Ask A Nurse.....

Options

Replies

• Merrysailor5
    Merrysailor5 Posts: 1,424 Member
    Options
    dc8066 wrote: »
    _barefoot_ wrote: »
    How dose one become a nurse if that was a field they want to take ?
    Years in school and stuff ?

I got my license in a cereal box.

Walmart has better prices and more choices

I bought the cereal from Walmart......
    Have you ever performed a reverse CPR?

This procedure is new to me. Please describe.
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    Options
    Is it okay to request a female nurse or Dr, if you don't want another dude examining you? :lol:
  • Merrysailor5
    Options
    Is it okay to request a female nurse or Dr, if you don't want another dude examining you? :lol:

Be aware that while you can make this request, it will most likely be ignored. And/or they’ll purposely give you a male nurse and a male doctor.
  • dc8066
    dc8066 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options

I didn't word it correctly. Have you ever wished to perform a reverse CPR on anyone? (It is not a real procedure, think about it))
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    Options

Be aware that while you can make this request, it will most likely be ignored. And/or they’ll purposely give you a male nurse and a male doctor.

I was kidding :smirk:
  • Merrysailor5
    Options

I didn't word it correctly. Have you ever wished to perform a reverse CPR on anyone? (It is not a real procedure, think about it))

Oh. You mean axe em. Well yes. But, no have no actually done anything of the sort.
  • Merrysailor5
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Hi. I'm also a nurse and sometimes people treat me like a hooker even though I'm 50 years old with a fat asss and no makeup. Does this happen to you too?

Sometimes when I’m working I honestly think RN means “refreshments and narcotics”
  • Merrysailor5
    Options
    What temperature should you really go in to see a doc as an adult?

I have been as high as *just at* 105 before (briefly)...it was not good, idk what...some kind of real strong virus maybe.

I couldn't seem to find a straight answer about that at the time.

105 is a high temp for an adult. However, if the fever can be lower by Tylenol/Motrin and you’re able to take fluids, it’s not an emergency.
  • NewlifeinNW
    NewlifeinNW Posts: 3,866 Member
    Options
    Have you ever had a patient get physical with you (like try to hit you, not Hollywood molest you). I've heard some patients have bad reactions to medicines which can cause them to get violent.
  • Merrysailor5
    Options
    Hi. I'm also a nurse and sometimes people treat me like a hooker even though I'm 50 years old with a fat asss and no makeup. Does this happen to you too?

Sometimes when I’m working I honestly think RN means “refreshments and narcotics”

I'm an LPN and we all know that means Less Paid Ninconpoop.

I’d never call an LPN that. But I have heard them be called “little play nurse”
  • Merrysailor5
    Options
    csbnga wrote: »
    Have you ever had a patient get physical with you (like try to hit you, not Hollywood molest you). I've heard some patients have bad reactions to medicines which can cause them to get violent.

Sadly, I have been hit,kicked, slapped and bit. I have also had every kind of bodily fluid throw at me.

Nursing, so glamorous.
  • Merrysailor5
    Options

I'm an LPN and we all know that means Less Paid Ninconpoop.

I’d never call an LPN that. But I have heard them be called “little play nurse”

Oh, that's a new one. Hadn't heard of it. Love it though! :laugh:

I also know that some LPNs have been practicing for
    YEARS and that the knowledge they have, is priceless. Regardless of the letters by their name.
  • NewlifeinNW
    NewlifeinNW Posts: 3,866 Member
    Options
    I'd imagine you have to almost become numb to seeing people in pain in order to do what you need to do. Do you find that to be the case?
  • xFunctionalStrengthx
    xFunctionalStrengthx Posts: 4,928 Member
    Options
    jkou77 wrote: »
    I have a soft spot...should I be concerned

Do you have reason to be? ;)

I admire nurses for what they do and what they put up with in their jobs. Not an easy field to be in, especially if they get close to some of their patients as they tend to spend more time with them than the doctors do.

I've known a number of nurses over the years due to either related to friends of mine, or from a professional manner (me being a patient, or even working with them in a professional capacity). Was also in a relationship with one for quite a while. All of them have been some of the best people I know.
  • Merrysailor5
    Options

Sadly, I have been hit,kicked, slapped and bit. I have also had every kind of bodily fluid throw at me.

Nursing, so glamorous.

Including C Diff diarrhea? On purpose right? Just when you'd removed your precaution gown and forgot to bring a spare uniform just in case, amirite?

This. Is how is always happens. Always.
  • Merrysailor5
    Options
    I'd imagine you have to almost become numb to seeing people in pain in order to do what you need to do. Do you find that to be the case?

It’s the opposite actually. I am not numb to any pain of any kind. Nursing is an emotionally taxing career.
  • TheCounselorx
    TheCounselorx Posts: 1,182 Member
    Options
    so.... if a guys has swollen nipples.... like... constantly.... should he be worried?..... I'm asking for a friend.... 'k...
  • Merrysailor5
    Options
    so.... if a guys has swollen nipples.... like... constantly.... should he be worried?..... I'm asking for a friend.... 'k...

Yes. Tell Your “friend” to have that checked out.