Let it GO! Decluttering (simplifying) your life of (people, places or things) success stories?

Replies

• Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,130 Member
    Pillows update: I washed two pillows today and I am happy with the results. They look nice, fluffy and fresh.

The pillows were in pretty good condition, including the covers (I washed them too). No yellow marks or stains. The pillows were in one of the guest rooms, and they are only used once a year (grandchildren rooms). When I removed the covers, I noticed the brand and I realized that they were very old since that store closed long time ago.

I didn't mind if the washing was going to be successful or not because the pillows were old, but now that everything turned so well, they will stay in the same room for a while longer. However, I am thinking in changing the pillows in the main guest room since they are also old and more worn out because they used more often. Probably not worth washing.

@NewLIFEstyle4ME Thank you for the links. They were very helpful, but I admit that I didn’t follow the instructions as written all the way. Nevertheless, I had great results.

• NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    edited May 2019
    I read and donated around 150 books off my bookshelves in the past year and a half. I'm down to 236 books on my bookshelves right now. I'm hoping to get down to under 200 books by the time I move. My books are sorted into two groups. The books I intend to keep and the books I will read and then donate. I'm currently reading a book a week.

You're a first class winner and all time champion--YAY YOU! I love reading and books so much and before this LET IT GO AND DON'T LOOK BACK adventure, I had maybe 1,000 books (okay, I had MORE than 1,000 books) I had so many books, I had to use/redesign one of my rooms into a library--filled with bookshelves and reading areas that was/used to be a cluttered MESS--all the time. I gave away, and tossed ( :o:#:/ ) hundreds and hundreds and HUNDREDS of books. I threw away a ton--LITERALLY of books ( and thus of cash getting) getting rid of those books but I also threw away an "addiction" of sorts and I don't miss one book I got rid of and my library is now so pretty and practical--just a lovely space now (inside my mind and heart AND home).

Once again, you so rock and I admire you so! {{{ Hugs & High Fives & THANK YOU so much for posting)
    o:)<3o:)
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    edited May 2019
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    Pillows update: I washed two pillows today and I am happy with the results. They look nice, fluffy and fresh.

The pillows were in pretty good condition, including the covers (I washed them too). No yellow marks or stains. The pillows were in one of the guest rooms, and they are only used once a year (grandchildren rooms). When I removed the covers, I noticed the brand and I realized that they were very old since that store closed long time ago.

I didn't mind if the washing was going to be successful or not because the pillows were old, but now that everything turned so well, they will stay in the same room for a while longer. However, I am thinking in changing the pillows in the main guest room since they are also old and more worn out because they used more often. Probably not worth washing.

@NewLIFEstyle4ME Thank you for the links. They were very helpful, but I admit that I didn’t follow the instructions as written all the way. Nevertheless, I had great results.

{{{{{{{ <3 Gisel <3 }}}}}}}}} You are such a superstar, period. I have to admit, the sale on pillows/bedding was a "who can say NO" deal, so I purchased new pillows and bedding. Another reason I purchased new ones is I'm decorating/re-designing/re-organizing my bedroom into an even more "spa" like space and it's looking tremendous thus far. I am going to wash the children's pillows today and will let you know how it turns out! Thank you Gisel for being a source of inspiration and for being so bold/cool to try it. I'm thrilled they turned out great--YAY YOU!!!!
  • Allgaun
    Allgaun Posts: 221 Member
    Books
    Before you dump them in a libraries return bin, make sure they accept them! I work at a library and we DO NOT accept donations. Anything dropped in our return box is thrown out. Especially magazines (including National Geographic) and text books.

Save yourself some money anyway and use your public library, why own a book your only going to read once?
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    edited May 2019
    Allgaun wrote: »
    Books
    Before you dump them in a libraries return bin, make sure they accept them! I work at a library and we DO NOT accept donations. Anything dropped in our return box is thrown out. Especially magazines (including National Geographic) and text books.

Save yourself some money anyway and use your public library, why own a book your only going to read once?

Thank you ever so much for these excellent tips and for your contribution to this thread!

Also, probably about 90% or more of the books I had and have are so old and/or not popular, many of the books I love, their copyrights have expired, and were/are not available at our library (anywhere in my entire state) nor in stock or available via inter-library loans--what a major bummer that the greater majority of subjects and books I am and always have been interested in reading/studying are RARELY available at public libraries. I have made special requests for my library to order certain books that were available/still in circulation that I've wanted and over a say, 20+ year period--they've only ordered a handful or less, so I had to order/buy them. I tend(ed) to be interested and read/buy books that are no longer in circulation and hard to find books or again not popular AT ALL o:) . Also, the greater majority of my books that I LOVE and am also attracted to/interested in are/were non-fiction and/or very old classic fiction (from the 18th/19th/early 20th century) books that again, are no longer in circulation as well.

Some of the subjects and books I love are online, like Project Gutenberg
    https://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page
    "Our eBooks may be freely used in the United States because most are not protected by U.S. copyright law, usually because their copyrights have expired. They may not be free of copyright in other countries."

and more, but I really don't like reading books on-line, I like the feel/experience of "real books" reading better than reading/studying online or via some device, plus I tend to make a lot of notes in the books I read too--which of course one can not/must not do in public library books.

• NewLIFEstyle4ME
    edited May 2019
    W <3 W I washed one of 3 of my children's pillows. The boy's pillows were super yuck to the MAX. One of my daughter's pillow (in the middle) was okay, not as super yellow and "nasty" looking as my sons. WOW...I too didn't follow directions in the links. I put them in my washing machine with half a cup (the cap from the tide) of tide oxi-clean and half a cup mixed in the tide with Dr. Bronner's Hemp Lavender castile liquid soap in the soap dispenser and bleach in the bleach dispenser and put the washer on permanent press. WOW, they came out like NEW (not a trace of yellow nor YUCK)--super fluffy and smelling like sunshine and, ummm, LOVE :) --they smell ultra mega super BETTER than clean and soooooooooo very good!!!!! I put them in the dryer for 20 minutes on air dry, 5 minutes on bedding (medium high heat) and 10 minutes back on air dry and they look and smell absolutely tremendous!

Here's the before and afters:
    BEFORE:
    94z896f3qo4n.jpg

AFTER
    y9gyk3ym2kcb.jpg

YAYYYYY!!!! I'll be washing pillows from now on and will wash the rest of my children's pillows today too!

They smell and look soooooo GOOD--BOOM!

P.S. THANK YOU Gisel o:)<3o:)
  • Gisel2015
    @NewLIFEstyle4ME

Good job! Where do you buy the "Bronner's Hemp Lavender castile liquid soap?" I like the idea of adding it to my bedding and towels washes.

I didn't use bleach or clorox on my wash because the pillows were not bad at all, but I will consider it in the future, if needed. I used the " all white" cycle in the washer because it is the only one that allows me to increase the temp to hot in my machine.

In the dryer, I used the "delicate" option and when the cycle was done I let the pillows air dry on top of the machine for half an hour, and place them back in the dryer for an additional 20 minutes of "air dry/fluff" option. I also put two tennis balls inside a pair of socks in the dryer and a damp towel with few drops of lavender essential oil.

I think that I complicated things a little bit but it was my first experience washing pillows, and I had the time. Glad that what ever we did worked fine for us.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    edited May 2019
    @NewLIFEstyle4ME

Good job! Where do you buy the "Bronner's Hemp Lavender castile liquid soap?" I like the idea of adding it to my bedding and towels washes.

I didn't use bleach or clorox on my wash because the pillows were not bad at all, but I will consider it in the future, if needed. I used the " all white" cycle in the washer because it is the only one that allows me to increase the temp to hot in my machine.

In the dryer, I used the "delicate" option and when the cycle was done I let the pillows air dry on top of the machine for half an hour, and place them back in the dryer for an additional 20 minutes of "air dry/fluff" option. I also put two tennis balls inside a pair of socks in the dryer and a damp towel with few drops of lavender essential oil.

I think that I complicated things a little bit but it was my first experience washing pillows, and I had the time. Glad that what ever we did worked fine for us.

Dr%20Bronner%20All%20In%20One%20Liquid%20Soaps.JPG

Here's more info on site that sells Dr. Bronner's than you'd care to learn in a lifetime, I don't buy my online though..
    https://www.netnutri.com/pure-castile-liquid-soap

Dr. Bronner's is one of the "declutterer's BEST Friend...I know it's mine.

I use all of the Dr. Bronner's Castile soaps in everything from "almost" soup to nuts--seriously you can use this wonderful product for so many many different things--check out the link and it'll tell you all about it. I LOVE this product so much--I love them ALL. but Almond is my regular go to for clothes laundry, I use them all, but use Almond the most. I used Lavender on the pillows and my bedding because I associate lavender with sleep. I find it at health food stores, Trader Joe's, Target and find super great deals on it at Marshalls or T.J. Maxx. My favorites are the Lavender, Rose, Almond and Peppermint (my husband loves his tee-shirts and jeans washed in the peppermint). If there is some sort of sickness trying to creep in, I use the Tea Tree, Eucalyptus and Citrus. I;ve tried the baby/unscented one...but I'm a "scents" lover--so I use that one the least. These soaps are AMAZING for how much stuff you can use them for...it's called 18 n 1 soap--because it lists at least 18 different uses for it. It's kinda pricey, but if you buy the gallon sizes, it'll last forever. Here's the link to where to find it:

https://www.drbronner.com/store-locator/

I have special laundry dryer balls to help dry time ( you'll find them at Marshall's for dirt cheap and they last forever), but I didn't use them/anything in the dryer with the pillows and they turned out GREAT!

81qGRkbizWL._SL1500_.jpg
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    edited May 2019
    Most pillows wash fine, but occasionally the fiberfill will shift & lump up terribly. (I’ve had it happen twice). Also on the lavender scent...I was having problems with my ears feeling full..the Dr thought I needed tubes, so sent me to an ENT. She decided it looked more like swelling from allergies. Trying to figure out what I could be allergic to, we realized I was using lavender Downy. Stopped it & I got better..no tubes needed. Now only use non scented.

Girllllll...Thank you soooo much for sharing this. I use lavender a LOT and the lavender's I use are not synthetic and contain no synthetic stuff ( I don't know if that makes a difference), but the Dr. Bronner's and lavender oils and perfumes I use are organic/natural with no artificial ingredients at all. Maybe it was the stuff downey used and called lavender, but maybe it was some chemical that smelled like lavender--Be that as it may, I super appreciate you sharing this--and I'm so GLAD you discovered the issue and didn't have to go thru any scary trials and medical tribulations--you're the BEST!
  • Gisel2015
    @NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Thank you very much for the information about the Castile soap and the dryers' balls (it does sound a little bit kinky, doesn't it :p ). Have a good evening.
    G.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    edited May 2019
    @NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Thank you very much for the information about the Castile soap and the dryers' balls (it does sound a little bit kinky, doesn't it :p ). Have a good evening.
    G.

Woooooohhhhhhh, "dryer balls" :o:D:#:D:o I didn't think about that until you mentioned it....hahahahahaha+YIKES+hahahahahaha...sorry about that. That's what they're called--Whitmor Dryer Balls - Eco Friendly Fabric Softener Alternative (Set of 4) https://www.amazon.com/Whitmor-Dryer-Balls-Friendly-Alternative/dp/B007Y2TBI4/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1BNMMD81UFPDW&amp;keywords=laundry+balls&amp;qid=1558486625&amp;s=gateway&amp;sprefix=laundry+balls,aps,160&amp;sr=8-3
    hahahahha WHEW!
    Goodnight to you dearheart! hahahahahaha again and YIKES again too :D:s:#:s:D
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    edited May 2019
    Operation get all the children's pillows in the house clean and looking and smelling like LOVE...DONE! Also, operation get my bedroom to look/feel like a lovely spa and chillaxing space...DONE! All of my new pillows arrived today and my new bedding set (comforter, sheets, shams and pillow cases and matching valances) and pillows are so gorgeous--so utterly pretty and unlike anything I've ever owned before ( I've changed my entire "style" since this decluttering and weight blastification "business"), but the sheets, pillowcases, comforter, and shams smelled like....ummmmm, "poison" or something, so I had to wash them all (except the lovely matching valances they didn't smell like YUCK like the other stuff for some reason--Thank God)...they're made from a different type of heavier material or something other than the bedding--and didn't smell like the >:) like the bedding did) I had to wash ALL the bedding--(even though they are all brand new). So my bedroom not only looks like a dream room, it smells like it too. ( I used double portion of the lavender Dr. Bonner's on the comforter and things). It's super late and I'm super hyped about how everything looks in the house. Wow--just plain ole WOW!

Life is GOOD all the time (even when it seems/feels like it's not and especially when it seems and feels like it does) o:) --I'm GLAD to be alive and well, Thank you Lord!
  • serendipity22
    serendipity22 Posts: 248 Member
    edited May 2019
    Allgaun wrote: »
    Books

I donated my 150 books to a charity book shop a little at a time over the last year and a half. I would bring a bag of books and they would look them over before accepting them. Then they would sell them and the money would go to helping the homeless. I also support and use the library often but I enjoy having the books that I plan to keep.
  • serendipity22
    serendipity22 Posts: 248 Member
    I read and donated around 150 books off my bookshelves in the past year and a half. I'm down to 236 books on my bookshelves right now. I'm hoping to get down to under 200 books by the time I move. My books are sorted into two groups. The books I intend to keep and the books I will read and then donate. I'm currently reading a book a week.

You're a first class winner and all time champion--YAY YOU! I love reading and books so much and before this LET IT GO AND DON'T LOOK BACK adventure, I had maybe 1,000 books (okay, I had MORE than 1,000 books) I had so many books, I had to use/redesign one of my rooms into a library--filled with bookshelves and reading areas that was/used to be a cluttered MESS--all the time. I gave away, and tossed ( :o:#:/ ) hundreds and hundreds and HUNDREDS of books. I threw away a ton--LITERALLY of books ( and thus of cash getting) getting rid of those books but I also threw away an "addiction" of sorts and I don't miss one book I got rid of and my library is now so pretty and practical--just a lovely space now (inside my mind and heart AND home).

Once again, you so rock and I admire you so! {{{ Hugs & High Fives & THANK YOU so much for posting)

Thank you. My library now makes my feel calm and relaxed. The books that I kept make me happy and I refer to them often. I still have a bunch of books to donate but I want to read them first. They will be donated a little at a time. Hopefully, by next year I will be down to 150 to 200 books.
  • snoo61
    snoo61 Posts: 549 Member
    About 7 years ago I bought a library Murphy bed for the spare room. All my books fit on it, they are organized, and I got rid of a lot of bookcases. I have a lot of them but I re-read them. If I won't read again, I pass them to my neighbor.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    My husband loves our new bedroom so much--he said he slept like a baby in/on our new bedding and just raved on and on about how wonderful the new pillows feel. One of my daughters said our bedroom looks a luxury resort hotel suite--THAT'S EXACTLY the look/feel I was going for. To make our beloved bedroom look and feel like we're on a fabulous vacation/STAYcation everynight--YAY and BOOM!! o:)o:)o:)
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    snoo61 wrote: »
    About 7 years ago I bought a library Murphy bed for the spare room. All my books fit on it, they are organized, and I got rid of a lot of bookcases. I have a lot of them but I re-read them. If I won't read again, I pass them to my neighbor.

Girlllllll....Murphy bed's are EVERYTHING! I haven't thought of a Murphy Bed in forever. I remember Murphy beds so much when I was a wee little one=they were super popular years and years ago. I google it and see some fabulous options for a Murphy Bed--I love you Snoo, you're so smart and cool like that--YAY! Thanks for mentioning it! Talk about decluttering and useful good looking AND practical things, a murphy bed is, tremendous, period.

• NewLIFEstyle4ME

Thank you. My library now makes my feel calm and relaxed. The books that I kept make me happy and I refer to them often. I still have a bunch of books to donate but I want to read them first. They will be donated a little at a time. Hopefully, by next year I will be down to 150 to 200 books.

My pleasure! I LOVE how you described your library as making you feel "calm and relaxed". That's what decluttering does to/for you and your environment. Calming and Relaxing and a big ole sense of accomplishment too. YAY YOU!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!