Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Let it GO! Decluttering (simplifying) your life of (people, places or things) success stories?

1495052545563

Replies

  • Snowflake1968Snowflake1968 Posts: 3,417Member Member Posts: 3,417Member Member
    sfdeva wrote: »
    A friend's blog was talking about using a one minute rule. Will it take one minute to hang up/put away and item vs laying down where it doesn't belong. If so then put it away. I have been thinking about this and trying to do this whenever possible. Also when done with a sewing project I am making it a practice to clean/organize the sewing room before leaving it or starting a new project and after taking a lot of time to find a rotary cutting board I had misplaced (it had slid behind a desk) I reorganized my pegboard so my cutting tools could be right above my cutting table.

    One minute rule sounds great:) I'm trying something similar - the one 'touch' rule - right now. You only touch something once, so if I pick something up, I put it away. I don't put it down somewhere it doesn't belong only to have to touch it again. Might combine the two and do that for one minute:)

    That’s a great rule too, bonus if you touch something that belongs in another room you get some steps in!
  • Snowflake1968Snowflake1968 Posts: 3,417Member Member Posts: 3,417Member Member
    I am still working on cleaning out some old paper and stickers from the craftroom. I have one large reusable shopping bag full that I am taking to a young man that teaches grade 2. My little scraps and stickers will end up being treasured artwork on some parents fridge.

    I still need to go through the PJ drawer and I think the closet again. I noticed one of the talks I wear for sleepwear is now getting indecent in the chest area. That is the same size as all my tanks.

    Ok off to go help my daughter get ready for my Granddaughter’s birthday party.



  • OrphiaOrphia Posts: 6,815Member Member Posts: 6,815Member Member
    'The 4 types of friendships I threw out when I Marie Kondo-ed my social circle.'

    https://www.mamamia.com.au/marie-kondo-tidying-friendships/

    A good read that reminded me of our discussions in here.
  • laurenq1991laurenq1991 Posts: 313Member Member Posts: 313Member Member
    Donated some extra nonperishables to my town's food pantry today, in a reusable shopping bag. We have too many because my husband used to have a bad habit of buying new ones every time he forgot his reusable bags. The last time I donated to the pantry the ladies working there were very happy about the reusable bags and said that they were very useful to have around. Also yesterday I saw a bin in a nearby store parking lot that said "clothing recycling" so I have to find out if they take worn out clothing to recycle into insulation/rags/etc. because it would be really easy to drop off our bag of worn out clothing there.
    snoo61 wrote: »
    Got some donations packed up today. Called a church that's taking donations and they gave me a number to call. Called, and that lady said she knew someone who just got a fema trailer and needs everything. So, I'm waiting for her to call, so we can set a meet time. So happy someone can use these things!

    That's great that your stuff is going to help someone rebuild their life! May all our donations end up with people whose lives are improved by them.

  • cory17cory17 Posts: 403Member Member Posts: 403Member Member
    snoo61 wrote: »
    Got some donations packed up today. Called a church that's taking donations and they gave me a number to call. Called, and that lady said she knew someone who just got a fema trailer and needs everything. So, I'm waiting for her to call, so we can set a meet time. So happy someone can use these things!

    That's great! A positive in both directions! Somehow, it's easier (for me) to send things off when hear there's a need.

  • cory17cory17 Posts: 403Member Member Posts: 403Member Member
    snoo61 wrote: »
    The young lady called and came over today. She hugged me at the door, I thought she was gonna cry. She was shocked that the dishes matched, that there were so many different basic items. But she teared up when she saw the "pretties" , telling me she can't take them. I told her she has to, unless she doesn't like them. ( pretties included a decorative clock and vases). She even took a couple of the dog rugs I've been making.
    I have donated for years, by dropping things off. I had no plans that this time would be different, but it was. I feel blessed to actually meet a mom of 2 little boys, who, with her husband, is trying so hard to make their world right again.

    She put a face on the good you are doing and made it personal! You are inspiring me to step it up. Have a toaster in the garage - we don't use anymore, just needs cleaning, and it's leaving.
  • IdLikeToLoseItLoseItIdLikeToLoseItLoseIt Posts: 579Member, Premium Member Posts: 579Member, Premium Member
    I read this a few months ago, coincidentally around the same time that I also decided to get back into MFP. The holidays were hectic (what's new?), but I was making slow progress cleaning out a cupboard here, organizing my vanity there.

    I finally dedicated my entire Friday evening to cleaning out my x-mas tree and finding permanent spots for a bunch of crap that was out perpetually. I vacuumed and bought flowers, and now my place finally feels like a well-kept home for the first time since moving in about 5 years ago (seriously). I am beyond motivated and I now look forward to coming home and to cooking in a clean, organized kitchen!

    I still have a couple of piles of paperwork to sort through and file, but I've got a ton of stuff checked off my old to-do list and my new tasks on my list are improvements that make me happy, and are not necessary tasks.

    This has cleared my mind more than I really thought possible. I am so motivated! Thanks for sharing, everyone. You're all so inspiring! :blush:

    That is fantastic, what a great accomplishment!
  • IdLikeToLoseItLoseItIdLikeToLoseItLoseIt Posts: 579Member, Premium Member Posts: 579Member, Premium Member
    snoo61 wrote: »
    The young lady called and came over today. She hugged me at the door, I thought she was gonna cry. She was shocked that the dishes matched, that there were so many different basic items. But she teared up when she saw the "pretties" , telling me she can't take them. I told her she has to, unless she doesn't like them. ( pretties included a decorative clock and vases). She even took a couple of the dog rugs I've been making.
    I have donated for years, by dropping things off. I had no plans that this time would be different, but it was. I feel blessed to actually meet a mom of 2 little boys, who, with her husband, is trying so hard to make their world right again.

    What a sweet encounter, thanks for sharing. :smile:
  • callmecarinacallmecarina Posts: 145Member Member Posts: 145Member Member
    cory17 wrote: »
    My mother is also a paper hoarder. Because she donates to charities, she's now on virtually every mission, charity, whatever mailing list out there. The solicitations come in bunches and she's so afraid of identity theft (nevermind that her info is ALREADY being sold and resold) that insists on cutting out name & address from every one of those solicitations and shredding it. So the amount of time involved to actually do what she wants is horrific and overwhelming and her desk has mounds of this trash piled and falling off. (She was hospitalized last year and I stole piles of this junk mail and disposed of it.)

    Oh my god, this is my landlady (and friend)!! I had offered to help her organize and I went by her house twice to help. She hoards these charity mailers, but I did manage to convince her to throw most of them out the last time I was there. But she is insistent on shredding her address, even though her info is out there already...

    I haven't helped her with that in a while. I should go over next week and do another round. Thanks for reminding me! :blush:
  • cory17cory17 Posts: 403Member Member Posts: 403Member Member
    I read this a few months ago, coincidentally around the same time that I also decided to get back into MFP. The holidays were hectic (what's new?), but I was making slow progress cleaning out a cupboard here, organizing my vanity there.

    I finally dedicated my entire Friday evening to cleaning out my x-mas tree and finding permanent spots for a bunch of crap that was out perpetually. I vacuumed and bought flowers, and now my place finally feels like a well-kept home for the first time since moving in about 5 years ago (seriously). I am beyond motivated and I now look forward to coming home and to cooking in a clean, organized kitchen!

    I still have a couple of piles of paperwork to sort through and file, but I've got a ton of stuff checked off my old to-do list and my new tasks on my list are improvements that make me happy, and are not necessary tasks.

    This has cleared my mind more than I really thought possible. I am so motivated! Thanks for sharing, everyone. You're all so inspiring! :blush:

    Kudos to you for a great job!! (It sounds like you have conquered Kondo challenges)
  • cory17cory17 Posts: 403Member Member Posts: 403Member Member
    cory17 wrote: »
    My mother is also a paper hoarder. Because she donates to charities, she's now on virtually every mission, charity, whatever mailing list out there. The solicitations come in bunches and she's so afraid of identity theft (nevermind that her info is ALREADY being sold and resold) that insists on cutting out name & address from every one of those solicitations and shredding it. So the amount of time involved to actually do what she wants is horrific and overwhelming and her desk has mounds of this trash piled and falling off. (She was hospitalized last year and I stole piles of this junk mail and disposed of it.)

    Oh my god, this is my landlady (and friend)!! I had offered to help her organize and I went by her house twice to help. She hoards these charity mailers, but I did manage to convince her to throw most of them out the last time I was there. But she is insistent on shredding her address, even though her info is out there already...

    I haven't helped her with that in a while. I should go over next week and do another round. Thanks for reminding me! :blush:

    ANGEL WINGS!! <3 o:)

  • BonnieHosk85BonnieHosk85 Posts: 990Member Member Posts: 990Member Member
    This mother must feel absolutely horrible. I feel so bad for her and am praying that whoever has the money will come forward:

    http://www.walb.com/2019/01/29/family-mistakenly-donates-mug-goodwill-with-stashed-inside/
  • snoo61snoo61 Posts: 454Member Member Posts: 454Member Member
    I read this a few months ago, coincidentally around the same time that I also decided to get back into MFP. The holidays were hectic (what's new?), but I was making slow progress cleaning out a cupboard here, organizing my vanity there.

    I finally dedicated my entire Friday evening to cleaning out my x-mas tree and finding permanent spots for a bunch of crap that was out perpetually. I vacuumed and bought flowers, and now my place finally feels like a well-kept home for the first time since moving in about 5 years ago (seriously). I am beyond motivated and I now look forward to coming home and to cooking in a clean, organized kitchen!

    I still have a couple of piles of paperwork to sort through and file, but I've got a ton of stuff checked off my old to-do list and my new tasks on my list are improvements that make me happy, and are not necessary tasks.

    This has cleared my mind more than I really thought possible. I am so motivated! Thanks for sharing, everyone. You're all so inspiring! :blush:

    Congratulations! What a great accomplishment!
  • snoo61snoo61 Posts: 454Member Member Posts: 454Member Member
    This mother must feel absolutely horrible. I feel so bad for her and am praying that whoever has the money will come forward:

    http://www.walb.com/2019/01/29/family-mistakenly-donates-mug-goodwill-with-stashed-inside/

    I saw this on the news, I hope someone comes forward.
Sign In or Register to comment.