Let it GO! Decluttering (simplifying) your life of (people, places or things) success stories?

Options

Replies

• nooie19
    nooie19 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    snoo61 wrote: »
    Someone posted a link to a declutter site a while ago. Its 15 minutes a day and gets every part of your house. I am doing it. Today is clean the sink area. Not under the sink. It took me 17 minutes, but I don't have a lot of stuff in that area. I will say, behind the faucet was disgusting. I will do better! I also need a new potato scrubber.

What’s the name of the website? Sounds great!
  • nooie19
    nooie19 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    nooie19 wrote: »
    Don’t have any success stories yet, but I am newly motivated to do some clutter control while still on vacation

The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up is an excellent book about getting rid of clutter. And she gives great advice about folding clothes neatly. The author can be a little too woo-woo for some, but I like her advice to openly keep things that bring you joy. It’s time to rid myself of joyless, droopy underpants that are too big.

It is interesting how often the feeling of tidying up is equated with the feeling of losing weight.

Not sure if the show is new (and if someone has already mentioned it I apologize), but just today on Netflix there is a Marie Kondo show that popped up for me called “Tidying Up with Marie Kondo.” I can’t wait to watch it! I’m in the USA (I know Netflix has varying offerings by country).

The book was very helpful for me, I declutted a TON of things after I read the book, though I admit I stopped when it came to sentimental items. :neutral: I need to work on that. I still ask myself when decluttering, does this spark joy?

Also funny, I just bought new underpants! I know, TMI. Turns out, after losing 50+ pounds, you might need new undergarments. 😆

SO EXCITED to watch Marie Kondo on Netflix! That will be perfect for winter evening workouts on the stationary bike!
  • snoo61
    snoo61 Posts: 549 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    @Nooie19 its Declutter 365 From Home Storage Solutions 101. I have the 2018 version, but there's a 2019. Also its free.
  • laurenq1991
    laurenq1991 Posts: 384 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    The past few days I've had a feeling that our apartment is a disaster, overly cluttered and filthy. But it's weird because we haven't bought any new stuff and I've been cleaning. I can't even pinpoint what the problem is exactly. I feel stressed out about it and don't even want to be at home anymore. Has anyone else had this feeling? Is it just some sort of societal ideal that your home is supposed to look like it's out of a magazine, and cognitive dissonance that a real-life home with actual people in it is not going to look like that?
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    The past few days I've had a feeling that our apartment is a disaster, overly cluttered and filthy. But it's weird because we haven't bought any new stuff and I've been cleaning. I can't even pinpoint what the problem is exactly. I feel stressed out about it and don't even want to be at home anymore. Has anyone else had this feeling? Is it just some sort of societal ideal that your home is supposed to look like it's out of a magazine, and cognitive dissonance that a real-life home with actual people in it is not going to look like that?

{{{{{{{ <3 Lauren <3 }}}}}}}

Please KNOW you are so NOT alone...even though you've haven't brought more stuff--"maybe" you are feeling the anxiety from the excess(ive) amount of things/"stuff you do have. Having too much "stuff" can open the doors of depression and confusion...well, at least for me anyway. I found this article that may give you some doable answers:

The Link Between Clutter and Depression It’s been proven. Clutter is a bummer — literally.
    here's an excerpt:
    "It turns out that clutter has a profound affect on our mood and self-esteem. CELF’s anthropologists, social scientists, and archaeologists found:",,, (for the entire article, click link bellow)
    https://www.houselogic.com/organize-maintain/cleaning-decluttering/clutter-depression/

Here's more helpful answers to help how you "feel"

6 Ways to Clean House When You're Depressed
    A clean house can help a depressed mind. Learn coping skills that can help you stay on top of your housework.
    Here's an excerpt:
    "One of the key signs of depression is when you suspend taking care of day-to-day chores, like cleaning your house. Depression leaves you feeling so down and tired that you just let things go. Unfortunately, a messy house can add to those feelings of depression — creating a destructive cycle that feeds on itself. " (click link below for entire article)
    https://www.everydayhealth.com/depression/clean-house-when-youre-depressed.aspx

Girl, I can't speak for everyone (of course), but my house isn't going to be looking like a "magazine" no time soon, because we live here and are at home a lot, for real, and expecting our homes to be magazine like is simply, ummmm, unrealistic, impractical and/or unreal expectations. (Even though one of my daughters came over yesterday and did comment how beautiful the house looks, but that took a LOT of time (and getting rid of a LOT, I mean A LOT of "stuff" in that year's time and it took/takes A LOT practice/maintenance over the past year to keep it that way too--(the good news is, all of that practice/maintenance I used for N.E.A.T. exercising and helped me blast 70lbs off of my body/life) It's simply Ain't going to happen overnight, like ALL good things, it gonna take time to get there and even more time to STAY there/maintainance). Maybe once all of our (many) children are FINALLY gone/OUT THE NEST though, maybe then I'll have a mazagine looking house--MAYBE ;) ....that's only a hope/dream of mine. Seriously though, decluttering is so NOT about stuff being "picture perfect ALL the time", it's about NOT hanging on to so much stuff, NOT being overloaded/overwhelmed with so much stuff, it's impossible to not only keep a clean house, but to be able to SEE stuff. Sometimes, the clutter is so, ummmm, "natural" we're so used to it--it doesn't "seem" like it's really clutter and/or we feel like you do

"But it's weird because we haven't bought any new stuff and I've been cleaning. I can't even pinpoint what the problem is exactly. I feel stressed out about it and don't even want to be at home anymore.

That may be a "sign" of it's time to get rd of a lot more stuff...maybe not though--but MAYBE ;) . When I got to the point of getting rid of soooo much stuff (nice stuff, memorable stuff, cute stuff and lots of it), I could start "seeing" when things were out of place more easily. Check out those articles and again, know you're NOT alone and we're here with and for YOU!

P.S. {{{{{{{ Hugs again }}}}}}}}}
  • IdLikeToLoseItLoseIt
    Options
    Put all my recipes in alphabetical order, and in protective covers. Put them in a 3 inch binder (my 1" was too small). Recipes organized!

That’s a great accomplishment!

• NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    Put all my recipes in alphabetical order, and in protective covers. Put them in a 3 inch binder (my 1" was too small). Recipes organized!

Yes it is...YAY Snoo!
  • snoo61
    Options

Yes it is...YAY Snoo!

Thanks! I've been wanting to do it for years.
  • snoo61
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Today is kitchen counters and islands. I don't have a lot of counter space, so not much to declutter. Instead, I'm taking everything off, cleaning the counter and wall, cleaning the appliances, and putting them back. Will take more than 15 minutes, but worth it!
    Also, we are taking our broken couch out today, so I will be sweeping and mopping the living room.
    There is so much less stress, and more joy now!
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options

Well, it's 2019 (ALREADY?!?) Seems like just yesterday it was, ummmm...1967 or 2003 or something. WOW, time flies fast.

Don't know if I did this right for quoting, but it really made me laugh! One of those years is when I graduated high school (you can guess which one, lol), and your right..time does fly fast. & seems to go faster all the time!
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    Options
    My weight blastification hasn't been going so good, so now it is time to get with the decluttering. Most parts of my house look passable..just don't look behind closed doors too much! :) Haven't been feeling well this week, so after sleeping most of the day yesterday, I was up at 3am. Made myself some tea & honey & got my book out. It is called "It's All Too Much" by Peter Walsh. If any of you know him..he's an organizer that used to be on TLC program "Clean Sweep" & I think he was on Oprah channel some, too. I have read this book many times & it really gets you thinking about your stuff. Anyway, along the lines of decluttering the places (clothes especially..the ones I am saving for when (or if) I get the last 10-15# off) that need it, I decided I need to reread the book. I recommend it.
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    Options
    Oh, and I agree being debt-free is great! A long time ago, I figured out a budget (I am more the numbers person or as Dave Ramsey says..the nerd, lol). I just got tired of living paycheck to paycheck, when I felt like we had decent jobs. Now, we are enjoying retirement. (of course, I try not to get overconfident about it, because like they say, we can all be one step from homeless)
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options

Well, it's 2019 (ALREADY?!?) Seems like just yesterday it was, ummmm...1967 or 2003 or something. WOW, time flies fast.

Don't know if I did this right for quoting, but it really made me laugh! One of those years is when I graduated high school (you can guess which one, lol), and your right..time does fly fast. & seems to go faster all the time!

Girrrlll...I remember 1968 AND 2003 like it was the other day, for REAL. I'm so there with you about time seeming to go faster and faster these days--YAY for time and it's flight!

My weight blastification hasn't been going so good, so now it is time to get with the decluttering. Most parts of my house look passable..just don't look behind closed doors too much! :) Haven't been feeling well this week, so after sleeping most of the day yesterday, I was up at 3am. Made myself some tea & honey & got my book out. It is called "It's All Too Much" by Peter Walsh. If any of you know him..he's an organizer that used to be on TLC program "Clean Sweep" & I think he was on Oprah channel some, too. I have read this book many times & it really gets you thinking about your stuff. Anyway, along the lines of decluttering the places (clothes especially..the ones I am saving for when (or if) I get the last 10-15# off) that need it, I decided I need to reread the book. I recommend it.

Here's to hoping you will be feeling better and better and 100% well! Sorry the weight blastification hasn't been going as well as you'd like, but honey aint nobody rushing nothing, take your sweet time and do it right and righteously. How excellent of you encourage yourself and move on the decluttering, despite the "stalls" of getting down to the size you want. I just LOVE attitudes like that--BOOM!

Never heard of the author, but it must be a terrific inspirational book for you to read it again--YAY YOU and
    {{{{ Hugs }}}}}

• NewLIFEstyle4ME
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Oh, and I agree being debt-free is great! A long time ago, I figured out a budget (I am more the numbers person or as Dave Ramsey says..the nerd, lol). I just got tired of living paycheck to paycheck, when I felt like we had decent jobs. Now, we are enjoying retirement. (of course, I try not to get overconfident about it, because like they say, we can all be one step from homeless)

Wow...just WOW and Bravo, bravissimo!
    I would highlight the most excellent points you've made, but your entire post is, ummmm, UTTERLY REAL AND FABULOUS. Thank you ever so much for posting this. Your post is going to help more people than you know, including lil ole me.
    {{{ <3 Hugs and the highest of fives to/for you <3 }}}
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    Today is kitchen counters and islands. I don't have a lot of counter space, so not much to declutter. Instead, I'm taking everything off, cleaning the counter and wall, cleaning the appliances, and putting them back. Will take more than 15 minutes, but worth it!
    Also, we are taking our broken couch out today, so I will be sweeping and mopping the living room.
    There is so much less stress, and more joy now!

You are so doing it right and righteously...I LOVE your posts Snoo--so inspirational to/for me and others reading this post. BOOM!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I just watched the "Emptynesters" episode of Tidying with Marie Kondo".

https://www.netflix.com/watch/80209469

I haven't read her book, as it's often sounded a bit woo-woo and cult-like, but the show was pretty cool.

It reminded me of me and my husband, and how decluttering our crap brought us closer together. :heart:

@IdLikeToLoseItLoseIt Thanks for letting us know about the show!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!