Let it GO! Decluttering (simplifying) your life of (people, places or things) success stories?

Replies

• Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,131 Member
    I agree with the above comments about Christmas. I wish I could be more of a "minimalist” around the holidays but there is a lot of push back from the family, since we still have younger/preteens grandchildren. However, in the last few years I have asked the older grandchildren and my own kids for their Christmas wish list, and I only get them what they really want, but not all of it.

Most of the time, I will give them a gift card for the store of their choice or money, and maybe a small wrapped gift to put under their Christmas tree. They can buy whatever they want and need after the holidays, and they will probably get it cheaper due to the after Christmas sales. We have asked our kids for gift cards for us, either from a restaurant or to Home Depot or Lowell’s since I used them to buy plants for my garden.

My husband and I still exchange gift but they are very practical. I get a facial for my birthday in December and a massage for Christmas, or if I do need something special a gift card. My husband likes gift cards from the barber shop and sometimes I get him an Amazon gift card or one for a local restaurant.

I know that many people find the giving of gift card or money cold and not personal, but I love them and I think that they are better than gifting something that people doesn’t want or needs to be exchanged.

We do have a good recycling program in town. Our garbage collection company provides and extra bin for all recyclable items and I donate a lot of unwanted items, including clothing, to local resale boutiques. I only dump clothing that are not longer usable. Is good to read and see that many people are doing their best to keep the environment clean and safe.
  • cory17
    cory17 Posts: 1,341 Member
    Christmas has downsized dramatically for me. Put up a manger, no tree (excuse is the dog might try to pee on it), stopped cards years ago, and really only do gifts for the grandkids that live near. There's nothing anyone needs, and everyone already has so much, the new just blends into all the stuff. So I prefer dh to do something for me, or fix something I need done, an action. Sometimes he'll buy a bag of mangoes (which I could stuff myself with but try not to). So what do you give dh when he's the one saying we have too much and get rid of it? Not interested in doing or going anywhere - that's what am trying to move the grandkids toward - experiences.
  • katsheare
    katsheare Posts: 1,025 Member
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »
    I'm letting 'Christmas Go' this year...and probably every year after that too.

I was in the mall the other day and it totally made me depressed. SO MUCH STUFF! I couldn't help think most of stuff bought will be in a landfill within the year and what happens to all the crap not sold? And just the amount of plastic bags people had from the stores they purchased their stuff with will absolutely be in the landfill within 24 hours...

Made me sad for our world...and my soul!

I'll be decluttering my holiday this year...I'll be baking my gifts this year and making cards with the decorations I already have (I do have a 'crafty' box full of stuff). I will, however, be purchasing wine to go with my homemade goodies....and that will be that.

I live in a highrise condo and see all the garbage people don't recycle in our building. It's crazy. Literally just today, I saw a huge pile of plastic and cardboard boxes sitting by our 'landfill' garbage...the recycle bins are just a few feet away too...

I feel like I will actually enjoy this season this year :)

If I do decide to purchase some gifts...It'll be from locale, little shops. It's a struggle beyond belief in my city right now...little shops are closing it seems like every day.

There is something I love about seeing what others think I will like, but Christmas for us is of necessity small (we have one small child, partner has 1 sibling (who also has a small family) and my whole family are on another continent) so it's maybe 4 gifts total being opened. And I'm genuinely interested in what comes, but that could be because we keep things so small.

(Possibly worth mentioning that our waste - either recyclable or not - is considerably less than most of our neighbours. Walking on the night before curbside pickups is always a bit eye-opening to me. But we're also huge Freecyclers - both wanted and on offer (mostly on offer), and if Freecycle doesn't want it, it goes to the charity shop.)

And when I do get things for others, they are from our local shops. We are having the same problem of shops closing at an appalling rate.

I call decluttering 'winnowing' (from this story) and while I don't do it in the way the Mrs Schuping does, I do like a good thinning of the stuff every now and again.
  • weatherking2019
    weatherking2019 Posts: 943 Member
    edited December 2019
    I've been doing my "Gifting" differently for awhile now.
    Instead of materialistic gift, I give EXPERIENCE. Last year, I took my kids to LA and stayed with my friends. Gave them an opportunity to see LA and on Xmas day, gave them a ticket to Universal Studios. We played together all day and spent the day making memories... The year before was a BIG trip to Hawaii. We have all these experiences together and pictures from the trip. That to me is a GIFT that we keep 4ever (without clutter!)<3
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Love to hear of how you and your family are celebrating the season. I too love the idea of 'experiences'...that's what we will remember...not the slipper socks 20 years from now lol!

Also, my niece just emailed the family how she is not wanting any gifts this year for her nor her husband. She's hosting a Christmas 'potluck' and wishes that the family bring a dish.

Not sure what the rest of my family thinks about all this...but I'm glad I'm not 'alone' in this change in our family!
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    I’ve been doing a Christmas cleaning this month. I only have one big Ikea bag of wedding stuff left, I started with 4. Everything was either donated or sold, so nothing but literal trash (scraps of fabric and wine corks we used for decoration that started to smell) went to waste. I have one bag and two drawers left to go through and sell, which I’ll do right after the New year, when I’m guessing next year’s brides will go into full bridal mode and start scouring for stuff. My wedding was in August so this stuff has been sitting here for a while, but at least there’s progress.

Today I also reorganized my workout clothes, and I definitely do NOT need any new stuff until I need a smaller size. The only thing I’m considering is new clean running shoes to use on a treadmill instead of outdoors.

I also cleaned the pantry today. Threw out a lot of stuff that had gone bad (crackers really do go stale when there’s a half-opened box sitting there for a year). I’m taking some stuff to the office that’s still good and unopened, but nobody in my house wants to eat.

Every year, I’ve bought a bunch of christmas chocolate boxes and gift-wrapped them all, using them as a decoration until I opened them on Christmas Eve and feasted on all the chocolate. I live in a 2-person household and we used to have probably 10 boxes of chocolate. This year, I think I’ll limit the amount to 3-5, max. I also want to buy less physical presents in general and focus on experiences, for both myself and others. The only exceptions so far have been a Christmas tree ornament for my cousin’s 2-year-old daughter, and presents to donate to a Christmas Tree charity. Local companies participate widely and donations are gathered in our office also, and the presents go to children and teenagers who are customers of the child protective services or other social services, so before Christmas the charity and social workers go through all the donations and decide who gets which gift. I bought three gifts to teenagers, and I have zero issues with buying more stuff instead of experiences when it’s a donation to a child or teenager who would otherwise not get any presents.
  • fitqueenbess
    fitqueenbess Posts: 372 Member
    Wow, this is inspiring and reminds me of a saying in Spanish that says, "The Good Life is not the most, the richest or the finest. The Good Life is that which is adequate." (sounds prettier in Spanish) This is so true! Whether in food choices or stuff choices, we only need that which will enrich our lives!

Sounds like a good new year's focus: Get rid of the stuff I don't want so I can find the stuff I do want.
  • tianaquizhpi
    tianaquizhpi Posts: 1 Member
    Thank you for an insightful share!! Best wishes to everybody on this journey.
  • laurenq1991
    laurenq1991 Posts: 384 Member
    edited December 2019

I was in the mall the other day and it totally made me depressed. SO MUCH STUFF! I couldn't help think most of stuff bought will be in a landfill within the year and what happens to all the crap not sold? And just the amount of plastic bags people had from the stores they purchased their stuff with will absolutely be in the landfill within 24 hours...

I'll be decluttering my holiday this year...I'll be baking my gifts this year and making cards with the decorations I already have (I do have a 'crafty' box full of stuff). I will, however, be purchasing wine to go with my homemade goodies....and that will be that.

I live in a highrise condo and see all the garbage people don't recycle in our building. It's crazy. Literally just today, I saw a huge pile of plastic and cardboard boxes sitting by our 'landfill' garbage...the recycle bins are just a few feet away too...

If I do decide to purchase some gifts...It'll be from locale, little shops. It's a struggle beyond belief in my city right now...little shops are closing it seems like every day.

I know what you mean. I've never been a fan of Christmas for personal reasons, and I feel even more "over it" this year. We have our tree up (it's a 2-foot tree, since that's what we have closet space for). We had a small and simple Thanksgiving dinner that took about 90 minutes to make. Not sure if we will do much for Christmas. We might even go out to eat instead. I didn't ask for any gifts and haven't purchased any yet. I'll get something for my husband if he asks for something specific. We're childfree so that takes a lot of the "keeping up with the Joneses" pressure out of the holidays.

It just seems like most holidays in the US just turn into reasons to stress people out on their limited days off. They feel obligated to buy a bunch of stuff, spend hours cooking, spend time around relatives they may not even necessarily like, etc. It feels like it's about control more than anything else. And few people think about what effect this is having on the environment, and whether any of this is remotely necessary or even enjoyable.
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member

You are such a sweet, caring person. I try to recycle everything and tell my kids I'm trying to save the world. No one person can do it alone, obviously. Lazy people that can't walk an extra few hundred feet to a recycle area disgust me. Last year we found baby toys, good baby toys out at the curb waiting for trash pickup. Seriously there wasn't anything wrong with them, nothing! They are in my house and my little guy plays with them all the time. Geez, donate them! Even if they're dirty, someone would be happy to clean them up and use them and save money, especially this time of year. I don't understand people!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!