/2 14.5 miles - 19.5
    12/3 REST DAY
    12/4 8 miles - 27.5
    12/5 9.5 miles - 37
    12/6 4.25 miles - 41.25
    12/7 10 miles - 51.25
    12/8 4 miles - 55.25