Do people get Annoyed with you?

Options
124»

Replies

• joystick1
    joystick1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    No, but I get annoyed with them, my husband in particular, i've had a good weight loss so far and my tip is that I don't deny myself anything but watch portion sizes and make better choices where possible, so when I have something that I like, i.e. a kit kat or a glass of wine, all of which are included in my calories, I get slated for it by saying I thought you were trying to lose weight. If I did deny myself these things then I would have failed after the 1st week and I am now 4 months in and have lost 2 stone. Rant over ...
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    No, thankfully. Most of the comments I get concerning my food choices are along the lines of, "You're always so healthy. Why can't *I* be that healthy? *pout*"
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    sure, but do not listen to them, its your body, you want to do this, NOT THEM!
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    No, surprisingly, but then again the bulk of the people that would give me a hard time for it, live in another state some 1500 miles away and haven't seen me in person since Christmas last year. My husband recently joined me on MFP so our immediate household is a really safe place as far as eating habits go right now. And it also helps that my mom is also losing (she on WW), so it's a friendly comparison game sometimes (borderline competition but hasn't crossed that line...yet).
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I think there are probably a range of issues going on....

Some people are just plain jealous and don't like others to success, so they consciously attempt to jeopardize their progress.

Some people feel bad about how someone's progress makes them feel about themselves. Often they're overweight themselves and it brings up issues of guilt of not addressing their own weight issues and so they subconsciously attempt to jeopardize someone's progress.

Sometimes people are genuinely concerned...

And I think one other thing is about "normalisation" of obesity. With so many people no longer being a healthy weight, society has lost the plot about what a healthy weight for someone's height actually looks like and people think it's normal to be overweight.

There was an interesting piece of research a couple of years ago in the UK about parents not recognising when their own kids are obese due to normalisation of overweighness.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-12226744
  • jonsey_s
    jonsey_s Posts: 222
    Options
    Some don't get it. My mother will offer me stuff that I can't even comprehend. :laugh:
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    What annoys me is when people try and make me feel like a girl for dieting or tell me that, "Men aren't supposed to be skinny, they're meant to be thick.", I tell them "sure, but that thickness is supposed to come from muscle not fat".

I'm very immature at times you see so I would probably come back with, "your mom knows how thick I am" :p

I wouldn't advertise being "thick" in the UK... it means you operate in a cerebral vacuum, i.e. you're extremely stupid / unintelligent.
  • Sonj1973
    Sonj1973 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Yeah my mum...how bad is that! My mum hates seeing me lose weight, even though she is in the obese category.
  • milu1f
    milu1f Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Yep.
    I dont get if they love me y is it ok 2 watch me sit on the sofa eating crisps but when i eat healthy and go 2 the gym get annoyed at me!
  • ash190489
    ash190489 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Mines more to do with gym and exercise now then with food. Used to be food occasionally but I think they see it as a lifestyle change and they finally see my moto of "all in moderation" and occasionally letting my hair done and have a cheat meal here and there, but yes, as soon as I say "oh I won't be home then cuz ill still be at gym, or oh I'm going to a class on Sat morning sorry... Etc. still working on that being accepted as part of my lifestyle like food is now haha
  • linzijoy
    linzijoy Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I get this all of the time – it really bugs me that people make what I eat their business.

I found out I was lactose intolerant about 3 months ago and in that time I’ve lost weight as I’m watching what I’m eating and avoiding everything with milk in (I also started 5:2 four weeks ago for other reasons, but I’m sure this hasn’t impacted all that much).

Now when I’m with friends or family and say no to milk in my coffee or cake / biscuits /desserts or cheese I get people rolling their eyes at me and telling me I don’t need to diet anymore!! So I have to go into the whole lactose story AGAIN which is just plain boring!

I think people are sometimes far too concerned with other people’s lifestyles and should just concentrate on themselves, it's just rude!
  • expoduck
    expoduck Posts: 59
    Options
    No, but I get annoyed with them, my husband in particular, i've had a good weight loss so far and my tip is that I don't deny myself anything but watch portion sizes and make better choices where possible, so when I have something that I like, i.e. a kit kat or a glass of wine, all of which are included in my calories, I get slated for it by saying I thought you were trying to lose weight. If I did deny myself these things then I would have failed after the 1st week and I am now 4 months in and have lost 2 stone. Rant over ...

True dat! Same here! :)
  • WhoButME28
    WhoButME28 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    This was the case with mostly family members when I started my lifestyle change a few years ago when it came to food. After these last few years and the progress I've made I don't get the "oh, try this" or "have some of this, you'll like it" comments no where near as often because they realize that by not eating a lot of what they were offering is the reason why I've made the strides that I have.
  • Ccole90
    Ccole90 Posts: 7
    Options
    Ugh yes, i'm so glad someone posted this. I have been working really hard the past 3 weeks to watch what i eat and exercise. My husband is a horrible support and if i tell him i can't have something because its too many calories, he tells me "oh i think you'll live." and the skinny ***** next door who knows how hard i have been working out brought over 4 red velvet cookie sandwiches with chocolate frosting in the middle and wanted me to try one. Shes 18 and weighs as much as one of my legs, of course she can go burn off those calories like its nothing. I'm getting into my middle 20s and my metabolism isn't what it used to be. It just gets really annoying. The only supportive people i have in my life are the 3 girls i work out with and my mom.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    What annoys me is when people try and make me feel like a girl for dieting or tell me that, "Men aren't supposed to be skinny, they're meant to be thick.", I tell them "sure, but that thickness is supposed to come from muscle not fat".

I'm very immature at times you see so I would probably come back with, "your mom knows how thick I am" :p

That took me a minute. Well played. :laugh:

It truly sickens me to see how people are sabotaged. Some of you are sabotaged in such a cruel way that it makes it seem like you have the problem. All I can say is do not discuss your choices with those people. Do not spend a lot of time with them. Go about your business, and dont take the bait when they make ignorant comments.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    Ugh yes, i'm so glad someone posted this. I have been working really hard the past 3 weeks to watch what i eat and exercise. My husband is a horrible support and if i tell him i can't have something because its too many calories, he tells me "oh i think you'll live." and the skinny ***** next door who knows how hard i have been working out brought over 4 red velvet cookie sandwiches with chocolate frosting in the middle and wanted me to try one. Shes 18 and weighs as much as one of my legs, of course she can go burn off those calories like its nothing. I'm getting into my middle 20s and my metabolism isn't what it used to be. It just gets really annoying. The only supportive people i have in my life are the 3 girls i work out with and my mom.

I know you're having a rough go of it, but referring to some kid as "skinny b******" is just as bad.
  • curly1980
    curly1980 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I get told "aw go on a little but won't make a difference just do a bit more exercise tomorrow"

This gets me down as I plan all my meals and workouts days in advance as being a mum of 2 boys means I have to be organised especially now in the summer holidays (packed lunches for days out so I don't visit McDonald's instead!) so any extras will mess up my plans. Bbq's are the worst, my family make me feel like I'm wasting the food! Eating out of guilt has been an issue since childhood with sayings like "think of the starving children" and "clear your plate food costs money" so I'm finding it hard to be "selfish" and say no!
  • BattleTaxi
    BattleTaxi Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    This is a daily occurrence for me. I'm not sure which is more frustrating for myself though, someone trying to get me to eat poorly, or someone nagging me to eat the way THEY think is healthy.
  • irivas1
    irivas1 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Wow! Is that you on the ticker tape? There is such a remarkable difference. You look GREAT! Congratulations!! :happy:

This is meant for LeoXearo...simply had to comment!

In response to the OP's topic, yes. It happens. In my world, everyone has an opinion; even me! :laugh: