Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Let it GO! Decluttering (simplifying) your life of (people, places or things) success stories?

1141517192078

Replies

  • NewLIFEstyle4MENewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,028Member Member Posts: 4,028Member Member
    @RubyRed427
    Just wanted to give you a "shout-out" (as "they" say) I think you're a very special and beautiful person...
    Thank you ever so VERY much for sharing and contributing to this thread. Your delightful and encouraging ways/comments are so lovely and inspirational to me {{{{ Hugs }}}}}
    o:)<3o:)
    edited August 2018
  • OrphiaOrphia Posts: 6,939Member Member Posts: 6,939Member Member
    Oh man, decluttering is one of my favorite pastimes (no really - there is no sarcasm there!), so I am so excited to have stumbled upon this thread.

    I have found for myself that when I start gaining some control or agency over one part of my life (finances, weight, space, etc.), it tends to translate and spill over into other parts of my life. It's like this energy snowball that builds and lets you power into lots of things.

    So after some very wishy-washy behavior with regards to MFP, I am happy to say I have logged in for 31 days in a row which has led to very modest weight loss, but more importantly:
    • More awareness of how I am spending my money on food/things that are not serving me
    • An increased vigilance about my career and how to improve it
    • Renewed interest in making my home a safe, comfortable place to unwind and recharge
    • More awareness of how I am treating my family and friends
    • More awareness of how I spend my time

    So while it's somewhat overwhelming, I am finding that getting my mind right about eating and exercising is forcing me to have a mind shift toward doing more positive things in every aspect of my life. I am trying to make my monkey mind focus on only a couple things at a time, though.

    @LuckyNumbers Love it!! Very nice post!

    I love that - an "energy snowball"!

    I was describing how, after one day of being alcohol-free, the happy hormones kick in, and make subsequent days easier and easier... sort of the same thing!

    And "trying to make my monkey mind focus on only a couple things at a time" - yes, that's how the magic happens!

    A little effort, done daily, adds up to wonderful improvements - in weight loss, exercise, decluttering, learning...

    You have a way with words. Very glad to meet you.
  • RubyRed427RubyRed427 Posts: 2,301Member Member Posts: 2,301Member Member
    @LuckyNumbers I really liked your post. Congrats on 31 days of logging. Xo
  • AJB1014AJB1014 Posts: 1,276Member Member Posts: 1,276Member Member
    Hey gang~

    I just thought about something I'd been doing for the past few weeks and wanted to mention it, but always forget (and speaking of forget, I restarted doing this AFTER forgetting about it for years), when my beloved hubby told me a couple of weeks ago that I'm looking "taller"(because I'm losing weight/body fat)--that inspired to to begin to focus on my posture, even as a NEAT (Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis) type of thang....

    Holding my tummy in on the regular and practicing good/better posture (even if I'm sitting or "coach-potatoing"). Wow, "practicing" holding one's tummy in, walking with shoulders back a bit and even a bit more "graceful/encouraged/elegant" as I walk and good posture in general (and not to mention the better and positive attitude about myself and others and again, FOCUSING on good posture) does something wonderful in and thru me. The more I practice good posture and hold my tummy in (even if it's just a wee bit) is helping me in ways that are hard to describe. What does this have to do with Letting it GO! Well, carrying myself with better posture is somehow super raises my poise/equilibrium. It makes me feel more beautiful inside and out, which in turns is helping me even more in the area of letting GO of fear and excess negative thinking and being (as walking with poor posture and slump shoulders, etc. seems to encourage negativity, which sparks carelessness/slothfulness and yuck in me more). Lastly, practicing good posture ALL the time, somehow matches with a more decluttered/simplied lifestyle too. Just a thought I wanted to share! Walking tall and confident is truly NEAT!

    Thanks for sharing! My mom is a physical therapist and always told me to "sit up straight" - I'm finally listening to her!!!
  • NewLIFEstyle4MENewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,028Member Member Posts: 4,028Member Member
    AJB1014 wrote: »
    My moving saga continues! So far I've donated a huge box of shoes, two garbage bags full of clothes, 1 garbage bag full of outdoor gear, and another bag of toiletries. I had to keep reminding myself that throwing away objects does not mean throwing away the memories - but that little mantra really helped and things started flying into the donate pile! It felt really good to donate to a local charity that I know uses the donations locally. I'm really excited to FINALLY do it RIGHT not do it fast - which is why I've toted around years and years worth of junk...Yay!

    YAY indeed and YAY YOU as well. I've been thinking/wondering how your move is going. You're doing absolutely fabulous and your attitude/spirit is just tremendously encouraging and inspirational. You ROCK, period.
  • NewLIFEstyle4MENewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,028Member Member Posts: 4,028Member Member
  • meepmyameepmya Posts: 37Member Member Posts: 37Member Member
    I never thought of it like that, but what you said was so insightful and true. I going to get cracking on decluttering one room tonight. In fact right now 🙂
    edited August 2018
  • NewLIFEstyle4MENewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,028Member Member Posts: 4,028Member Member
    meepmya wrote: »
    I never thought of it like that, but what you said was so insightful and true. I going to get cracking on decluttering one room tonight. In fact right now 🙂

    Mega YAY YOU!!!! I'm so cheering for you and cheering you on. REMEMBER, hurry or any type of fret or rush to get it "all" done at once is a recipe for YUCK, take your precious time and do it right and righteously. You are on your way to clutter-freeville and I'm so GLAD for you. o:)<3o:) THANK you so much for contributing to this thread, you ROCK, period.
  • Snowflake1968Snowflake1968 Posts: 4,038Member Member Posts: 4,038Member Member
    AJB1014 wrote: »
    Hey gang~

    I just thought about something I'd been doing for the past few weeks and wanted to mention it, but always forget (and speaking of forget, I restarted doing this AFTER forgetting about it for years), when my beloved hubby told me a couple of weeks ago that I'm looking "taller"(because I'm losing weight/body fat)--that inspired to to begin to focus on my posture, even as a NEAT (Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis) type of thang....

    Holding my tummy in on the regular and practicing good/better posture (even if I'm sitting or "coach-potatoing"). Wow, "practicing" holding one's tummy in, walking with shoulders back a bit and even a bit more "graceful/encouraged/elegant" as I walk and good posture in general (and not to mention the better and positive attitude about myself and others and again, FOCUSING on good posture) does something wonderful in and thru me. The more I practice good posture and hold my tummy in (even if it's just a wee bit) is helping me in ways that are hard to describe. What does this have to do with Letting it GO! Well, carrying myself with better posture is somehow super raises my poise/equilibrium. It makes me feel more beautiful inside and out, which in turns is helping me even more in the area of letting GO of fear and excess negative thinking and being (as walking with poor posture and slump shoulders, etc. seems to encourage negativity, which sparks carelessness/slothfulness and yuck in me more). Lastly, practicing good posture ALL the time, somehow matches with a more decluttered/simplied lifestyle too. Just a thought I wanted to share! Walking tall and confident is truly NEAT!

    Thanks for sharing! My mom is a physical therapist and always told me to "sit up straight" - I'm finally listening to her!!!

    OH man, all of my aches and pains for years have come down to lack of proper posture. I still struggle most days with learning this. Should have listened to my Grandmother all those years ago. Thanks for the reminder.
  • NewLIFEstyle4MENewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,028Member Member Posts: 4,028Member Member
    snoo61 wrote: »
    With all the extra trash from replacing electronics and appliances, I had to stop decluttering until trash day. It will take a couple weeks to be caught up, but I'll do what I can when there's room. In the meantime, I've decided to wash doors or walls in the house. :)

    You winner you, choosing/DECIDING to wash the walls/doors in the house in lieu of what's going on with the electronics/appliances is the stuff CHAMPIONS are truly made of. Wow, that's not only impressive...you've inspired me to wash the inside garage door (I decluttered and mopped the floors, but didn't think about the inside door, it aint looking all that swift, now that I think about it) AND I;m going to go ahead and clean other walls and doors I've neglected doing--just for the NEAT exercise and because I can. Thank you so much for contributing to this thread, you've helped in ways that can't fully be described--BOOM!
  • OrphiaOrphia Posts: 6,939Member Member Posts: 6,939Member Member
    snoo61 wrote: »
    With all the extra trash from replacing electronics and appliances, I had to stop decluttering until trash day. It will take a couple weeks to be caught up, but I'll do what I can when there's room. In the meantime, I've decided to wash doors or walls in the house. :)

    @snoo61 Thanks for that! Washing walls and doors is a great way to do NEAT!
    peggym4640 wrote: »
    Hey gang!

    Just wanted to share something that "may" bless your socks off! Ya know, I see many overweight and obese woman that keep themselves looking sharp and good. Unfortunately, I was so NOT one of them. I just could never find clothes and stuff that looked good on me AND I was too slothful/lazy/unmotivated/quite frankly "shiftless" (as we use to call it) to keep up my appearance on a daily basis. I would just wear regularly big ole tee-shirts, baggy jogging/sloppy looking clothes, etc. Another thing this "decluttering and letting GO: of everything hindering me to be the best I could be and do the best that I could. I started purposely making it my business to "look" better and look "cute" everyday, as my home and surroundings/environment and I began to be "slimmer" less clutter, mess and fat--more minimalistic and clean and prettier. I started MAKING myself dress/look cleaner and prettier too--EVERYDAY!

    This may sound like "common-sense" or unnecessary to read/talk about, but for a lot of obese/overweight people (especially stay at home moms, etc.) BELIEVE ME, this is a real issue haunting and troubling many folk. It really is, and I aint scare to bring it up/talk about with y'all because I care and it's working something tremendous to/for me and I think it's important to share! Also, this doesn't necessarily mean more make-up either. I don't wear make-up myself, but to each is own. One does NOT have to fill their face with make-up and wigs to look super CUTE, natural beauty is REAL, no matter that TV/Movies tell/show us.

    What does this have to do with decluttering and simplifying y/our lives? A LOT. Making yourself look attractive does something powerful in/thru/to you. Now I'm NOT talking about spending a lot of money or the folly/foolishness of getting into the slavery called DEBT to look good-to >:) with that, period. You can wash and wear the same outfits overs and over and look REALLY good, you really can. It's all about the "attitude" as they say. Also, GOOD Hygiene and declutterization (is that a word) are BEST FRIENDS. Before we boarded this train called CHANGE, many of us allowed poor hygiene and "who cares spirit" to rule and reign in our mind/hearts and lives. MAKE yourself pamper yourself daily with good hygiene (bathing/showering/brushing you teeth, combing/styling your hair, etc.) and literally going out of your way to be looking/smelling/living better and better more and more each day. DO IT, make it a priority with your decluttering and WATCH what happens in/thru/to you.

    {{{{{{{{ Hugs }}}}}}}}}}} and let's do this, as "they" say. EVERYDAY, no matter what--no matter how much you may not "feel" like it--DO IT ANYWAY. Operation look CUTER daily is a challenge that you will thank yourself for (and your spouse, family, friends will too). I promise. Rome wasn't built in a day, as with decluttering, little by little, step by step, one "issue" at a time. <3o:)<3

    Here's some article that may inspire you:

    https://www.complex.com/style/2013/08/10-ways-dressing-well-helps-you-in-life/

    https://www.riskology.co/dress-well/

    If this comes up twice, I apologize. But I couldn't agree with this post more. I bought some new clothes and took some old ones to be altered to fit me exactly as I was. Not in 10 pounds, not in 20 but where my body was in that moment. That led to feeling good which led to making small changes to my diet - adding things in instead of eliminating the things I love, I started working out and then I started counting my calories. It was slow and it worked for me. Accepting where I was and embracing the beauty of where I was (and therapy) had a huge impact.

    Thanks for posting me and the beautiful reminder of how far I've come!

    @peggym4640 Yay you!! What a great example of what a lot of successful people recommend!

    They say you should try to lose weight because you love and care for yourself and want to be nice to yourself.

    They say you should seek help for any self-esteem, depression, mental health or addicton issues before tackling weight loss.

    I love your story.
Sign In or Register to comment.