Let it GO! Decluttering (simplifying) your life of (people, places or things) success stories?

Replies

• RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,158 Member
    @NewLIFEstyle4ME You are amazing! Such an inspiration! I have learned so much from you and this thread. Thank you for always posting. I look forward to seeing your progress. Xo
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    edited December 2018

What i am interested in is how you guys deal with toxic pity party type people. Dont want help with a solution just want to moan. This is what i want to deal with this year. I am someone who can listen and listen until my ears are chewed off and this makes it worst. This is not someone i can ignore.
    This is my husband. I am working on the following 1. I don't need to internalize or personalize whatever is being said. If he feels better by venting and feeling someone hears it, okay, but I will brush it off. 2. Reframing the issue as part of bigger picture and reflect it back. (Last 3 weeks he's been mad at a coworker but this is same person he aligns with at work and realized it yesterday so decided to make nice.) 3. Realize that over time every issue usually will resolve and keep voicing that belief.

My happy news: Have a couple shoeboxes full of old photos. So stuck a bunch in everyone's Christmas cards, which was fun to sort and figure who would enjoy.

Hi Cory and {{{ HUGS }}}} I really and truly appreciate your contributing to this thread so very much. What you've shared is so terrific--I just love it, every bit of what you've so wonderfully shared!!!! I REALLY love your happy news too--YAY YOU and
    {{{{ <3 Hugs again <3 ]]]]]

• NewLIFEstyle4ME
    edited January 2019
    RubyRed427 wrote: »
    @NewLIFEstyle4ME You are amazing! Such an inspiration! I have learned so much from you and this thread. Thank you for always posting. I look forward to seeing your progress. Xo

How kind of you, and It takes one to know one, you are so a truly an amazing woman too. Your posts are so meaningful and you ALWAYS contribute such REAL issues that are not only thought provoking but VERY helpful too.
    You also are super mega encouraging to me as well {{{{ <3 Hugs <3 }}}}

RubyRed427 wrote: »
    I wish my sister could read these tips on FEAR, HONESTY and LOVE. She lets everything affect her; past grievances from years ago are stuck on a loop in her thinking. I took a screen shot of your wise words. Recently, I was bold and told my friend to “mind her own business.” She’s one of those feisty intimidating friends who speaks her mind and I just nod and listen. Well, she was raging about her inlaws and their choices (which none affect her directly). And I held up my hand like a stop sign!! And said, “ you know what? You have to let that go, mind your own business, it has nothing to do with you. “ I felt an inch taller after that. :)

Ruby, this post made me feel an inch taller--I just LOVE it! What's so utterly amazing is when we forsake fear, step up to the plate and let our loved ones and friends know in real LOVE and I mean business mode that we're not or no longer going to be their "stomping grounds/doormats...no longer will we be "going along to get along" especially with "those" type of folk, it does some tremendous things in/thus us and them too (our loves/friends who have those type of attitudes/spirits) towards and with us, it will either bring our loved ones and friends closer to us and us to them--as they will develop/see us in a more honorable "light" and way and they will begin to develop a greater respect/respectful way of talking and treating us--it's AMAZING!

Checking folk, not in a nasty or ugly way, in a "I love you, and I love me too" so those days are so OVER, me allowing you to "dump" on me--in total REAL love (for them and yourself) WOW...once you begin to do this on the regular, people respect and actually ADMIRE you more--I'm talking from experience. It's an absolutely tremendous way of living/thinking/loving this way!!! Again, without an ounce of YUCK, actually handling yourself in FEARLESS meekness and humility with them, I MEAN BUSINESS is not only for yoursake, but theirs too--it's truly not even necessary to "go there" just CHOOSING to give fake/lying FEAR the boot and putting on real love, in a just I mean business way. BOOM...here come either real fellowship or the peace of them booking up out of your life with the quickness.

No more... "I'm shy, I'm scared, I'm (fill in the blank with a reason we let people run over us), because you're doing it in REAL fearlessness, REAL honesty, and REAL love, and REAL "this people pleasing is a LIE" and I'm done with that foul business of trying to please and get people to (fill in the blank with the BOGUS reason we've been/are people pleasers)--cause IT (being a "man/people pleaser) DON'T WORK--NEVER has and NEVER will), period. If I can and DO do it, anyone can!

Tough/REAL Loving our, ummmmm, troublesome and/or pushy loved ones and friends and insisting that they "check themselves" when dealing/talking to us and no longer allowing/permitting/ignoring their "bad/negative habit" of running over us, no longer "allowing" them use us for their "dumping grounds" and/or our "FEARLESSLY/HONESTLY/LOVINGLY "checking them and checking them with the quickness" IMMEDIATELY AND CONSISTENTLY will cause them again, to either garner more respect for us or LEARN to take that "mess" somewhere else and will leave us alone--I LOVE THAT! It helps them and us too. Makes us wonder why we waited so long to say "no more". Love ya Boo!
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    edited January 2019
    This is one of my favorite threads to peruse. Nothing personal to contribute at the moment, but I was re-reading a poetry anthology and one poem made me think of this thread:

let it go — the
    smashed word broken
    open vow or
    the oath cracked length
    wise — let it go it
    was sworn to
    go

let them go — the
    truthful liars and
    the false fair friends
    and the boths and
    neithers — you must let them go they
    were born
    to go

let all go — the
    big small middling
    tall bigger really
    the biggest and all
    things — let all go
    dear
    so comes love

-e.e. cummings

Hey Copper...poetry, Poetry, POETRY!!!!!! The answer is YES to poems/poetry and this one in particular. How fabulous and RARE it is that I see poems/poetry here, lovely beautiful, MEANINGFUL poems/poetry. I love it!!!

Thank you ever so very much for contributing to this thread--you ROCK!
    <3o:)<3
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    edited January 2019
    My wife always says, "don't let your stuff own you"!!!! It's true! I've slowly come to adapt that saying and it really does help.

Uhhhhhhhhhh...BOOM! to your wife and you--I super dig this "don't let your stuff own you"!!!! it so real, so powerful (FULL of power) right and righteous, cause "your stuff" WILL absolutely, positively unequivocally own you (if you allow/let it) FOR SURE--I love it! Thank you (and your wife) so much for contributing to this thread. o:)<3o:)
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    My wife always says, "don't let your stuff own you"!!!! It's true! I've slowly come to adapt that saying and it really does help.

@JohnnytotheB Great saying!!

It's kind of like these objects that clutter up homes are like people wanting to hold on to memories.

I'll still have the memories if I get rid of the object.

Humans being what they are, memories usually have some sort of guilt, regret, or morbid feelings attached to them too.

I don't want things popping up in my vision to remind me of that any more than my neurons firing already do.
  • snoo61
    snoo61 Posts: 549 Member
    I cleaned off my fake kitchen island this morning. I have things on the couch, from it, have to figure out where to put them. If they are still there this weekend, out they go. Happy New Year, we can do this!
  • snoo61
    Today, I begin the decluttering of my clothing, I have kept clothes in bins and even in my closet that in reality I will probably never wear again because I will probably not get to that size again for a few years and they won't be in style any longer anyway. I need to just LET GO. My goal is to try on every single item. If I don't love it or it doesn't fit, it gets donated or tossed. At the end of this declutter session, there should only be clothes in my closet and my dresser that I love and feel good in when I wear them.

This is most likely going to be pretty painful, but it's time to get honest with myself and get rid of the old and start over new.

Just keep in mind that when you get to that size, you'll deserve new clothes. :)
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    edited January 2019
    Orphia wrote: »

snoo61 wrote: »
    Decluttering can be part of cleaning. Today when doing the dishes, I also cleaned the area where our cooking oils and spreads stand.

I also found and recycled a large empty box in one of the kitchen cupboards. Yay, some more space!

You're right. Since I found this thread, I've become more aware of what I look at while cleaning. The things I have become aware of surprise me because I've looked at them for years.

Yes!

Today I'm in the process of washing curtains that I don't think have been washed in 25 years.

Threw out (recycled bottles) dozens of long-expired spices from the kitchen cupboard too.

Some tins of spice were even going rusty!

Girrrrrrlllllllll, you got me both cracking up AND provoking me to think once again. WOW--I just appreciate you so much. "Haven't washed the curtain in maybe 25 years--ya say?!!???? There you go again, helping me to "see" somethings/some areas I've ignored and/or NEVER thought of. PLUS your sharing give me and MANY others such hope and encouragement that we are so not alone in this struggle/battle. I LOVE that!!!!

I'm sitting here typing looking at some curtains that I too have NEVER washed these curtains since I purchased them some years ago too--duh and wow. I don't have many curtains around here, but the ones I have, have NEVER been taken down and washed/cleaned. THANK YOU BELOVED FOR always helping me (and MANY others reading but not commenting) "discover" new areas of "attack & conquer" in this wonderful deal of decluttering. You've proven once again that this business of decluttering is NEVER a "I got this or all done", nope. Plus I'm going to wash these curtains and have FUN with the N.E.A.T. exercising of ironing them and dancing while I do.
    {{{{{{ Super HUGS }}}}}}}}

[...] decluttering is very much akin to "maintenance" in weight blastification. It's a life long deal and a GREAT one at that.

I LOVE that!!!!

Me too girlfriend, me too!

Big, big, hugs!!! xoxo I love this thread sooooo much!! :heart:

Hahaha, I stuffed up the curtain-washing and used too much bleach... they were soooo clean, but the stripe pattern had gone blotchy. :s:D

I told my (amazing) mum, and she's made me some really lovely new curtains!!! Thanks, mum!! :smile: :heart:

She was really happy to see me doing a big spring(summer)-clean in the house this weekend. Like Ruby's mum, she's very tidy.

We have cupboard doors which had had paint come off around the handles - I repainted them and they look awesome!!![

Girl, me too...I LOVE this thread! Awwwww, I'm sorry about your curtains, but I bet the smell terrific, I love your attitude about it though, so, ummmm....COOL!

Let me tell you about my adventure in curtain washing this morning, one pair of them are (or should I say "were") thin-ish and "fancy pant-ish" ( I didn't spend a lot for them when I got them, I got them from Marshall's or Ross or some place like that years ago) I put those bad boys in the washer and forgot to put the spin cycle on delicate or low (had them on HIGH spin, and when I took them out, they looked like a cyclone had hit them or something, ripped to absolute shreads :|:*:# ruined. Oh well, se la vie and counting it ALL joy--big time. Time for a change (and I'm looking forward to getting some new CUTER ones too--this mistakes helps me stick to my rule of getting rid of something, BEFORE I buy something new) anyhoo and YAY for this (mine, not yours) accident/mistake. When I read about your adventure in curtain washing, made me smile from ear to ear, because what happened to a pair of mine.

You're super wise/inventive/practical, "painting around the handles your cupboards", I love it and bet the they look smashing and YAY YOU!

• PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,334 Member
    Today, I begin the decluttering of my clothing, I have kept clothes in bins and even in my closet that in reality I will probably never wear again because I will probably not get to that size again for a few years and they won't be in style any longer anyway. I need to just LET GO. My goal is to try on every single item. If I don't love it or it doesn't fit, it gets donated or tossed. At the end of this declutter session, there should only be clothes in my closet and my dresser that I love and feel good in when I wear them.

This is most likely going to be pretty painful, but it's time to get honest with myself and get rid of the old and start over new.

Just keep in mind that when you get to that size, you'll deserve new clothes. :)

Ohhh! Good way to think about it! Heck yeah! I will... :mrgreen:

I have a feeling when I get done with this, I will have to go to the store and buy more now because I truly don't have much that fits me and is actually comfortable. I feel that I should have at least 5 outfits for work that I feel good in right now the way I am. But is that rewarding myself for gaining weight? IDK...I feel it has more to do with having some self-confidence. :confused:
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    I cleaned off my fake kitchen island this morning. I have things on the couch, from it, have to figure out where to put them. If they are still there this weekend, out they go. Happy New Year, we can do this!

Hahahahaha, Snoo you crack me up "fake kitchen island" I just love me some you o:) YAY you and we can/WILL do this in our own sweet time-slowly but showly!

BOOM!
    That's the ticket.

• NewLIFEstyle4ME

Honey, seriously...there is something utterly FABULOUS walking into y/our closet that's all neat and organized and uncluttered with a bunch of old "stuff" that's been collecting dust. Walking into my closet makes me feel like a first class winner and all time champion. Helps getting ready to go oout and aboot easier/faster too. Super mega YAY YOU!!!!!!
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    edited January 2019
    Hey gang!

Well, it's 2019 (ALREADY?!?) Seems like just yesterday it was, ummmm...1967 or 2003 or something. WOW, time flies fast. May this year bring us all the glorious and wonderful (full of wonder) CHANGE in every area of our lives. Be it good, bad or indifferent, may we embrace change and all it's trials, tribulations and great times as lessons we must not only learn but APPLY to our lives, daily.

Let the decluttering, weight blastification, LET IT GO and DON'T LOOK BACK adventures continue and/or begin, "bring it" cause we're ready, willing and able to CHOOSE to accomplish these changes in our lives, our thinking/mind-sets, doing and being.

Let us throw down the gauntlet of ugh-ish and yuck-ish people/places and things in our hearts and minds, from our environments and lives, that are hindering/defeating/holding us back from health and joy and REAL love and CHOOSE to get outta the self-imposed prisons/boxes we're/we've put(ting) ourselves in by taking our time and doing it (making these changes) right and righteously, because we can WILL, period! YAY US!!!!

o:)<3o:) {{{{ Mega love and HUGS to us all }}}}}} o:)<3o:)

P.S. BOOM!
  • snoo61

Ohhh! Good way to think about it! Heck yeah! I will... :mrgreen:

I have a feeling when I get done with this, I will have to go to the store and buy more now because I truly don't have much that fits me and is actually comfortable. I feel that I should have at least 5 outfits for work that I feel good in right now the way I am. But is that rewarding myself for gaining weight? IDK...I feel it has more to do with having some self-confidence. :confused:

You are celebrating who you are at this moment. Its a great gift and does inspire confidence.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!