Changing diet & fear of gaining weight

Options
2»

Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    you do not need to lower your fats that low unless you have a health issue where fats need to be low. I have to be low fat/low cholesterol and high fiber due to a health issue and even my fats arent that low. fat is essential for hormones and many nutrients and vitamins are fat soluble. low fat doesnt mean you will lose fat quicker because dietary fat wont make you fat and neither will carbs unless you are going over maintenance calories.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,207 Member
    Options
    foofofoofo wrote: »
    The only weight gain carbs will cause is water weight as your body replenishes your glycogen stores in muscles and your liver.

What weight program are you on?
    What are your goals?

my goals is to loss my body fats
    my training program is :smile: 7 to 6 exercises per day with 4 sets 12,10,8,6 +biking for 15 to 20 min + abdominals 3 times aweek
    i train 5 days a week with two days off

So you are not on a specific program put together by someone else in terms of weight training, I would suggest you look into a specific program. There are a bunch like PHUL, Stronglifts 5x5, and more. Just randomly lifting weights without some sort of built-in progression in weight or intensity will not give you good results. Focus of the program should be on exercises that use many muscles like squats, bench presses, deadlifts, rows, etc rather than isolations exercises like curls and press downs.

With others I agree 1200-1500 is undereating unless you are quite short.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,207 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I wanted to add that gaining weight and gaining size is not always the same thing. Once can put on muscle, increase weight (even when increasing glycogen stores in your muscles) and not gain a lot of size. This is especially true if you are doing a recomp where you slowly, and I mean slowly, put on muscle and lose fat. Just because you start putting on weight when you start eating carbs while still at a calorie deficit, does not mean you are getting any bigger. There are many before and after pictures here, usually of women who think that all weight increase is size increase, who started lifting using a good lifting program and after 6 months to a year weighed more but were visibly leaner. When it comes down to it the scale is one of the least helpful ways to measuring progress in getting leaner.
  • charlieandcarol
    charlieandcarol Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    You seem to have weight, size, fat, muscle etc all muddled up. To be honest you are coming across more like you need to go see a counselor more than a dietician and I am being sincere you sound like you have got some disordered thinking around food and your body.

As some one asked what are your goals? Do you have a particular clothing size, physique or weight in mind?

Because some people find that when they get to the weight they thought they wanted they don't look like they expected. This is usually due to the physique they were thinking of being the result of lifting weights at a maintenance level of calories (or even slightly more) and actually weighing more but being physically smaller. Have a google about different size, heavier weight.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Normal people are overweight. Is that your goal?
  • foofofoofo
    foofofoofo Posts: 38 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    you do not need to lower your fats that low unless you have a health issue where fats need to be low. I have to ....
    I don’t know my dietician suggested that
  • foofofoofo
    edited December 2017
    Options
    So you are not on a specific program put together by someone else in terms of weight training, .....
    •I used to do a drop sets 4X4 with 5exercises per day
    •I can’t do any workouts that affects my hip injury I can’t run , walk more than 1 km , do squats or deadlifts (I’m going to do a total hip surgery in the next 3 months) so I’m limited to train my upper body & biking .
    •Yes I’m 5 feet tall 154 cm
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    foofofoofo wrote: »
    So you are not on a specific program put together by someone else in terms of weight training, .....
    •I used to do a drop sets 4X4 with 5exercises per day
    •I can’t do any workouts that affects my hip injury I can’t run , walk more than 1 km , do squats or deadlifts (I’m going to do a total hip surgery in the next 3 months) so I’m limited to train my upper body & biking .
    •Yes I’m 5 feet tall 154 cm

I looked at the reports and even ran your stats. What I see is you have some unique things about you . You are very short and you also state you will be under gaining a total hip surgery in 3 months? I presume you deal with pain and inflammation fairly regularly? Take any type of medication for this or other?

Interestingly the report states your BMR is 1287. When you run your stats though Miffin it says your BMR is approx 1500.. The report gives you a recommendation of 2007 calories (TDEE) a day. And currently has you at 1500 to consume a day to lose a pound a week. 200+ calorie difference in BMR for a male your age seems strange to me.

All you can do is follow the guidelines given to you, stay the course for 4-6 weeks. You will obtain enough data points in these 4-6 weeks assuming you track and log your food very accurately, keep up with exercise, etc to determine your TDEE is in line with what you have been given.

That said, find you a weight trending app (for Iphone/Android or web) to help you work with the fluctuations instead of being afraid of them. They are a completely normal part of our day to day weight.

Keep seeking the assistance of your doctors, or those that have your in-depth medical history, we are just internet strangers and in no way can give you exacts, but we all want to make sure that you eat enough to sustain your health and well being.
  • foofofoofo
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

I looked at the reports and even ran your stats. What I see is you have some unique things about you . You are very short and you also state you will be under gaining a total hip surgery in 3 months? I presume you deal with pain and inflammation fairly regularly? Take any type of medication for this or other?

No , I don’t take any type of medication currently& the pain is not that much only if walked for too long .

Is my BMR normal? Yes I’m short lol